Ifr Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alright Spike,

Just to make you happy I'm going to say I'm wrong and you're right. But let me beat the dead horse just a bit more. First of all, I don't give a rats @$$ how many people may agree or disagree with me. I need facts. You appear to have many so therefore I agree. You're right about not having flown in those areas. I have flown in several parts of the world where position reporting is required though, for lack of radar coverage. This makes sense to me.

What does not make sense to me is the one comment about doing an entire flight in "IMC" ( trust me, I know what that means) conditions from takeoff to landing without a clearance, without talking to anyone, without any kind of traffic separation other than maintaining IFR cruising altitudes, once level, has to make you wonder... Can I do this? Is it safe? If its not, how can it be legal? Again, I am aware that certain carriers have Ops specs for certain operations because they are not specified otherwise. Please don't talk to me like I haven't a clue. I've got more hours as a CFI alone than your posted total and would like to stand corrected but understanding why. If Its not clear to me, then I assure you it may not be clear to others. Also, lets see if you can clear it up without insulting me by stating the obvious. And let me add that I never had an issue about flight under IFR in class G airspace. Why the FAA designates certain areas as class G other than for lack of radar coverage is perhaps a TERPS question, which is not the issue here. I do, however have an issue about flying in IMC (can't see squat) without the benefit of any kind of traffic separation... no communications with ATC, no radar coverage, no clearance. OK? Be gentle now!

BigFlyr,

A Squared has spelled it out very clearly, and in great detail. How much clearer does it need to be? Re-read A Squared's most recent post...and the others, if need be. The questions you have and the issues you raise are answered. Several times.

He (and I) have provided FAR references, such as 91.173, and 91.179.

Also, common sense dictates that if airpace is classified as "uncontrolled", then that's exactly what it is. I have also flown in many parts of the world where position reporting is required due to the non-radar environment, but we are still in contact with ATC (obviously), and are in controlled airspace. While I might agreee that you, as the PIC, might decide for whatever the reason, that it might not be prudent to operate under IFR in IMC in Class G airspace, the FARs give you the authority to do so......legally.

Oh, BTW......desert pilot started this thread with his question, and hasn't been heard from since. What say YOU, desert pilot??

Last edited:
Very interesting discussion. I have not really considered it before. My flying is mostly eastern US with occasional forays out west and Caribbean. One question considering all of this. When you depart an uncontrolled airport that has Class E stopping at 700' or 1200' and you get your IFR clearance on the ground. Your clearance reads "cleared to XYZ airport as filed. Enter controlled airspace heading 270*. Contact.... Squawk ....". Let us say the weather is 500' BKN and 1 mile. You depart runway 09 and start turning to 270*. I have always assumed ATC will hold up other inbound/outbound IFR traffic until you are coordinated/communicated with ATC airborne, correct. I do realize that ATC cannot guarrentee traffic seperation in class G. Any one attempting to operate IFR below 700 or 1200 agl would not be able meet the regulatory requirements of IFR, correct? So the only worry we should have is the VFR guy who is flying with 1 mile and clear of clouds, right? Or from this discussion should we worry about an unknown (no clearance/no communication) IFR operator in class G while we are transitioning from Class G to class E on an IFR clearance? If this is true, I may rethink departing a class G airport unless the ceiling is at or close to the class E base. I agree there are very few places in the continental US where one would be in cruise flight in class G and class G is not predicated on areas of radar coverage. What is the standard operating procedure to operate IFR in Alaska in class G? Is it possible for more than one flight to be operating IFR/IMC in the same airspace with no coordination/flight plan?

Typically from what I know of 135 Ops Specs and I assume 121 is that the provision on operating IFR in class G (domestic/continental US) is soley for purposes of transition to an approach and departure from an airport terminal area. It is not authorization to cruise IFR in class G from airport ABC to XYZ. There maybe special operations areas for an operator that needs this (ie Alaska, Canada or other remote areas) and then I'm sure some operational conditions go along with it.

I've got a peachy keen solution to all this ...

Just call your local FSDO and ask'em.

That way we don't spend a year trying to explain how flight may be conducted in IMC in Class G w/o a clearance and w/o talking to anyone.

To 757 and others-the question came up during my IPC with a new CFI/CFII,while training in the west most of us get our instrument rating without seeing the inside of a cloud,I suggested if possible to do it SAFELY-PUNCH A CLOUD,HE SAID THAT IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL! For practical reasons the x-country happens many times under blue skies,thanx all-great answers!

Desert Pilot - maybe it's the lack of any real punctuation in your post, but I don't follow. You say your CFII told you that it'd be illegal to fly in IMC while training? I'm confused.

I LOVE THIS BOARD

SORRY BIG FLYR

I really didn't mean to come across as insulting.

One comment was made about IFR altitudes, remember that only counts for CONTROLLED airspace. You can fly at ANY altitude you want in uncontrolled airspace and punch as many clouds as you want if you are IFR rated period.

Oh yea, just to make things interesting Controlled airspace only goes up to FL 600 so you could fly legally fly up there too. Getting there is another question alltogether

Response to VIK

Ha, ha, ha

Ever tried to call 5 or 6 FSDO's with the same question. You will never get the same answer every time. Especially with any GOOD question.

The only legally binding answer from an FAA person has to come from the legal department in Atlanta. you have to write them and wait 4-6 weeks.

Call a FSDO and ask, that is a good one. Sorry to sound condescending, but I thought that is what you do. Then I asked CFI recert questions and called FSDOs from around the question and MAN they all gave me different answers and the best thing was that most backed them up with different parts of the DE handbook.

Remember we are dealing with the FAA.

Latest resources

Back