• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Icing no Problem for Aeroflot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sec. 121.629 — Operation in icing conditions.

(a).........................................

(b) No person may take off an aircraft when frost, ice, or snow is adhering to the wings, ............................

That argument could be made. If you look at the video you can see that they cleared a portion of the wing to see if it was adhering.
It may not be adhering to one part of the wing, but could be adhering to another. You won't know unless you clear the whole wing on the ground, or just takeoff to see if it clears. If it doesn't, well, too late.

The greatest value to me of this video is to once again be reminded that passengers simply and widely ignore the FAs' request to turn off all electronic devices. If someone doesn't want to get deiced/anti-iced properly because it is required, then knowing that failure to do so is likely to end up on YouTube, easily traced to a specific flight given a motivated fed's resources, and certificate action, might keep us "clean."

Sec. 121.629 — Operation in icing conditions.

(a).........................................

(b) No person may take off an aircraft when frost, ice, or snow is adhering to the wings, ............................

That argument could be made. If you look at the video you can see that they cleared a portion of the wing to see if it was adhering. Gravity is not the same as adhering.

We in the US, live in the world of the lawyers. Unfortunately. Before the glass viewing, button pushing, ipod wearing, back pack crowd jumps on me for being an idiot, tell me when the last air carrier accident was due to snow sitting on the wing.

Do not go with Air Florida. That had nothing to do with ice on the wings. They produced lift and flew. NTSB.gov. Learn something. I will give you a clue. EPR.

Don't get me wrong, I follow the same lawyer rules you all do and waste tons of deicing and anti icing fluid a year. Just don't be so quick to judge from afar, when the proof in in the pudding. It flew. The miracle is not because it had snow sitting on top of the wing, the miracle is that it is an airbus and it flew. :)

I hope I never fly with you! I had a friend that was killed in the Arrow charter crash back in 1985! With so much research out there, why chance it? Lets face it Aeroflot as much of Russian aviation has a terrible safety record, I've been to that part of the world, the airport and navaid systems are out of date and in most cases don't even work!

Runways with giant pot holes, terminal buildings falling apart and on and on! Safety is not of concern for them! It's just a different culture!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_Air_Flight_1285

Let's see:

1) Get De-Iced (especially when everyone else is.) Possibly, occasionally waste a few thousand dollars of fluid that will not come out of my pocket. Make my passengers feel safer and help me sleep that night without worrying about being on YouTube. Or

2) Be a Maverick and risk you ticket.

Risk vs reward.

Yea #2... you left out the whole death and fireball thing. Ever see snow burn?

Ha, tell that to a check airman at my outfit that got hammered by the FED! Some MX clown was riding in the back, by the wing, there was a trace of frost on top of wing, not sure if it was wet or frozen, the bottom looked fine according to SOP.

Not good to confuse tops and bottoms. Could hurt real bad in places you didn't even know you had. Now what about this SOP business?

Scary freaking video, too.

Unbelievable that some of you defend this practice!!! :eek:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/...-goes-viral-amid-air-safety-fears/456553.html

Unbelievable? Not really. Every organization has its retards and the piloting profession is no different. The sad thing is, the retards at Aeroflot rose to management level and support this.....

"Aeroflot denied that the flight had ever been in jeopardy.

"It's clear from the video that there were no violations," Aeroflot said in a Twitter message. "The snow was instantly blown away at the start of takeoff and therefore definitely didn't affect aerodynamics and safety. Safety is our top priority!"

Aeroflot, which was responding to a Twitter user's tweet of the YouTube video, said its reply was made after consultations with two key officials — its director of air safety and its deputy head of operations.

But airline industry insiders expressed horror at the video and Aeroflot's response."

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/...-goes-viral-amid-air-safety-fears/456553.html

Unbelievable? Not really. Every organization has its retards and the piloting profession is no different. The sad thing is, the retards at Aeroflot rose to management level and support this.....

"Aeroflot denied that the flight had ever been in jeopardy.

"It's clear from the video that there were no violations," Aeroflot said in a Twitter message. "The snow was instantly blown away at the start of takeoff and therefore definitely didn't affect aerodynamics and safety. Safety is our top priority!"

Aeroflot, which was responding to a Twitter user's tweet of the YouTube video, said its reply was made after consultations with two key officials — its director of air safety and its deputy head of operations.

But airline industry insiders expressed horror at the video and Aeroflot's response."

Bad choice on not getting sprayed with Type1. At least management backed up their pilots, Not very common these days.

Delete double post

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back