ILS Video

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hung Start said:
They can call that a Cat III, but it must have been for ceiling only. Forward visibility looked pretty good, imo.
Go to ACK for a while, the "standard" Cat I seems to have a visibility a LOT less than that!
But then again, a lot seems optimistic at ACK. :)

Hung

There's no ceiling there. You can see the blue sky above. Looks like they were landing in fog. Besides, approaches are all viz, no ceiling. The minimum descent altitudes are exactly that, minimum descent altitudes. Has nothing to do with ceiling.

Except that on an ILS it's called Decision Altitude. Not minimum descent altitude. But, um, thanks for the instrument lesson...

Decision Altitude

Bluto said:
Except that on an ILS it's called Decision Altitude. Not minimum descent altitude. But, um, thanks for the instrument lesson...

Except that on a Cat III autoland, it's an Alert Height (AH), not a Decision Altitude. You may not see any lights ahead (except for a glow) until the nose lowers after main gear touchdown. Our AH was 50 ft RA/ 50 ft above TDZE Baro. Interestingly, the SFL (Rabbit) was required for Cat II but not for Cat III---you would be past it before you could see it.

Bluto said:

Actually I think it's decision height, thanks for playing, come again.

sleddriver71 said:
Actually I think it's decision height, thanks for playing, come again.

DH - height above threshold
DA - height in reference to MSL

I am curious, isn't DH always going to be 200ft? What instances would it not be?

timeoff said:
DH - height above threshold
DA - height in reference to MSL

I am curious, isn't DH always going to be 200ft? What instances would it not be?

CAT
I - 200 ft
II - 100 ft
IIIa - No DH
IIIb - No DH
IIIc - No DH

Last edited:
I guess it differs with the approach. I have seen some Cat I approaches with slightly higher than 200' DAs

Latest resources

Back