• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I think I want out!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's good for one isn't necessarily good for antoher. You can take all of our opinions but only YOU can decide what is best my friend. Remember this, if you do step out, you will always be a pilot, and nobody can take your experiences away from you. My story... I am out. Have been for a little more than a year now. These guys are right, it beats working for a living, but...If you like to see your family, sig other, etc. grow up or spend nights with your loved one, then you can not put a pricetag on this. It is priceless. You have to decide what your personal priorities are. You will realize that a degree in Aeronautical Science (or equiv) will get you jack. If you pusue a new degree or industry your general ed classes will xfr to a new degree. Personally, I am employed as a medic and in Nursing School. Looking for a career in Triage Nursing c/in Emergency Medicine. There is an industry 180 degrees from this. They are in HUGE DEMAND, you help others, and the pay and benefits are OUTSTANDING. Work 2 days a week and make 55k your first year, work 5 days a week and make 6 figs. Job security and wondering if you will work for the same employer a year from now, not an issue. However this said, it isn't being a pilot. It isn't glorious (then again is there any left in this industry that has had the bar lowered more and more every year?). I'm not trying to sell the healthcare profession, or any profession, just trying to weigh the sides for ya. I miss flying, I always will. You take for granted the perks, the joy it brings and if you get out you will miss it, but no more will you live the life of your kids (if applicable) through your cell phone or live your relationships c/a sig other through your cell phone counting the days till you can go home. No more Christmas at the Denny's with some guy or gal you can barely endure another week with.

Only you can decide. It will take alot of humble pie. It's hard to put 4 yrs of education, instructing, and professional flying aaside and start from scratch with High School Grads. However, if you do go back to school or go to work in another industry, and people will ask "Why are you here if you are a pilot?". But 8 hours later you are home in your own bed in your own home.

Best of Luck.
As they say...
"Do da right thing!!!"

And for god's sake....If you do stay in, do what you can to raise the bar. Stop letting mgt get away with treating "us" like they are doing us a favor. Hold your ground, and get the pay where it belongs so we don't have to have these conversations. I am all for one union, and a union that can have the power to discriminate against the PFT guys and the I'll fly for food guys who accept these ridiculous wages and working conditions. It'll never get better if the industry as a whole can unite and put a stop to it.

See ya!

My thoughts:

The Love:
I LOVE my flying. I have a nice paying, predictable corporate job. I get to go pull the Cheyenne IV out of the hangar each morning around 7am, prep it, do as much pre-flight planning as I desire in my own hangar office fully equipped with the latest computer technology. My passengers show-up leisurely, climb aboard, and we blast off to our destination. I engage the Collins autopilot and slide my chair back and enjoy a hot cup of Starbucks coffee at FL240. My company arranges a rental car at our destination. I go off to do what I want in a different city each day until my cell phone rings. We meet back at the airport around 3pm or 4pm, and I am home around 5 or 6pm. All this for $65K a year.

The Hate:
But I HATE the regional airlines and what they have done to the industry.
The regional airlines are the ulitmate disgrace and embarrassment to the professional pilot. It continues to boggle my mind how many 'put-up', or 'sacrifice' to go to the regionals to build time, or use the 'stepping-stone' excuse. At what cost: Your marriage? Your family? Starvation? How can one be 'honorable' in a regional pilot position when it pays less than a starting wage at McDonalds? That is a choice to work for the regionals, but I have my right to knock-it too....and I will continue to knock-it until the day comes when aviation jobs actually exceed the pilot-pool population. Many of us were mis-lead in the 90's by Air, Inc. and others: "Prepare for the up-and-coming Pilot Shortage". Never happened, most likely never will. The ploy was a join-agreement/cover-up by aviation universities around the country to attract students (ERAU, UND, Spartan, etc.).

Continue to expect $15,000 a year REGIONAL jobs with very low QOL (Quality Of Life), all-while rich daddies brag about little Johnny getting a regional job, and the denial part of rich daddy continues to send rent, food, car payment, and student loan money.

That is my HATE and my LOVE of aviation gentelmen.

exhaustgas said:
I am employed as a medic and in Nursing School. Looking for a career in Triage Nursing c/in Emergency Medicine.

:)

Aaaahhhh, nursing eh? I have been an ER nurse part time since I began to flight instruct. 8 years later, I have had enough and the most I have worked as a nurse is 2 days a week. Sure the money is good. I have made up to $56/hr. Of course that is working 12 hour days on the weekend. Don't forget having to alternate holidays. It's a great SIDE job, that's about it. Have fun working you a$$ off for that money. NO WAY I would ever give up flying to work as a nurse....no thanks! Good luck to you man....truly. Maybe the grass will be greener for you on the nursing side....it's definitely greener on the flying side for me.

Last edited:
As has been said before, flying is as much a lifestyle as it is a job. Some people just can't hack it. Should they be looked down upon for this shortcoming? (Insert sarcasm here) Absolutely! And feel free to judge them without mercy!

BizPilot said:
My thoughts:

The Hate:
But I HATE the regional airlines and what they have done to the industry.
The regional airlines are the ulitmate disgrace and embarrassment to the professional pilot. It continues to boggle my mind how many 'put-up', or 'sacrifice' to go to the regionals to build time, or use the 'stepping-stone' excuse. At what cost: Your marriage? Your family? Starvation? How can one be 'honorable' in a regional pilot position when it pays less than a starting wage at McDonalds? That is a choice to work for the regionals, but I have my right to knock-it too....and I will continue to knock-it until the day comes when aviation jobs actually exceed the pilot-pool population. Many of us were mis-lead in the 90's by Air, Inc. and others: "Prepare for the up-and-coming Pilot Shortage". Never happened, most likely never will. The ploy was a join-agreement/cover-up by aviation universities around the country to attract students (ERAU, UND, Spartan, etc.).

Like the entry jobs in other times ever had any better pay or schedule, actually worse.

I have been on the corporate side of things and not all jobs out there are as rosy as yours. Not everyone is that lucky.

I'm looking at going back to school and working towards teaching at a university somewhere. As for flying, I will always fly. I loved being a CFI more than anything. I just won't do it to support myself anymore.

rsspilot said:
Well said.......I agree....give the rest of us a chance to pursue the profession we love.

Hey goatjet pilot, You already have the last airline job you will ever have.

I disagree....I will agree that working 9-5 (or 30 minutes a day for that matter) as an accountant would suck, but not every 9-5 is a drag.

Leaving the regionals was the smartest decision I have made. It was a hard decision, but a smart one. I have a life now.

7 years with a regional, left as a CA. My STARTING pay is what my 7 YEAR CA PAY was.

Got out too. No regrets. Love being home every night and sleeping in my own bed.
...Flying? Yeah, I borrow a buddies plane and go. Tons of fun. No pax complaining and no crew sked.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back