ILN Rally

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

2lowflaps

I've heard that there is going to be a rally/protest against DHL Sunday at Wilmington College tomorrow(Sunday) does anyone know anything about this? I just heard about it. Astar and ABX should have pilots dressed in full battle gear there. Call me if your interested or have any info.
Mike
412-607-6898

Meeting to address concerns about DHL
A public meeting is planned for 3 p.m. Sunday to address DHL’s decision to change air cargo carriers, a move that would take away more than 6,000 jobs at the air park in Wilmington. The theme of the event is saving the jobs and building a community fight-back, said Tony Olson, lead local organizer for the American Postal Workers Union, AFL-CIO. The meeting site announced originally had to be changed near press time due to size limitations. People interested in attending can call toll-free 866-412-8061 to learn where the local event will be held.[/font]

Meeting to address concerns about DHL
A public meeting is planned for 3 p.m. Sunday to address DHL’s decision to change air cargo carriers, a move that would take away more than 6,000 jobs at the air park in Wilmington. The theme of the event is saving the jobs and building a community fight-back, said Tony Olson, lead local organizer for the American Postal Workers Union, AFL-CIO. The meeting site announced originally had to be changed near press time due to size limitations. People interested in attending can call toll-free 866-412-8061 to learn where the local event will be held.[/font]

Just got off the phone with the American Postal Workers Union. The meeting is going to be held at 840 Timberglen Drive, near the Wilmington Presbyterian Church. Call 866-412-8061 if you need directions.

Not to sound rude but with the company lossing so much money why should they stay? Better question is why would you want them to stay? It was only a matter of time before DHL was going to shut down ILN operations. They cant keep losing money like this and it is cheaper to have someone else carry the frieght, just like the Post Office. If ILN was to keep DHL it would be only 6 months before they would have to shut down all US operations. 6,000 jobs now or all the DHL emloyees in just a short period of time. Im sure the guys driving the trucks would like to keep there jobs.

Not to sound rude but ...........

I've noticed the glee in your writings on this subject as of late. Funny, never seen you contribute anything to the ABX/Astar/DHL discussions but now you're all over them like a giddy little girl.

And how does any of this affect you?

Not to sound rude but with the company lossing so much money why should they stay? Better question is why would you want them to stay? It was only a matter of time before DHL was going to shut down ILN operations. They cant keep losing money like this and it is cheaper to have someone else carry the frieght, just like the Post Office. If ILN was to keep DHL it would be only 6 months before they would have to shut down all US operations. 6,000 jobs now or all the DHL emloyees in just a short period of time. Im sure the guys driving the trucks would like to keep there jobs.

Not to sound rude, but you don't know what the #^&* you are talking about. The aviation side was not the side that was losing their business. The screwed up side that was, are keeping their jobs as you pointed out. Not to say it was all their fault, but unless dhl changes the way THAT side works, they will still lose their market.

Not to sound rude, but you don't know what the #^&* you are talking about. The aviation side was not the side that was losing their business. The screwed up side that was, are keeping their jobs as you pointed out. Not to say it was all their fault, but unless dhl changes the way THAT side works, they will still lose their market.

DHL using airplanes for the express side was inefficient. UPS will be flying some of the cargo on existing airplanes but will also truck and send by rail a lot also. DHL knows that UPS has the resources to do it cheaper. Using DC-9s has just become too expensive given the recent oil market.

It sucks what is happening up there in ILN. But protesting will do nothing and there is no plausible action that local politicians can take either.

The points presented by the UPS folks are valid...just not in this situation. If this was a startup operation that failed, then y'all would be right on. DHL walked into an operation that had been working well, completely FUBARed it, then decided to shut it down. This is not the fault of anyone working at ILN, and some people on this board do not realize it.

How would you feel if someone walked into Louisville, bought the operation, %#(&ed it up, decided it wasn't possible to make it work (regardless of the fact that it had been working for years), and outsourced everything to Memphis?

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if DHL had actually created the jobs that they are eliminating, not just inherited them.

Good points there TWA. DHL incompetence coupled with Hete's intransigence are the primary ingredients of this particular quagmire.

As for me and my family: hoping for the best, bracing for the worst. I fly with quality people, they and theirs deserve better than this. Hete in rejecting the $8.0 buyout offer has a lot to answer for and I hope the shareholders hold him fully accountable. A real captain goes down with the ship.

Latest resources

Back