Icing no Problem for Aeroflot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And of course air florida
Look guys- if you think this is about defining "adhere", you're nuts- i know that situation and agree that many pilots in the US deice unnecessarily. But this?- it took 150kts+ of airspeed to knock off the snow and ice and it still wasn't clean-
That was criminal and you should send this to all your family members- crazy dangerous- read: not 'didn't conform to policy' not 'didn't satisfy the stupid lawyers'
Pilot to pilots, that was life or death crazy stupid-
Wouldn't have survived the takeoff in MDW
Pilot to pilots, if you think this is safe or remotely ok- quit. You are that unsafe and the reason we have blanket policies the good pilots hate.

Last edited:
Sec. 121.629 — Operation in icing conditions.

(a).........................................

(b) No person may take off an aircraft when frost, ice, or snow is adhering to the wings, ............................

That argument could be made. If you look at the video you can see that they cleared a portion of the wing to see if it was adhering. Gravity is not the same as adhering.

We in the US, live in the world of the lawyers. Unfortunately. Before the glass viewing, button pushing, ipod wearing, back pack crowd jumps on me for being an idiot, tell me when the last air carrier accident was due to snow sitting on the wing.

Do not go with Air Florida. That had nothing to do with ice on the wings. They produced lift and flew. NTSB.gov. Learn something. I will give you a clue. EPR.

Don't get me wrong, I follow the same lawyer rules you all do and waste tons of deicing and anti icing fluid a year. Just don't be so quick to judge from afar, when the proof in in the pudding. It flew. The miracle is not because it had snow sitting on top of the wing, the miracle is that it is an airbus and it flew. :)

You might get away with it (14 CFR 121.629), but the Feds will hang you with the famous "careless and reckless operation" of an aircraft. Not following SOPs, aircraft manufacturer etc.

BUT I'd really like to know what the Cyrillic comments say ...

At least management backed up their pilots, Not very common these days.
I think they were backing up their lawyers and the ministry of propaganda. Back to the cold war. Like denying they shot down KAL 007. Avoids lawsuits and bad press.

Lots of chatter in another web board that the company has launched an investigation in order to prosecute whomever posted this video for the illegal use of electronics during the take off. Nice!

BUT I'd really like to know what the Cyrillic comments say ...
http://translate.google.com/

Copy and paste in to this and you will get a good enough idea.

A lot of the comments seem to be defending the actions.

кстати, у меня одного возник вопрос о том, почему все уверены, что это аэрофлотский самолет? Все дружно поверили автору видео? =

By the way, I have a question arose as to why everyone is convinced that this Aeroflotskaya plane? They all believe the author of the video?

Last edited:
Lots of chatter in another web board that the company has launched an investigation in order to prosecute whomever posted this video for the illegal use of electronics during the take off. Nice!
I didn't even think about that! Classic!

Would love to hear SkyTeam's take on this....

All these idiots that defended this must be management.

While that video is to the extreme, that does not change the fact that way to many of us run to get deiced when there is no need. A flurry and 39 degrees does not constitute ice adhering to the aircraft.

I believe if you need, it get it, as per the FAR's or other evidence that it needs to be done. At the same time... If it is not adhering, it's not adhering. Way too much monkey see monkey do.

Interesting thread. My only comment is that Global Warming can't happen fast enough for me. I can deal with 'too hot'. I'll just get naked - and that ain't pretty. And no judgment calls on performance data when it's 'too hot'.

It looks like they tried to rotate with no success about 30 seconds into takeoff run in video then accelerated some more for the second successful rotation.

Don't know the weights, but their takeoff run is about 15 seconds longer than other 320s on the videos.

Initial thrust to nose wheel off is about 45 seconds compared to 30 seconds with a clean Airbus on youtube.

From my perspective, it didn't look like power was pushed up until ~13 seconds into the video and rotation occurred at ~46 seconds. That's a 33 second takeoff run. Excessive? I don't know. I saw taxiways abeam the wing through 1:04.
Please look at the video again. At ~13 seconds, you can see the power pushed up and the snow blowing off of the wing. I don't understand your comment about a failed attempt to rotate at 30 seconds - I don't see it.

Latest resources

Back