• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ILN Rally

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DHL using airplanes for the express side was inefficient. UPS will be flying some of the cargo on existing airplanes but will also truck and send by rail a lot also. DHL knows that UPS has the resources to do it cheaper. Using DC-9s has just become too expensive given the recent oil market.

It sucks what is happening up there in ILN. But protesting will do nothing and there is no plausible action that local politicians can take either.

While I will concede that the DC-9 is not a very efficient aircraft, pound for pound it is much more efficient than others still operating out there. So, look like both FedEx and UPS should outsource their uplift since they operating older models (based on your argument). The aircraft inefficiencies would not be a fraction of the problem had DHL not lost all the business resulting in less than what the aircraft should be carrying. And when you look at where the business was being lost, it was not the aviation side of the DHL operation. They are fools to think this will work in DHL's favor.

Last edited:
...when you look at where the business was being lost, it was not the aviation side of the DHL operation. They are fools to think this will work in DHL's favor.
If you believe that DHL is doing this to "fix" their U.S. operations, and nothing more, you're right...it doesn't make any sense.

If you belive that DHL and UPS are doing this as a first step towards integrating their operations, it probably makes a lot of sense.

This argument kills me. I here the same people on here calling for the death of DHL that said ABX should just fall in step and do what the customer wanted. Anyone wish they had let ABX people have some say in the matter now?

Actually, I think W.Dan may be on to something. If you know the history between UPS and DHL you would NEVER think they would work together. But on a much larger scale, they may have found new ground. Even analysts (screwy and as wrong as they are most of the time) never saw a UPS/DHL combination. It wasn't even imaginable but for a passing thought.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2008/01/27/2003399111

A move like that would force the hand of FedEx to go after TNT abroad.

A lousy weekend it was. Much to think about and which direction to pursue. After all of that reflection a couple of things keeps coming back to my mind over and over.

1.This just makes no freaking sense what so ever. No matter how much you UPSers keep saying it does, you're wrong because it doesn't.
2.If it makes no sense something larger is at play. Which could be a number of things. W.Dans theory being just as plausible as the next. ....OR.... The Germans are complete incompetent idiots just teetering around the line that would require they wear helmets all day as to not injure their noodles any further.

In the end, we are still screwed. I will participate in all I can to help save our jobs by sticking together. But once the ink is on the paper for the contract with UPS, I will have to jump. I hope the best for all of us involved. For those who keep throwing stones at us in our dark hour, Karma is a B!^*#.

Actually, I think W.Dan may be on to something. If you know the history between UPS and DHL you would NEVER think they would work together. But on a much larger scale, they may have found new ground. Even analysts (screwy and as wrong as they are most of the time) never saw a UPS/DHL combination. It wasn't even imaginable but for a passing thought.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2008/01/27/2003399111

A move like that would force the hand of FedEx to go after TNT abroad.

A lousy weekend it was. Much to think about and which direction to pursue. After all of that reflection a couple of things keeps coming back to my mind over and over.

1.This just makes no freaking sense what so ever. No matter how much you UPSers keep saying it does, you're wrong because it doesn't.
2.If it makes no sense something larger is at play. Which could be a number of things. W.Dans theory being just as plausible as the next. ....OR.... The Germans are complete incompetent idiots just teetering around the line that would require they wear helmets all day as to not injure their noodles any further.

In the end, we are still screwed. I will participate in all I can to help save our jobs by sticking together. But once the ink is on the paper for the contract with UPS, I will have to jump. I hope the best for all of us involved. For those who keep throwing stones at us in our dark hour, Karma is a B!^*#.

Well said Shooter-- When its inked its done
Later
WickedRide

Union fighting possible loss of 6,000 jobs

(WILMINGTON, OH) - The American Postal Workers Union is organizing opposition to an air freight carrier's plan that could eliminate 6,000 jobs in Wilmington.

The union held a forum Sunday to discuss the announcement that DHL wants to hire United Parcel Service to take over U.S. air transport of DHL packages.

That would eliminate much of the business for the ABX Air and ASTAR Air Cargo airlines at the Wilmington Air Park. Opponents say that would devastate the region. They're starting a petition drive and letter-writing campaign to elected officials.

Lt. Gov. Lee Fisher has said the state will do everything it can to try to protect the jobs. He met privately with labor leaders Sunday to discuss options. A DHL spokesman declined comment.

http://www.wxix.com/Global/story.asp?S=8411221

(WILMINGTON, OH) - The American Postal Workers Union is organizing opposition to an air freight carrier's plan that could eliminate 6,000 jobs in Wilmington.

The union held a forum Sunday to discuss the announcement that DHL wants to hire United Parcel Service to take over U.S. air transport of DHL packages.

That would eliminate much of the business for the ABX Air and ASTAR Air Cargo airlines at the Wilmington Air Park. Opponents say that would devastate the region. They're starting a petition drive and letter-writing campaign to elected officials.
And they're FedEx'ing them to Columbus. At least, that's what I heard...

While I will concede that the DC-9 is not a very efficient aircraft, pound for pound it is much more efficient than others still operating out there. So, look like both FedEx and UPS should outsource their uplift since they operating older models (based on your argument). The aircraft inefficiencies would not be a fraction of the problem had DHL not lost all the business resulting in less than what the aircraft should be carrying. And when you look at where the business was being lost, it was not the aviation side of the DHL operation. They are fools to think this will work in DHL's favor.

UPS retired all the 727s last year and all of the 747 classics are almost gone, (will be gone by end of the year.) The DC-8s are being parked as well due to fuel costs. This is all about efficiencies of airplanes and has nothing to do with people.

DHL using airplanes for the express side was inefficient. UPS will be flying some of the cargo on existing airplanes but will also truck and send by rail a lot also. DHL knows that UPS has the resources to do it cheaper. Using DC-9s has just become too expensive given the recent oil market.

It sucks what is happening up there in ILN. But protesting will do nothing and there is no plausible action that local politicians can take either.
L'il J - as a fellow brown guy I usually enjoy reading your posts and most of the time I agree with what you have to say.

In this case, in my humble opinion, we - ups'ers - should either butt out of this discussion or better yet support our fellow DHL pilots. Everyone knows that it's all about business and they might win or they might lose their battle - no one knows at this point.

What we do know is that the DHL pilots (and other employees) are paying for the bad decisions their management made.

You pointing out that “DHL knows that UPS has the resources to do it cheaper” only "rubs it in" to those who feel very vulnerable at this time.

Again, it's an open forum and you can say anything you want - my point is that your posts are usually very well informed and civil - I think we should feel compassion for the Astar and ABX employees right now and avoid pouring in salt into open wounds...

Just my 1/2 penny

Last edited:
Don't know if this is the best of the many thread running, but here goes.

First off, I must confess to have had that naughty feeling in the stomach called "schadenfreude" in German. Don't know what the word is in English, but belive the term is rather universal. Those of you who's been following the numerous disputes between DHL and ABX on this board will know that I have quite a lot of resentment towards ABX Management - and I'd like to make it clear it's management, not the guys and gals at the coalface.

But that feeling lasted only for the tiniest of moments, being replaced by the knowledge that, yet again, untold numbers of collegues are facing the dreaded pink slip.

I won't suggest being qualifed as the boss of a Mickey D outlet, let alone a global conglomerate like DHL. And like everybody else here, I only get to read the decisions made by our owners; neither of us are privy to the exact reasons decisions are made the way they are. Yes, I've got a few mates who're fairly high up the ladder, but having come that far they're obviously not idiots and are, as such, not divulging everything they know over a beer at the local pub. Whilst I've never been fed lies, nor have I been told everything.

What I'm getting at is as follows: Based on what I can only hope is the best information available, pressured by the increasing losses and directed by the owners of DPWN, the board had to make a very very difficult decision. I cannot begin to fathom the time and resources, let alone the hardship, it must have taken to come to the decision we now have to live with. Having rubbed shoulders with quite a few MD's, Directors and VP's in my time, it's my impression that noone get's a kick out of "retreating", admitting they've been wrong and, most of all, having to lay off people.

I've hung up my hat a couple of years ago, went over to the dark side and became a manager. I've only had to fire one guy, and whilst I don't suffer from any delusions it was tougher on me than him, it was without a shadow of a doubt the lousiest job I've ever done. Made me feel like I was a looser.

So whilst I fully understand you're frustrations and urge to go out and let your feelings be know, it is my firm belif that nothing you do or say will have any impact but a negative one. I've been there myself; being told to stand proud whilst the company is "re-organising" knowing full well that the outcome of said re-organising would mean my job being discontinued. And going on strike does make you feel as if you're kicking back, but a bloke much smarter than me once said "going on strike for a job is like fcuking for virginity" - and that is not too far from the truth.

Now please don't get me wrong, I'm not paid lackay of the management trying to keep you guys showing up for work until such time the company sees fit to revoke your airport badge. What I'm suggesting is that you think about your future; nobody wants to hire troublemakers and we all know what a small world aviation is.

There are options open, outside the US, for those of you willing to expariate. It's not an option open to all, but there are jobs out there to be had. Don't sit around waiting and hoping - get your CV's in soon as possible. I've got a few contacts here and there, and if anybody's intersted feel free to contact me.

Latest resources

Back