• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ifr Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

There's no reason why you can't do what you say, but you should think about what you're going to do before you do it (and you obviously are!)

the things you need to think about are 1) hitting the ground, 2) hitting someone else and 3) violationg the regs.

1) hitting the ground. If there's no approach established for the airport, there's no departure procedure, nor has the terrain been evaluated. You're entirely on your own for terrain clearance, and you'd better be sure you know what's around you and how you can safely get to the enroute structure. If you're satisfied you have a handle on this, on to number 2, hitting someone else. That's a sticky one, you're trusting on luck to some extent. there could be someone legally stooging around in 1 mile and clear of clouds. there's a very slim chance there could be someone legally overflying your airplort IFR in class G airspace (very slim), there shouldn't be anyone on approach, as there's no approach procedure, and you need a IAP even in Class G. If you're willing to accept those risks, it's on to # 3. You need a clearence to fly IFR in controlled airspace. 1200 feet isn't going to give you much time to get a clearence after takeoff, and it's very likely that ATC doesn't have radio coverage at thos altitudes, so you want to get the clearence before departing. You should be able to get a clearence by phone from FSS or ATC. It will probably read something like "cleared to enter controlled airspace....." and will probably have a void time.

when you think about it, items 2 and 3 are not all that different than departing one of the many airports *with* an IAP and obstacle clearence procedure where the controlled airspace does not come all the way to the ground.

hope this helps

regards

you've got my backing

I'll back you up on that one. You can legally depart a class golf airport under IFR in IMC. Now again that being said I wouldn't recommend doing it! You may have a hard time finding the take off minimums for these fields. There is alot of class Golf airspace out west. There are also alot of mountains out west as well. I wouldn't recommend doing this.

An instrument rating IS required. There was however mention of an instrument rating in the original post.

Finally yes you can go punch clouds in class golf airspace with out talking to anybody. Not the greatest idea though. This is what gets me about some of the CFR's, they allow people to do this kind of extremely dangerous stuff, and yet there are some regs that are so rediculous they need to be removed. I personally think this regulation should be removed.

Fly very safe!
J.

Thanks A Squared,

Not too worried about #1; we're pretty light, since the also don't sell Jet A at this podunk, so we'll be up, up and away before we leave the airport boundary.

Not too worried about #2; there's nothing out here and we've got TCAS, and if I still manage to hit somebody, I've got the winning lottery ticket in my pocket!

I'm always worried about #3, plan that worst case scenario! What if Mr. FAA is driving by as we board? "Excuse, me where do you think you're going? This is Pokunk VFR and it's IMC?"

501261 said:
I'm always worried about #3, plan that worst case scenario! What if Mr. FAA is driving by as we board? "Excuse, me where do you think you're going? This is Pokunk VFR and it's IMC?"

I was hoping not to return to this thread but I've got too much time on my hands lately.

As far as the legality of this senario is concerned we all pretty much agree that it is NOT illegal to fly IMC in class G, or depart a class G airport in IMC without a clearance or talking to anyone, as long as the pilot and airplane are IFR qualified, and therefore it's legal.

Ask yourself the following: Is it safe? You the PIC are responsible for the safety of the flight...

If that doesn't sway you... ask yourself "Would you do it with a Fed on board?" Well, would ya' Punk? ;)

Last edited:

Sorry I guess I should read all the post. I didn't read anything about you being stuck in the middle of no where and having to depart tommorow.

Its not illegal, so I wouldn't worry about the feds. Right now I would be more worried with how to pick up your clearance when the time comes to enter controlled airspace.

If you are sure that there is NOTHING out there then more power to you. I personally don't like zero zero take offs, however they can be done under part 91. I would wait untill the fogs burns at so you can see down the at least some distance.

Its probably not a good idea to make a habit of doing this because of a stand point of saftey.

Fly safe,
J.

501261 wrote:

What if Mr. FAA is driving by as we board? "Excuse, me where do you think you're going? This is Pokunk VFR and it's IMC?"

Bigflyr wrote:

Ask yourself the following: Is it safe? You the PIC are responsible for the safety of the flight... If that doesn't sway you... ask yourself "Would you do it with a Fed on board?" Well, would ya' Punk?

Definately things to consider. You could politely ask the fed where in Part 91 it prohibits departing IFR, from an airport which doesn't have an IAP. The answer is "nowhere" but the fed might not be swift enough to realize that, and it could take some sorting out.

This situation is only slightly different than departing an airport *with* an IAP where the controlled airspace ends above the ground. The only real differnce is that # 1 is taken care of for you, if you follow the obstacle departure procedure. If the controlled airspace ends 700 ft AGL, then that only means that there's no one legally flying IFR enroute over you airport in the class G airspace, you still are exposed to the legal VFR scudrunners and the complete bandits. I suspect that many pilots don't realize how many airports with IAPs are located in Class G airspace. Whip out a sectional for any part of the country. At every airport that you see a magenta shaded circle but not a thin blue dashed circle, the controlled airspace stops at 700 ft AGL. There's a whole lot of them out there, and I bet a lot of pilots are flying IFR through Class G airspace without realizing it.

regards

>>>>>>One more comment: Many (60%?) of the airports around here don't even have departure procedures; and yes they have IAPs.

If they have IAPs, then they have been evaluated for obstacle clearence on departure. If there is no departure procedure published, that means the airport is suitable for a diverse departure....runway heading to 400 feet, then turn to join the enroute structure. note, this does not mean turn in any direction.

regards.

If "1 mile and clear "wasnt safe they wouldnt put in the regs:D

Latest resources

Back