• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm Here Doing It...at Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the training contract was a tool used to coerce pilots into staying at a disreputable avaiation company and:
1. the training contract duration is one year, and
2. there is no requirement to sign another contract prior to attending recurrent training,
then year two attrition would be reflected in the company's pilot seniority list.

Paradoxus, Me thinketh you doth thinketh way too mucheth

Not in the environment we live in now. When the majors started hiring in 2000/2001, NJA saw a huge attrition rate from those whose training contracts were up. That contract was two years, prorated. Many of those returned after the furloughs that followed, but that's another story. I moved up almost 200 numbers in just a few short years. Attrition now is at an all time low though, for obvious reasons.

Policy is a hard thing to change.

When the FAA changed the first class medical rule to allow ATP privileges for a year if the pilot is under 40 I remember a bunch of NetJet guys saying, "it's still 6 months in our manual so that's the way it is at NetJets". I'm curious, was I right then that it'll change or am I right now that policy is tough to change? How often do your 30 somethings get a medical?

Not in the environment we live in now. When the majors started hiring in 2000/2001, NJA saw a huge attrition rate from those whose training contracts were up. That contract was two years, prorated. Many of those returned after the furloughs that followed, but that's another story. I moved up almost 200 numbers in just a few short years. Attrition now is at an all time low though, for obvious reasons.

My pointy exactly. The current job market in this industry may be seen as directly correlative to the oft-touted benign\natural necessity (and effectiveness) prescribed to the training-bond phenomena. Were the better positions I alluded to previously (jobs that never required training bonds) available, attrition rates at training bond shops would be signifigant indeed.

Requiring the signing of training bonds for the training necessary to perform pilot duties is an indefensible practice. This is a fact we simply cannot get around.

What happened to a man giving his word and sticking to it? Since my beginnings in our industry, I've had a hard time understanding the whole training contract issue.

Hire me, train me. In exchange, you get my professional services for "x" amount of time. No piece of paper necessary.

If you give your word as a man that you'll do something... you do it. Period.

What happened to a man giving his word and sticking to it? Since my beginnings in our industry, I've had a hard time understanding the whole training contract issue.

Hire me, train me. In exchange, you get my professional services for "x" amount of time. No piece of paper necessary.

My sentiments exactly. Unfortunately, the "it's all about me" entitlement mindset that's evolved in the last decade almost considers you a chump if you keep to your commitments.

I'd be happy to. It's the right thing to do. The point is some shady employers sell you the oceanfront view and then... well, then they have to force you to stay.

Here is the training contract. If you leave before two years, then the company will be out a significant amount of training cost...so you have to pay it back. If the man is to his word, he stays for the two years and if he then decides to leave then there is no harm and no foul. If he decides that he must break his word (due to unforeseen circumstances or whatnot) and leave early, then he pays for a portion of his training cost. This sounds logical to me...why not to you?

Latest resources

Back