ILS Critical Area Hold Line

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stifler...
Thanks for the PM (2 additional pilots emailed me with this exact question in the last couple of days, now I know why)!
We (ATC) must protect the ILS Critical area when the weather is less than 800/2. Now in the case of your specific question about using B-V at ATL after landing Rwy 8L, that critical area you are seeing depiected along B is for the glideslope for 8R, so its not an issue (so long as we're not landing the inboard) for you to continue without worry on the B-V routing.
Having said that, if a controller neglects to hold you short of a critical area to a runway that you know is in use with arrivals, and the weather is less than 800/2, it would be prudent for you guys and gals (as pilots) to ask the question before encroaching the area. The guy out there on the final just might be one of your buddies and dirsuption of the signal in IMC would require they execute a missed apporach. It other words, controllers are only human. We do make mistakes. This is supposed to be a team endeavor, so any help you can provide is apprecaited (might not always sound like it - but it is)!
Hope that answers your question!

What the fyck? ********************ing I'm a ********************ing noob, but how does this thread argue this simple point?

When:
  • 800 & 2....
  • Noted on the ATIS...
  • Instructed by ATC
  • In doubt....

anything less than that and you're just a dumbass, plain and simple

What the fyck? ********************ing I'm a ********************ing noob, but how does this thread argue this simple point?

When:
  • 800 & 2....
  • Noted on the ATIS...
  • Instructed by ATC
  • In doubt....

Lighten up Francis

Every other leg into an uncontrolled airport for me and while I have yet to have an issue with reception there is a lack of understanding of the requirement to hold short of the ILS hold line as I have popped out down low a few times to find an aircraft inside the protected area. Fortunately for us usually small GA aircraft that did not affect our approach.

When:
  • 800 & 2....
  • Noted on the ATIS...
  • Instructed by ATC
  • In doubt....

Actually you are incorrect. It is 800 OR 2, not 800 AND 2.

if it makes you feel better, AND/OR

you can see a ******************** ton with a 800 foot ceiling, and 10 miles vis.......

<3

Latest resources

Back