• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If you have trouble w/sleep or hangovers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ambien plus 1 beer = (euphoria) you shouldn't fly for at least 24 hours. Ambien has been shown to have some very strange effects on people. I just saw recently where some folks have "sleep driven" their cars in the middle of the night and cracked them all up.

I started this post intending to inform of a way to have a very mild and effective sleep aid that won't mix too dangerously with alcohol.
The idea is that you take a half dose of A.S. PM that dissolves in water which causes it to be absorbed so quickly into your body that the light mild dose has a pronounced effect. And then to be sure none is holding you back in the morning you take A.S. morn. relief and exercise. It is purely asprin and caffeine equivalent to a cup of coffee.

Oh, I long for the good old days....
going to bed drunk and waking up with the hangover you deserved. No trying to hide it, mask it, or deny it.

My wife was taking that crap until I tossed them down the can. It made her nuts. She would take them before bed and get so high she would get up and wander around the house, falling all over things. I'd put her to bed and 10 minutes later she would be back up. The next day she remembered none of this. I worried what she would do if I wasn't around to stop her. It worried both of us so she doesn't consider using it any more. On a positive note, she got a good night sleep.

mcjohn said:
I've had bad experiences with Tylenol PM. That stuff really sticks with you. I believe it has the same sleep aid chemical as the Alka Seltzer PM but the alka stuff is way better. It uses asprin instead of the tylenol stuff which is important.

Take the Tylenol PM Simply Sleep. It has the same sleep aid but without the tylenol in it. Try taking just one with a fatty food such as a granola bar, peanut butter on toast, candy bar, ect. Hits you fast.

Personally, if I just take 1 and get 7 hrs of sleep I feel fine in the morning.

Bottom line

If you're gonna experiment with sleep aids do so on your days off first.

I've tried Ambien and it works well for me. No hangover effect.

Alcohol will intensify the effect of any medication. If you want better pain relief try ibuprofen with a beer.

dojetdriver said:
Take the Tylenol PM Simply Sleep. It has the same sleep aid but without the tylenol in it. Try taking just one with a fatty food such as a granola bar, peanut butter on toast, candy bar, ect. Hits you fast.

Personally, if I just take 1 and get 7 hrs of sleep I feel fine in the morning.

Good tip but the idea behind the Alka Seltzer stuff is the powder form. The way is fizzes and consumed from a glass of water hits you quicker than any other way. The fatty foods works for me but it will dilute the effectiveness of the pill. Pill without food takes 2 times longer to absord to the body than the fizzy stuff so pill with food may take hours.

Some people go to sleep when they drink alcohol.
Some people can't go to sleep when the drink alcohol.

I tell you. If you have to mix alcohol with something to sleep do not let it be Ambien or the many other similar drugs. That is not smart thinking.

Maybe consider a powder form half dose of a simple asprin based sleep aid that your stomach will enjoy.

Latest resources

Back