• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ifr Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes of course. There's no such thing as a clearence for IFR flight in Class G, and Yes, it is legal to fly IFR in Class G airspace. You must operate in accordance with the Instrument Flight Rules (91.167-91.193) though.

Am I missing something? If you're not on an IFR flightplan in class G airspace, doesn't that make you VFR? If you're VFR in class G airspace, doesn't that mean "clear of clouds"? I know my FAR/AIM is dusty but they couldn't have changed that rule, did they? Maybe a scenario for the question will straighten me out.

FAR 91.173 ATC clearance and flight plan required.

No person may operate an aircraft in controlled airspace under IFR unless that person has--
(a) Filed an IFR flight plan, and
(b) Received and appropriate ATC clearance.

Notice it says "in controlled airspace". By definition, controlled airspace means airspace of defined dimensions within which air traffic control service is provided to IFR flights and to VFR flights in accordance with the airspace classification. (NOTE--Controlled airspace is a generic term that covers Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D and Class E airspace.)

When you depart IFR from an airport in Class G airspace, your clearance will read something to the effect of "enter controlled airspace on a heading of XXX, climb to and maintain XXX........" The IFR flight plan and clearance commence at that point which you enter controlled airspace. As A Squared pointed out, there is no such thing as an IFR clearance in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace. Hence the term "uncontrolled".

However, if you are going to operate IFR in uncontrolled airspace, you must still follow the applicable FARs governing Instrument Flight Rules.

>>>>>If you're not on an IFR flightplan in class G airspace, doesn't that make you VFR?

Nope. There are Visual Flight Rules, and Instrument Flight Rules, you may choose one or the other. Only in Class A airspace are you not allowed to choose.

91.151 through 91.159 are the Visual Flight Rules. If you choose to fly by these rules, you are VFR.
91.167 through 91.193 are the Instrumant Flight Rules. If you choose to fly by those rules, you are IFR.

The Instrumant Flight Rules recognize IFR flight in Class G airspace. 91.179 (b) specifies cruising altitudes for IFR flight in uncontrolled airspace (class G)

There is no requirement for an IFR flightplan or an IFR clearence in Class G airspace, only in controlled airspace.

Scenario:

Koyuk, Alaska and Buckland, Alaska are both in Class G airspace. The airspace between them is class G below 14,500 ft MSL. They both have published approaches and departure procedures. It is entirely legal to depart Koyuk, fly the departure procedure, proceed to Buckland, and execute an instrument approach. All in the clouds. You don't need a flight plan, and you don't need a clearance. As FLX757 pointed out, you do have to comply with the requirements of the Instrumant Flight Rules regarding equipment, currency, cruising altitudes, and such, but as long as you comply with these, it's legal.

regards

addendum:

Having said all this, if you're bopping along, scudrunning in the more typical 1200 foot layer of Class G airspace and you fly through a cloud, you are probably in violation of 91.179 (b), cruising altitude for IFR flight, even though you meet all of he other requirements for IFR flight

Last edited:
Give me a break

I hope you all with 3000+ hours are kidding. Give me a break and do a little IFR refresher. That is the basic question for an instrument rating.

"When do you need an clearance to fly in IMC and when don't you need one to fly IMC?"

In most of the mid-west you can fly around in IMC legally without ever talking to anyone, but I guess if you have been flying for a carrier you never get to venture into UNCONTROLLED airspace.

Here is another question. When you are on an IFR flight plan does ATC have any responsibility to seperate you from VFR traffic?

Nope. ATC will only separate you from other IFR traffic. Obviously you will be in VFR conditions (because VFR traffic should not be in IFR conditions) and so you are responsible, even under an IFR flight plan, to look out and maintain visual separation from VFR traffic. It says so in the regs ... too lazy to look it up. =)

Now if the VFR traffic is playing in the clouds, yer both SOL.

quote- "In most of the mid-west you can fly around in IMC legally without ever talking to anyone, but I guess if you have been flying for a carrier you never get to venture into UNCONTROLLED airspace. "

I don't know what part of the midwest you're talking about..maybe Midwest Alaska. I live in the midwest and in my entire state there is no place where uncontrolled airspace is above 1200' agl, well below the MEAs.

Bigflyr,

You are about as completely wrong on this issue as it is possible to be.

It is not an "interpretation", it is not an inadvertant "loophole" in the regulations.

IFR in Class G airspace is completely legal, as long as the Instrument FLight Rules are complied with. To say otherwise is just ignorance.

If it is a "loophole", please tell me why 91.179(b) explicitly specifies IFR cruising altitudes for uncontrolled airspace?

If it is an "INTERPRETATION OF THE REGS for the benefit of not complying", then why do the Operations Specifications for my Part 121 carrier have specific authorization and procedures to follow while operating IFR in Class G airspace?

You need to think about these questions and what they mean, then back off a little on your statements. You have been very badly misinformed somewhere along the way.

regards

Latest resources

Back