ifr training question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

desert pilot

The long x-country for instrument rating-250 miles under ifr?Does that mean that you have to be the whole way on an ifr flight plan or some of it with clearances when needed for the aproaches?what would a typical x-country like that be?

All on IFR flight plan, plus 3 DIFFERENT types of instrument approaches. Should be quite a bit of hood/actual time, too.

The other guy says that it has to be under instrument flight rules-meaning ifr altitudes,not ifr flight plan,is that possible?

FAR 61.65 d 2 iii

...includes at least one cross-country flight in an airplane that is performed under IFR, and consistis of...

Performed under IFR means just that....not VFR flight following with pop-up approaches. Sorry, no safety pilot flight here, must be flown on an IFR flight plan with a CFI.

If in doubt, please contact your local FSDO &/or DPE.

All correct but...must be with a CFI-I as it is 'instrument flight training' toward the instrument rating.

Wrong, Grasshopper!

61.65 d i states "At least 15 hours of instrument flight training from an authorized instructor in the aircraft catagory for which the instrument rating is sought."

Soooo, a run-of-the-mill CFI can do the flight since he/she's instrument rated, and can sign for instruction given. The student and endorsing CFII must ensure that the required 15 II hours have been met. As you know, my apprentice, we all at our establishment have at least our II's, so the logbook audit is a given. But, in an FBO, you've gotta make sure you or the combo of you and another II have met the 15 hour requirement.

I hear you but...

Consult your local DPE for his interpretation of this one. I tend to agree with you and taught it this way to begin with but was soon corrected rather rudely.

Not that I always (or even usually) agree with his interpretations but he stands fast on this issue. Maybe you would like to discuss it with him? He doesn't seem to like to discuss things with me if there is a difference of opinion.

;)

I've already had my run-in with him over the Seminole gear pump thermal relief valve. I'll ask the FSDO folks Saturday at the LAL FAA Safety Center.

I did my instrument x-country with a CFI, not II and the DPE never batted an eye. Sounds like your DPE is a dick.

Latest resources

Back