'I'm not qualified to land plane,' pilot tells passengers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

radarlove

I'm thinking that there might have been a better choice of words when explaining CAT II operations.

A British passenger plane was forced to turn back minutes before landing in Paris because the pilot of 30 years' experience was not qualified to land in fog, an airline confirmed on Thursday. Speaking over the address system as the Flybe flight approached Charles de Gaulle airport, the pilot announced to startled passengers "I am not qualified to land the plane" and turned back to Cardiff.
A spokeswoman for the low-cost airline said the pilot was "an experienced aviator with more than 30 years commercial aviation experience flying a number of different passenger aircraft types."
"He has relatively recently transferred his 'type-rating' from a Bombardier Q300 to a Bombardier Q400 and has not yet completed the requisite low-visibility training to complete a landing in conditions such as the dense fog experienced in Paris Charles de Gaulle," she said.
"The captain therefore quite correctly turned the aircraft around and returned to Cardiff; a decision which the company stands by 100 percent."
One passenger, 29-year-old Cassandra Grant, said she had missed a job interview in the French capital as a result.
She told the South Wales Echo newspaper: "Twenty minutes outside Paris, the captain said, 'Unfortunately I'm not qualified to land the plane in Paris. They are asking for a level two qualification and I only have a level five. We'll have to fly back.
"The whole thing beggars belief. If I had not been on the plane, I would not have believed it."
The Civil Aviation Authority described the incident as "quite unusual but probably not unheard of.
"I guess he thought when he initially took off that conditions would be suitable for him to land," a spokesman said.
"There are different classifications of aircraft and when an aircraft is updated, pilots who have flown an older version have to completely retrain.
"Different climatic conditions like fog require a certain level of skill and he probably didn't have the level of training required for this particular aircraft."

He did everything right. He couldn't land under those conditions so told the truth. I probably would have reworded it to We are below our landing minimums so must divert to our alternate.

Yeah, "We" are below "our" landing minimums, instead of "I can't land the plane, I haven't been trained."

I bet it seemed like a good idea at the time.

From what I could gather, the fog was not forecast, the aircraft was a new type to the airline and the LVO qualification required sim training that was completed and 50 sectors online that had not been completed. Certainly bad luck but also a poor choice of words by the captain and appallingly poor communication by the company to the press afterwords.

This isn't so surprising. I don't think I would bother with trying to give a detailed explanation as to why you diverted. I've seen guys try to explain 3585 rules. Just tell them you can't get in, they're going to byotch no matter what you say.

A spokeswoman for the low-cost airline said the pilot was "an experienced aviator with more than 30 years commercial aviation experience flying a number of different passenger aircraft types."

The spokeswoman then added, "However, the pilot apparently has spent none of the past 30 years practicing effective communication. He has been banned from making any more PA announcements in the future and the First Officer on the flight, quite correctly, smacked him across the face when he heard that abortion of an announcement."

This reminds me of the captain who announced to the PAX that he was "too upset" to fly and walked off the flight. Apparently, someone hurt his feelings about his wearing the hat. Oh lordy.

Latest resources

Back