If you have trouble w/sleep or hangovers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mcjohn

I have always had problems sleeping well and at one point been prescribed Ambien. I have had bad luck with almost everything I have tried. I have always been so crappy feeling in the morning. Ambien said in the ad that you won't wake up groggy and that is pure B.S. If you drink at night then take Ambien for sleep you just doubled the intensity of your hangover in the morning. Same with others that I have tried.

But alas! I have found the savior! Alka seltzer PM and alka seltzer morning relief. They usually have 2 tablets in a pack so here's what I do.
I like to drink beer a good bit and that causes me not to sleep too well. It's rare to have this effect but many folks have it according to my allergist. So I take only 1 tablet of the PM (2 in packet) before bed. Because it dissolves in water that you drink it hits you quickly and effectively. I don't recommend taking both tablets b/c that will leave you too groggy in the morning.
When I wake up I do the same with the morning relief kind and go jogging 30 mins after taking. Remember only 1 tablet. It's nothing but caffiene and asprin and you'll jump out of your skin if you do something like jog with 2 tablets in you. The asprin keeps my knees and legs feeling great during a jog in the morning and my mind stays sharp for the whole day after a night of partying. Figured pilots would appreciate my tip. Has improved my QOL!

Keep in mind that the FAA states that you can not fly within 48 hours after taking OTC stuff like Alka Seltzer PM, or Tylenol PM etc.

If you drink at night then take Ambien for sleep you just doubled the intensity of your hangover in the morning.
That's probably why the insert and sticker say "Do not take with alcohol". Just my guess. Haven't tried Alka Selzer though.

lowtimedriver said:
Keep in mind that the FAA states that you can not fly within 48 hours after taking OTC stuff like Alka Seltzer PM, or Tylenol PM etc.

I've had bad experiences with Tylenol PM. That stuff really sticks with you. I believe it has the same sleep aid chemical as the Alka Seltzer PM but the alka stuff is way better. It uses asprin instead of the tylenol stuff which is important.
Yes I know about the FAA regs on that. I'm not saying go fly after taking the PM of course. But I did say to take only half the packet (1 tablet) for the PM so it will be worn off in the morning and then go jog. You'll feel or be clean as a whistle!

Only way they're going to find that stuff is in the autopsy.... (right?)

A good friend who has sleep problems takes Ambien, he gets 25 pills every six months and rations them out. He says it works exactly as advertised. He doesn't drink, so he doesn't know about hangovers. He won't take it if he is going to be flying in the following 24 hours just out of an abundance of caution. He's never had any side effects from it.

Latest resources

Back