• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ILS Approaches

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope, but asking such a stupid question isn't helping you case.

Not using all the equipment and safety features available to you in normal operations does not make you a better pilot...it's expected that we can go without if failures or emergencies require. Logically, it's also expected (and required by most FOMs) that we use all automation avail to us during all phases of flight. If you need to practice beyond the sim, occasionally clicking it off is ok, but raw data in real weather as your normal operation is bravado and reduces the layers of safety built into the system.

If your DC-6 doesn't have an autopilot and/or FD, then you get to do it your way everytime...maybe Spakler would be better suited in a DC-6.

Last edited:
UndauntedFlyer said:
I can see you are still learning how to fly safely.

Funniest post I have seen in a long time...

Carl_Spackler said:
The worst pilots are the ones who use the AP all the time.

No sir, the worst pilots are the ones that poorly manage automation... The use of the aircraft's automation has no bearing on one's airmanship ability, rather its use is yet another means through which to channel your collective knowledge to safely/smoothly accomplish the flight.

If you have over 100 hours in a type and still have to prove to yourself that you can hand fly a simple ILS something's terribly wrong.

In my opinion the worst pilots are the ones that choose to operate counter to this philosphy, not use the automation while systematically f'ing up the whole works by trying to impress us all with their "raw data" abililty.

Carl_Spackler said:
Any airline (or any pilots) should be able to fly a raw data approach.

At least we can agree on that...

Last edited:
hey, can you program this flight director thingy to snake you down a dogleg valley to line up on a mining strip on the opposite hillside with an 8% grade and put your wheels on the first 200'? That would be useful, the ILS I can usually work out ok on my own, but I do find myself concentrating when I'm taking a load into that mine.

I probably ought to stick with what I'm doing. I'm not sure how well I'd fit in in this brave new world where someone who flies an ILS by hand is a dangerous renegade.

PositiveRate said:
Not using all the equipment and safety features available to you in normal operations does not make you a better pilot...it's expected that we can go without if failures or emergencies require. Logically, it's also expected (and required by most FOMs) that we use all automation avail to us during all phases of flight. If you need to practice beyond the sim, occasionally clicking it off is ok, but raw data in real weather as your normal operation is bravado and reduces the layers of safety built into the system.

This man is ready for upgrade to Captain. Congratulations...

Carl_Spackler said:
It good practice for checkrides and interviews too.

Yep, sure is. I once did a 3-day recurrent years ago right before an upcoming airline interivew that had a full motion sim check, and I never turned on the AP or FD. I had to show one approched coupled, but that was it.

My sim partner thought I was crazy. I flew everthing raw data, even SE. I told him what was going on, and he still seemed sort of miffed.

Turns out this guy wasn't that great with the FD and AP on. It was sort of funny. Sure makes you sharp.

A Squared said:
Hmmm I hand fly every single one. I don't have a flight director. Does that make me an idiot?
No, it doesn't...but it is kind sad that you guys don't have at least that.

On a similar note, I just found out we're getting the Garmin XYZ 200 PFD and the Garmin ABC 500 moving map gps with nav com. Rumor is, we will only need to have current paper charts for the airports we use, becuase this thing will have the Jepp approach plates and enroutes in them.

Once I have had a chance to digest the brochures they gave us, I'll have a better idea of what it is that they are putting in the planes. But for all intents and purposes, if it doesn't have TCAS and altitude pre-select modes, what's the point? We already have the KLN-89B, more than enough GPS for enroute and approach for me.

Last edited:
You guys crack me up.

Our FOM requires us to maintain prof. in ALL levels of automation.

Positive rate, please explain to me how raw data is sooooo dangerous in actual. For me, it's simple. If the approach were to becomes unstabalized, I would go missed.

You say that not using automation doesn't make you a better pilot? Take two pilots, one who always uses automation for T/O and approach, and one who hardly uses them for T/O and approach. Who do you think is going to retain their skills at actually FLYING the airplane.

H25B, so you are saying that after 100 hours and a check ride once every 6 months make you proficient for life? Thanks for the pointer.

I'm not saying that I'm the best pilot or anything, but some of you guys are talking like a bunch of pansies. I do know that I won't be the one pi$$ing my pants if the AP/FD go TU on a real ILS.

"Attention folks, this is you captain. Our auto pilot just broke, but don't worry I've done this before......6 years ago."

On the ground: "Daddy, look at the pilots (H25B and Pos Rate), they are all wet and shaking, maybe they just got out of the pool."

I bet down the road a few years, there will be more and more accidents, due to poor airmanship.

Thanks for the support A Squared, at least there are a few pilots out there that aren't afraid of flying. :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back