• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If Delta were to hire...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What would their junior base be under the combined list?

They don't usually have a particular base when starting a class, rather they have a bunch of positions at different bases, and if you are senior in the class you can choose. If I had to guess at which planes and bases were MOST junior, then I would say DTW DC9 (I think MSP DC9 will be moved to DTW and filled in with MD90s at MSP), and NYC MD88. But, as I stated in the past there have been openings from all over the place, including SLC 767 FO, ATL 767FO, 73N (700/800) in LAX, etc. It just depends on what is not filled during the normal bidding process (AEs--Advanced Entitlements). NYC 767ER (INTL) went junior during the last big hiring wave because not many wanted to be on reserve and commute to NYC. In the classes, you are ranked by the last 4 digits of your SOC, and the highest is most senior---9999 being more senior than 0001. It is not done by age.

I hope DL does hire sometime this year, but oil rising doesn't help the situation. Good luck!

Bye Bye--General Lee

One of your 777 guys on my jumpseat said that DL is pulling "all" of the airplanes that they parked and getting them ready to fly. Anything?

One of your 777 guys on my jumpseat said that DL is pulling "all" of the airplanes that they parked and getting them ready to fly. Anything?

I have heard that too. They are bringing some 757s out from the desert. I think DL had 16 757s and maybe 6 767-300DOM there. Some of the 757s are ex NWA planes that can't have winglets installed, but would be placed on high density domestic stuff. Right now DL can "grow" by just bringing back planes that are currently parked. But, I know they are watching oil prices, and if it goes a lot higher they might stop bringing them out.

I think the new planes DL is getting this year consist of 2 new 777LRs, and maybe 20 MD90s. The MD90s (from China and Japan maybe) will mainly replace a bunch of DC9s (30s/40s) that will be parked after the Summer. I believe DL will keep 38 DC9-50s for a few more years, and I think they will all eventually be based in DTW, whereas the MD90s will be in MSP.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I believe DL will keep 38 DC9-50s for a few more years, and I think they will all eventually be based in DTW, whereas the MD90s will be in MSP.

What...no more -9's in MEM?!?!?!?

Lee;
There are four 767-300ER's there too. Yep they are pulling them out and the 5500 block 757's that were slated to leave are coming out too! Summer will be busy.

To answer the question of where:
They will post a Bid prior to hiring. After that bid closes they will know where the holes are and will then fill them in the order the see fit. Generally they will cover what needs bodies quickest first.

I would expect a few months of recalls and flows before off the street. That said, it does not hurt to get your stuff in and update it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back