• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ILS Approaches

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Asquared: Describe what it means to fly an approach to an airport using the rocks, river, trees, mountains, I think you are one of the few left of this automated text messaging, video game, electronic generation.

Just to set the record straight, I fly a 737-800 when it is IFR I use all the bells, FD's, and autopilot. But at any given moment you can take all that stuff away from me and the end result will be the same, a very safe landing.That skill wasn't learned by pushing buttons all the time....

Hand-flown ILS's, yep...all the time. I fly single pilot 135 cargo in MI and our a/c have no autopilots. Sitting at TVC and shot the ILS 28 at 200 1/2 in moderate snow, turb, and ice. I prolly won't be a better pilot than I am now and having a blast doin' it. I sure as hell wish it paid better tho!

Yes, those of you with crap a/p's or no a/p's are probably at the top of your game for hand flying, for me my scan is now the stare!:eek: Which is safer, in my opinion it's the automated flight deck, CAT 3b and auto-braking rolls you out on the centerline every time, many times this type of approach isn't even IMC until 300 ft HAA, wouldn't be too safe to hand fly without a HUD!

UndauntedFlyer said:
Just to put things in perspective for large glass airplanes such as the 777: The F/D is on 100% of the time from take off to landing. The A/P is usually turned on any where from 12,000 feet to cruise level off. Most pilots have the A/P on by FL180. It remains on until about 10,000 feet or anytime thereafter with most pilots shutting it off by about 3000 feet if the field is VFR. For IFR the A/P will usually be on until the runway is in sight. Of course for an autoland it will be on until the airplane is at taxi speed. Autolands are only used when the weather is at CAT I minimums or below, or for A/P currency. No one ever flies with total raw data. Auto-throttles are used nearly 100% of the time except about 15% of pilots turn off the A/T's for approach and landing. The auto-brakes are used for 100% of all takeoffs and landings.

Some people ask if automation takes the fun out? My answer is that it does not. The automation is all gee-wiz stuff and exciting to operate.

If you like the Honda Gold Wing you'll love advanced airplanes. If you like Harleys then you'll go for A Squared's DC-6. It's all a matter of choice from one extreme to the other and anywhere in between.

So you decide, which do you like, the Gold Wing or the Harley?

If I want to meet someone right out of prison I'd go with the Harley. If I wanted a superior bike I'd go with the Wing. You're never as safe with older technology. Great comparison!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back