Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If the tables were turned UPS/ASTAR(DHL Airways INC)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why all the negative vibes Dan? Just because your life sux doesn't mean mine will. Are you ever going to tell us the true reason that you were fired from Astar? As smart on issues as you think you are, you should go to work for the DOT or something. Someone with your insight could be awarded a medal.

I don't think, I KNOW, why UPS started an airline in '88...they were FORCED to by the FAA. Ask any of your old hands what and who brought them out of the Evergreen, Interstate, Orion, Rosenbalm, et al doldrums and into the UPS fold. Thank T. Allen McArtor for your brown ID badge, not UPS' "need for control"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._Allen_McArtor

In the early '80's, Flying Tigers biggest commercial account was UPS. At that time, there was little concern by UPS over "control" other than to make sure the planes left and arrived on time. Had they not, I'm sure UPS would have sought another contractor.

So tell us Dan, when is UPS going to dissolve the airline and go back to contractors?

Why do you think UPS started an airline in 88 instead of continuing to use the contractors? It is about control not money. Think of the whipsaw they could have had with the 4 different carriers if they wanted to save money.
I thought the FAA made them switch to an own airline - said they're too big to be using contractors...

UPS could very well use a DHL contractor aircraft to fly it's volume in parts of the world where UPS currently uses airline belly space or common carriage. UPS will continue to fly what it does internationally and will continue to expand the airline internationally. I know that you can't stand to hear good news about another airline Dan, but it's the truth. UPS browntail jets flown around the world by IPA crews aren't going to go away no matter how hard you try and rationalize it.
I'm not wishing any ill will upon the pilots of UPS. You guys beat us, fair and square. As for why that happened, there's enough blame to go around the DHL camp 3 times over. Nobody is blameless on our side.

But I do have a question for you, BTB. DHL was clearly "on the ropes" in the US. Both their market share and service ratings were slipping precipitously, losses were mounting, investors were calling for a pullout. Had UPS done nothing, you guys would have stood (along with FedEx) to carve up what was left of DHL's business in the US.

Then you guys came to their rescue. You guys breathed new life into their half-a$$ed operation. Rather than deal an easy knockout blow, your management kept your biggest international competitor alive in the U.S.

Why do you think they did that, and where is your outrage that they did so?

You had better quit now and get in front of all the other UPS pilots that will be out of work.
I thought I asked a legitimate question, not sure why you dismissed it with your comment...

My point is - this is something new that UPS has never done before... I hope you're correct but I take nothing for granted. The person I listened to last time who believed ‘his’ airline was invincible and thought he knew all the answers is now furloughed - from United.

I know we are very different from United or any pax airline for that matter. However, money talks and 'control' is something UPS is keen on because in the past control generated profits. IF we were to start losing money in the future they'll look at any and all options available to them. That's why I worry that the DHL deal has opened a Pandora’s box...
Possible small short term gains (for us) but potentially huge long term losses...

Again, I hope you're right and that I'm wrong however neither you nor I have any say on how this will play out in the future...

Why all the negative vibes Dan? Just because your life sux doesn't mean mine will. Are you ever going to tell us the true reason that you were fired from Astar? As smart on issues as you think you are, you should go to work for the DOT or something. Someone with your insight could be awarded a medal.

Ouch, all of this time I only thought you were a POS. Leave it to you to speak up and remove all doubt. I don't think his or anyones past is any of your d@#^ business. Could it be you have skeletons in your own closet fueling your insecurities or were you just born of rectum? Either way, you're still a POS.

I'm not wishing any ill will upon the pilots of UPS. You guys beat us, fair and square. As for why that happened, there's enough blame to go around the DHL camp 3 times over. Nobody is blameless on our side.

But I do have a question for you, BTB. DHL was clearly "on the ropes" in the US. Both their market share and service ratings were slipping precipitously, losses were mounting, investors were calling for a pullout. Had UPS done nothing, you guys would have stood (along with FedEx) to carve up what was left of DHL's business in the US.

Then you guys came to their rescue. You guys breathed new life into their half-a$$ed operation. Rather than deal an easy knockout blow, your management kept your biggest international competitor alive in the U.S.

Why do you think they did that, and where is your outrage that they did so?

They did it because for getting $1 BILLION a year from DHL, UPS has to do practically NOTHING. It's almost like getting free money from your competitor. Everyone, including UPS management knows that DHL's air arm in the US wasn't the big problem they had, it's the crappy IC delivery drivers. Guess what, DHL will still have the crappy delivery drivers. UPS will not really "help" out the competition so much as to just take money from them for basically doing nothing.
UPS has unused capacity domestically and DHL will fill that up. DHL will also pay for the worldport expansion, the new 767 and 747-400 purchases. DHL will still continue to lose business in the US because it's delivery drivers suk.

Actually the reason ups started thier own airline because they were under pressure from faa not because they wanted control. It was actually cheaper for them with contractors then ipa.
That's exactly my point. UPS Airlines were formed simply because the FAA got fed up with having to oversee so many separate airlines all feeding one company - NOT because UPS wanted control.

I never liked "contract" flying because even though they usually bring fast gains in the short term (a la Fedex hiring when they got the postal contract) it is still a contract which can be voided at anytime. I'd rather have a slow but steady growth, and most importantly growth on our own...

Just look at Ryan (at least I think it was Ryan?) when they lost their postal contract to Fedex. They went from 2 year upgrades to furloughing their pilots... I don't see how this DHL deal is any different? It is still a contract; sort of like Air Wisconsin flying for United or Skywest feeding Delta...

IF UPS and DHL can find a way to move the packages for half the price they WILL do that... We are building this huge sorting facility in Shanghai but so is DHL, how much do you wanna bet that’s their next “cooperation” arena?

Also, for those who think UPS likes control - my buddy who flies for DHL in Germany tells me that we ain't seen nothing yet - DHL likes to control but not by forcing their pilots to wear yellow vests or by being nitpicky about 1-2 minutes push delays even though the flight actually arrived 1/2 hour early… Instead they control through constant fear of loosing your job by always negotiating with another airline "just in case."

DHL might be losing money in the US but they’re still a powerhouse in Europe and elsewhere… I for one still hope that this deal will fall through because I think it'll cost us in the long run...

That's exactly my point. UPS Airlines were formed simply because the FAA got fed up with having to oversee so many separate airlines all feeding one company - NOT because UPS wanted control.

I never liked "contract" flying because even though they usually bring fast gains in the short term (a la Fedex hiring when they got the postal contract) it is still a contract which can be voided at anytime. I'd rather have a slow but steady growth, and most importantly growth on our own...

Just look at Ryan (at least I think it was Ryan?) when they lost their postal contract to Fedex. They went from 2 year upgrades to furloughing their pilots... I don't see how this DHL deal is any different? It is still a contract; sort of like Air Wisconsin flying for United or Skywest feeding Delta...

IF UPS and DHL can find a way to move the packages for half the price they WILL do that... We are building this huge sorting facility in Shanghai but so is DHL, how much do you wanna bet that’s their next “cooperation” arena?

Also, for those who think UPS likes control - my buddy who flies for DHL in Germany tells me that we ain't seen nothing yet - DHL likes to control but not by forcing their pilots to wear yellow vests or by being nitpicky about 1-2 minutes push delays even though the flight actually arrived 1/2 hour early… Instead they control through constant fear of loosing your job by always negotiating with another airline "just in case."

DHL might be losing money in the US but they’re still a powerhouse in Europe and elsewhere… I for one still hope that this deal will fall through because I think it'll cost us in the long run...

Boy are you naive about this industry. Everything UPS, FedEx and DHL carries is contract.

Latest resources

Back