Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Impact of Delta Selling Regionals on Flow-through & Flow-back?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DL must not hate it so much, since everyone will be meeting next week to explore how to keep the deals in place. For the time being, the flow continues until further notice.

Bill, there have been some posts in this thread and others from DAL pilots that suggest they want to opt out of their end of the agreement. You yourself posted about people interviewing. Nobody said DAL pilots were spending a lot of time and energy on this topic, but this thread is about the flow through and you have posted in here multiple times. So it is a timely topic and people are interested in it. I have no dog in the fight, but I do have an opinion on how DAL ought to proceed. YMMV.

The deal was real simple. If Compass/Mesaba pilots agreed to be furlough fodder they would get to flow up when hiring resumes. No amount of splitting hairs and contractual wordplay will change that.

This flow through means nothing to you guys. It doesn't affect your seniority, career expectations or paycheck in any way at all. I can't for the life of me understand why some of you are against it. Are you really going to screw a guy out of a chance to land a major airline job just because he didn't interview the same way you did? Is it really all just about ego?

If you want to change the agreement grandfather in the pilots currently at Compass/Mesaba and then close the door, but don't screw the guys that upheld their end of the deal by putting themselves at risk. It's just not right.

I strongly disagree with the Mesaba flow. Always have. Delta/NWA can only flow back the amount of pilots that flow up. I think it's about 15 right now. That's not much furlough protection. The 15 pilots that did flow up were hired at Mesaba in the mid to late 90's well before the flow was established. Most of them had plenty of opportunities to leave given the fact that just about every airline has hired since they started at Mesaba. These pilots were either really bad at interviewing or couldn't take the initiative to move onto a new job. They finally moved on when a new job was just handed to them. That's fine as they are Delta pilots now, but I see no real disadvantage in ending the Mesaba flow. Mesaba didn't hire pilots that went to Mesaba just so they could flow up. Compass did. I've always been a fan of the Compass flow as I truly believe that the flow and the merger combined saved me a furlough. I personally would never have taken a job at Compass due to a flow, but I can see the Compass pilots point of view. Now that Compass is owned by Trans States, I want to see that flow end, but only after all of the pilots at Compass are given their chance to flow up. I don't think it will happen though. My guess is the top 40 at Compass flow up, then the flow is terminated. I don't think anyone else from Mesaba will flow up.

I agree with you completely, especially the grandfathering. It is the right thing to do. There has been a lot of chest thumping about Dals hiring process. Lots of claims about the quality of hires, as if no other majors had standards. Most of these claims come from relative newhires (07-08). They don't say it but I would bet some of these probably feel that the NWA guys should have had to interview. Every major tells the newhire classes that they are the best, the chosen ones, you will be capt. in 5yrs, etc. Some actually believe it, most don't. It appears this last round of hiring had a larger percentage.

The deal was real simple. If Compass/Mesaba pilots agreed to be furlough fodder they would get to flow up when hiring resumes. No amount of splitting hairs and contractual wordplay will change that.

This flow through means nothing to you guys. It doesn't affect your seniority, career expectations or paycheck in any way at all. I can't for the life of me understand why some of you are against it. Are you really going to screw a guy out of a chance to land a major airline job just because he didn't interview the same way you did? Is it really all just about ego?

If you want to change the agreement grandfather in the pilots currently at Compass/Mesaba and then close the door, but don't screw the guys that upheld their end of the deal by putting themselves at risk. It's just not right.

lame pilot unions with VAGUE language & inferior lawyers will ALWAYS lose

DL must not hate it so much, since everyone will be meeting next week to explore how to keep the deals in place.

For what?...to give away a bunch of stuff to "win back" what they ALREADY HAD (or LESS)?????????????????

Cobraair757, Caveman, hockeypilot, slapstick, etc., find out who from your MEC is going to this flow meeting next week to discuss it and write your opinions to them. If they see this is the opinion of many pilots then that may help them make a decision.

DL will always own at least one regional.... in this case OH. Why? Because Delta always have that much more leverage! 'hey, if you don't do these flights for this amount of money, then we will have Comair do it'. Plus, they know the costs of running a regional airline and can use that in negotiations with others in utilizing vertical integration.

There is no flow through for OH; never has been. The comments on flow through's are right on the money though. How is that AA flow through working for Eagle pilots?

Delta apparently wants out of the regional business. (ownership) DL offered Comair for sale too, but so far nobody has made an offer supposedly. Eventually someone will I bet. Maybe Orenstein will make an offer?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back