IFR question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good post V-1

That is exactly what I was wanting to read, the 121 reg regarding this issue. THANK YOU!! I think there is inconsistency at the FAA level which has formed some grey area that is totally black and white in the regs. A message I recieved stated that if I posted the same question about 135 that would be a different question.. for whatever reason.

I think some of these FSDO's are confusing things.. seeing that I have a nother question which I have received two totally different responses from the FSDO.

HOW DO YOU LOG FLIGHT TRAINING PERFORMED IN A LEVEL D SIM?

Some say total time yes, some say total time no.... I thought this was one of the reasons these sims were certified differently... the type of training and how it can be counted... Somemore feedback please!!!!

Last edited:
Total time?? No, never.

I fly/train/check for a 121 carrier, so my point of view is from a 121 background...Everything is explained in detail in Appendix H to Part 121, but here are highlights--

Training and Checking Permitted
Level B--
1) Recency of experience (121.441)
2) Night takeoffs and landings (Part 121, Appendix E)
3) Landings in a proficiency check without the landing on the line requirements (121.441)

Level C--
1) For all pilots, transition training between airplanes in the same group, and for a pilot in command, the certification check required by 61.153(g)
2) Upgrade to PIC training and the certification check when the pilot:
--Has previously qualified as SIC in the same equipment
--Has at least 500 hours while serving as SIC in an airplane in this same group
--and, Is currently serving as SIC in an airplane in this same group
3) Initial PIC training and the certification check when the pilot:
--Is currently serving as SIC in an airplane of the same group
--Has a minimum of 2500 hours as SIC in an airplane of the same group
--and, Has served as SIC on at least 2 airplanes of the same group
4) For all SIC pilot applicants who meet the experience requirements of 61.159, the initial and upgrade training and checking required by this part and the certification check required by 61.153

Level D--
All pilot flight training and checking required by this part and the certification check required by 61.153(g). The line check required by 121.440 and the OE required by 121.434 must still be performed in the airplane.

If anyone is interested (or cares), Appendix H goes into detail about what the simulator and visual requirements are for Level B, C, and D sims.

Confusion.....FAA........isn't that an oxymoron......kinda like "free gift"?

Mr. Byrne wrote:

Again, the pilot must know the reported ceiling and visibility before deciding whether that approach segment can legally be initiated.

I think they are leaving behind a tiger trap for the pilot who has an accident while shooting an instrument approach.

Knowing and having the minimums are two separate ideas, aren't they? The FAA assistant CC conveniently skirts the question of how the pilot can legally make this decision under the regs.

Typical....

Amen brother

lets correct my logbook

After completing traing in the Level D Sim, what columns should the times be counted in? Lord knows if they can't give you the same two answers about logging the time as total or not, they are probably wrong about the other coulmns as well... I did the training at 121, and want to know how the 121 interviewers want to see it logged.
THANKS!

It's YOUR logbook. Log it however you want to log it. However, MY OPINION is that it is not total time. That is for FLIGHT time, and if you are in the sim, it is not flight time. I personally keep a separate record for my sim time, both when I'm flying and instructing. While I'm flying the sim, I log it as "simulator" time. Not that complicated.

Only in the Simulator column. Sim time is NEVER flight time, regardles of how suffisticated(sic) the sim might be.

Do you break down the sim time as multi, turbine, etc...?

Unlike a PCATD where you are to log it as PCATD time and break it down only in the remarks section. A Sim and PCATD are not the same.. no checkrides, upgrades, etc. can be performed in a PCATD (because I am told that you do log Level D sim time in the appropriate columns.. otherwise a sim would just be the same as a $3000 Elite PCATD)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Look up FAR's Part 1, definitions, and look up flight time. No matter how suffisticated, a simulator (even a level D) will not fly.

Take care

Latest resources

Back