Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I want to someday get paid to fly. What do you think?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
I'm new here, so please let me give you a brief overview of my situation:

I'm 20 years old, and have been working full-time as an auto-tech since graduating high-school. It's going okay, but I just don't find the work very fulfilling, nor do I feel a sense of pride when looking to the future. I have always had an interest in aviation, but never really gave it enough thought, let alone think about a possible career within this exciting area. Until now.

My situation is different from most people though. You see, I have bills to pay and obligations to meet. I cannot afford the time or the money to pursue aviation on a full-time basis, even though I would love to. I have taken the very first step, which is paying for ground-school, and by extension, lots of available information from aviation-acquainted people. I have a basic plan on how I can oneday get paid to fly. What I am asking you guys, is if my way of thinking is correct and if my intended goals are obtainable.

First, I am moreless ruling out anything with the airlines. As awesome as the airlines are, I see it as unobtainable for one major reason. I am not willing to get a 4-year degree in some related or unrelated area for the sole purpose of getting a Job, which years from now, I may already technically be able to fulfill. So the airlines are out.

Fortunately there are other types of aviation jobs out there. My goal is to oneday be involved with one of them! Here's my plan:

Work fulltime as an an auto-tech for years to come. Use the money I earn to pay for flight training. On a part-time basis, I feel I can get myself a private certificate, Instrument rating, multi-engine rating, commercial, and maybe even CFI within about 4 years if I keep at it. Plus I'll be building flight time whenever/however I can. So, if I am really serious, I can be well trained and legally employable by the time I'm 24. From there, even if it's low-pay, I can build time and earn money at the same time.

Not a very elaborate plan, but a plan nonetheless. So what do you guys think, and is this realistic???

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

It's absolutely realistic. Just make sure you have the bux to make it through all the ratings...

If you plan to keep up your "day job", it's going to be hard to build time after you have all your ratings, and you'll need that time to get the corporate/cargo job that I assume you're going to want in lieu of the airlines (and to be sure, you probably won't get hired at a major without one). I'm sure someone's done it, but to build that time you're probably going to have to teach, unless you can fall into some sort of night job.

It's realistic as long as you are prepared for the sacrifices involved... And you can keep up with the payments.

I know one guy, btw, who went from zero time to CFI in a single year. It can be done in far less than your four year plan, but then again, I think he did it pretty much full-time for that year and had some financial backing.

Flight Instruct man! You can be a PT mechanic when the dry spells of no flying are there. Instructing won't pay much, but it's got a lot of good sides if you can live on it.
BTW, there are "some" airlines (regionals) that do not require a degree, but who WANTS to spend a career at the regionals with the way things are today anyway?
There is also corporate, fractional, traffic,, banner tow, freight....the list is long. Good luck.

working for a corporate or charter type operation is definately reasonable. i heard a guy once talk about how he got his certs slowly while in a full time position in a totally different career. in his late thirties he fell into a corporate position with a major flt. dept. and is flying there now full time.

The 1200+ FO's at my airline have been waiting to get "paid" to fly for the last 5 years.....

its definetely possibly! i think you should try to at least fly 3 times a week. once you get your cfi, get to teachin. theres a lot of schools out there that are lookin for instructors unless you get lucky towing banners or something. theres always the military, which im not for, but its a thought. good luck!

Look into the new "sport pilot" certificate. It is new, but I think it is the coming thing. You can get a sport pilot instructor certificat in 150 hours - and start getting *paid*to*fly!

UnAnswerd said:
My situation is different from most people though. You see, I have bills to pay and obligations to meet.

How is that different than most people?

UnAnswerd said:
First, I am moreless ruling out anything with the airlines. As awesome as the airlines are, I see it as unobtainable for one major reason. I am not willing to get a 4-year degree in some related or unrelated area for the sole purpose of getting a Job, which years from now, I may already technically be able to fulfill. So the airlines are out.
Ouch! That hurts my ears. So let me get this straight; the only value you see in getting a four-year degree would be to fulfill some perfunctory job requirement? Very sad.

UnAnswerd said:
Fortunately there are other types of aviation jobs out there. My goal is to oneday be involved with one of them!
Well, I hate to break this to you, but your chances of getting any good job, flying or otherwise, are hurt by not having the degree. Sorry.

-Goose

Goose Egg said:
Ouch! That hurts my ears. So let me get this straight; the only value you see in getting a four-year degree would be to fulfill some perfunctory job requirement?
To be totally honest, yes. And I would very much appreciate it if you could give me some insight on what some other reasons may be. Going to college costs time and money, and why waste those valuable assets if you can be qualified to perform a job without the degree???
Goose Egg said:
Well, I hate to break this to you, but your chances of getting any good job, flying or otherwise, are hurt by not having the degree.
If it's possible to fly for a regional airline without a degree, are there not other areas of aviation that also don't require it?

This has been hashed to death on other threads, so I will keep it simple....

Having a four-year degree, or even a two-year degree, is not a requirement outside of the majors. Not having a degree will not keep you from getting a job at a regional, and probably not in many corporate jobs. However, not having that degree is a strike against you. Just hope that your other qualifications, your interview, and whatnot are enough to explain that hole in your resume.

Latest resources

Back