I'm a New Hire!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like I said: Lear Jets roll real nice.

Thats Bobby Younkin, he flies the Lear (not the one in the show) for Part 121 charter service too I believe.

Okay, my SHORT post.

I left Dayton (wright bros) this morning and went to PWK north of Chi-town, then back to White Plains (HPN). I was on with Chicago, Cleveland, Boston, and NY Centers, between 240 and 410. You might have heard me. When I start flying the 55, maybe I can get a look at Shannon myself.

Biscayne 529 right down the east coast 1900L to 2130L. Weren't those winds nasty tonight out of the west. We were at 410 and above them.

Absolutely. I had a tail wind from Chicago of 134 kts, making 600 kts of groundspeed at one point.

When we landed at HPN, there was a LLWS alert, and while our landing wasn't the prettiest, you should have seen the Gulfstream IV an V pilots slamming them on the runway. Don Garlits would have been proud of those smoking tires.

Last edited:
Bored with flying? v. Not flying at all

Good post, Timebuilder, the long one six above mine here. I couldn't have said it better.

I guess the old statement is true about there being no hope for the satisfied man. But, folks, think about this. We, as pilots, get paid (not enough, maybe) for something many people just dream about doing and would pay to do (not to start another P-F-T debate!).

Personally, I might have only instructed and never made it to the next step for whatever reason, but I was/am still a professional pilot and remain grateful for my opportunities, and non-opportunities. There are plenty of grads who never get hired at all. Their dreams ended the day they get their temporary Commercials, for whatever reason.

Just some food for thought.

You're right.

I'm sure someone has some stats that compare the number of private pilot checkrides (of those who intend on flying for a career) to the number of people who eventually fly a turboprop or jet. I'll bet it's a chilling comparison.

Here's another side-by-side illustration: when I was in Philly rock radio, I would get calls from a poor white neighborhood (Kensington or Fishtown, for those who know Philly) and the guy would scream into the phone "YO, MAN CAN YOU PLAY SOME OZZZZZZY?"

When I'm in the Lear (oops! sorry Cap Z...) I hear "XXX51, maximum forward speed, descend to FL 370, and give me a good rate, if you can"

Now which one of those two jobs would you like more?

By the way, since Oz in in the news recently, if you think he is strange on TV, be glad you never met him in person. His wife makes a genuine effort to keep him together, and she makes dealing with this depressed child more bearable. I can't bring myself to watch his TV show. :)

When I landed at GTB on 21 the winds were 280/30 gusting to 40, very interesting. I used the ol' DC-3 trick and pulled back the down-wind engine and a lot of rudder. The acutal landing was nice, but I don't think the Kosovo boys cared they were home.

Hey TurboS7, not all the ATA boys miss the stop in Shannon. Those of us on the TriStar see that place a lot. Along with Gander too. Had many a good beer there myself. Isn't Pristina a lovely place?

Were one of the few pilot's that get to see Gander and Shannon on a regular basis. Miami Air is just between a mini ATA and a high performance Lear operation. That L-1011 is sure a great machine, real airplane, once it gets off the gate.

Did you see where they found an empty RPG anti-aircraft canister just one mile off the runway at "Al's garage" Saudia Arabia. Just in case you might be going in there in the next couple of weeks. At night with all the lights off that would really light up the sky.

Latest resources

Back