Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I want to someday get paid to fly. What do you think?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
my IQ is bigger'n urz

Well, at least you're not arrogant about it, or look down your nose at others who have not advanced to higher education...um...like...the original poster....hmmm.

Having a degree does not mean greater intelligence, skills or ability.

_________

-Genious

phil said:
Well, at least you're not arrogant about it, or look down your nose at others who have not advanced to higher education...um...like...the original poster....hmmm.

Having a degree does not mean greater intelligence, skills or ability.
Well, I agree with you to a point. People without college educations should definitely not be viewed as second-class citizens. Things like that are completely uncalled for and if I ever gave that impression, I apologize. Every person has an intrinsic value no matter what their educational background--which is exactly why I feel so strongly about college! I'm saying this stuff for their own beneifit; if one skips college, they miss many opportunities for growth in all aspects of their lives, i.e. intellectual, physical, social, spiritual, etc. Which is to say nothing of job opportunities later on.

I didn't go to a high-priced private school; I went to an open-door state school. (Which is sort of a hyper-irony when you guys call my education "pretty boy" or anal--I'm really very close to the bottom rung of academia. Ask my Ph.d student friends.) And I didn't finish in four years. Would I skip college if I had the decision to make again? Absolutely not. I recommend it for everyone.

And some would say that you can get a great paying flying job without a degree. That may be true. However, I would counter that there is more to life than money, and more to know about in life than airplanes (horrors!). If you don't believe me, just wait until you get into a conversation about something other than aviation. I can at least follow what my physicist and economist grad student friends say about what they are studying because I have some formal training in their disciplines. If I had not attended college, I would be totally lost.

-Goose

Why?

Why would anyone want to talk about something besides airplanes and flying? GosseE I hope you are not one of those guys that finds pilots boring becasue all they do is tell flying stories. If so, don't go on the warbird circuit.

pilotyip said:
Why would anyone want to talk about something besides airplanes and flying? GosseE I hope you are not one of those guys that finds pilots boring becasue all they do is tell flying stories. If so, don't go on the warbird circuit.
Why wouldn't anyone not want to take a break from talkin' shop every now and then? 'Cause that's all they've got?

Seriously though, don't misconstrue me here. I love a good hangar-flying session just as much as (or more than) the next guy. And I don't find pilots boring. Geeze, I am a pilot, and I don't find myself boring.

But let's look at this realistically; at some point in our careers, we will have to deal with non-pilots, be they management, customers, etc. And true, they may want to talk about flying for a while. But eventually, the conversation will turn to something else, and our general erudition (or lack thereof) will become readily apparent--an ATP and a few types doesn't automatically make you the center of the universe.

-Goose

Oh yeah, Warbirds are cool, but I think I'd go with aerobatics. I know, sacrilege! Sacrilege!

I don't find myself boring...especially when I...

Which is sort of a hyper-irony when you guys call my education "pretty boy" or anal--
GooseHead,

Umm, we didn't call your education pretty boy or anal we called you that, big difference.

If you don't believe me, just wait until you get into a conversation about something other than aviation.... If I had not attended college, I would be totally lost.
By your logic (Don't they teach logic anymore at these colleges?), all knowledge (outside of aviation) is contained in a 4 year period attending college. One couldn't possibly have access to the same or more information except of course, by personal instruction from a select few professors and from exclusive books and periodicals offered only to college students?

Obviously one can't buy maturity, life experience, self awareness, or logic with an education.

I am a pilot, and I don't find myself boring.
There's a joke here somewhere, I just can't put my finger on it...yet...

Help--anyone??

phil said:
GooseHead,

Umm, we didn't call your education pretty boy or anal we called you that, big difference.

And I quote: "...that pretty-boy education of yours."

Classic hyper irony, and it just keeps getting better!

phil said:
By your logic (Don't they teach logic anymore at these colleges?), all knowledge (outside of aviation) is contained in a 4 year period attending college. One couldn't possibly have access to the same or more information except of course, by personal instruction from a select few professors and from exclusive books and periodicals offered only to college students?

A little sensitive, are we? Oh well, if you want to believe the above quoted, then I guess that's your deal.

phil said:
Obviously one can't buy maturity, life experience, self awareness, or logic with an education.
Life experience is a given; a biproduct of drawing breath. Maturity, self-awareness, and logic will elude many, regardless of age or educational background.

-Goose

Last edited:
someday get paid to fly, what do you think?

On the issue of college and degrees, I would point out the following : the word is "definitely", not "definately" or "definetely" (see the 2 posts which contain these mis-spellings.) A degree might help one to remember "definite" and "definitely" as follows: Think "finite" (you know, the opposite of "infinite"): has limits, attainable, measurable. Then "definite" is easy to spell; it means pertaining to the measurable, the attainable, the finite. Something like that; I'm writing off the top of my head, here, and I have seven years of post high school formal education with degrees to match. (I think I'm more proud of my ATP, though! And I think it was more the three years of high school Latin that helped with the spelling and with the curiosity about words and language.)
Having said that, I respect the fact that you have a love of flying. And you are already aware that lack of a degree could pose some challenges. In decades past, many non-degreed veterans received advanced certificates and ratings under the G.I. Bill. Anyway, there is something to be said for focus and perseverance. And you are displaying some clear focus. I say good luck to you. You'll probably find employment in aviation, which is your stated goal. You could even do quite well. I wish you the best.

UnAnswerd said:

First, I am moreless ruling out anything with the airlines. As awesome as the airlines are, I see it as unobtainable for one major reason. I am not willing to get a 4-year degree in some related or unrelated area for the sole purpose of getting a Job, which years from now, I may already technically be able to fulfill. So the airlines are out.
Don't completly rule out the airlines, some of the majors do not require a degree. There are also some options out there where you can earn a degree as well as obtain your ratings. Try looking into Embry Riddle, or even some places like the Mesa airlines pilot development program. I am not that familiar with either of those, but I do know people that have done that. I also realize that they may be cost prohibitive but it doesn't hurt to look.

Latest resources

Back