I think I want out!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LearLove said:
You might want to try being a teacher. Can't beat the sked. They are in demand. All you need is a 4year and your cfi exp will help if you spin it the right way. Depending on where you are in the US they start between 30 and 40 K. My cousin graduated from Penn State last year and started teaching science last fall at a HS north of Philly PA and he makes what I'm making now, about 38,000/yr.

Wow! Woo hoo.....$38K! That ain't jack! What will he top out at $50K???? Teachers don't make nearly what they are worth. They get shafted paywise more than pilots do, IMO.

tbkane said:
Take it from me 9-5 sucks... I was at a regional for four years got on with Delta, 911 furloughed, worked as an accountant for three years. Came back to another regional in right seat of 1900, left before furlough flew 135 on demand and now am with a frac. Never have made a descent living flying but love the job and hated pushing a pencil around a desk.

GOOD LUCK!

I disagree....I will agree that working 9-5 (or 30 minutes a day for that matter) as an accountant would suck, but not every 9-5 is a drag.

Leaving the regionals was the smartest decision I have made. It was a hard decision, but a smart one. I have a life now.

7 years with a regional, left as a CA. My STARTING pay is what my 7 YEAR CA PAY was.

capt. megadeth said:
Wow! Woo hoo.....$38K! That ain't jack! What will he top out at $50K???? Teachers don't make nearly what they are worth. They get shafted paywise more than pilots do, IMO.

GOOD Teachers don't get paid enough. The majority are over paid.

Same here

Hey Kmox29 - same here. I left the regionals after a few years of lousy schedules, disgustingly low pay and all the rest that goes with it and couldn't be happier to be out. Sure I miss flying, but I like the idea of having a real future in my new business - and in all honesty I work a lot fewer hours (if you take all the non-paid aviation duty time hours into account). I tip my hat to anyone who flies for a regional...it's only reward is intrinsic. There are many ways to make a much better life for yourself outside of aviation...and yes, still enjoy going to work everyday. It's like anything else...being away from it is easy - getting to the point of resigning takes a lot of real honesty with yourself. Best of luck to anyone who jumps out....it's a lot better than just "not so bad" out here.

A little more ground based

I bailed out into the real estate business. While the market is slowing down from where it was, it still only takes 3 house sales a year to exceed what I made as a regional pilot. So far I've got 3 deals done and one in the works. Granted I work in the Northeast where you can't buy much of a house for under $500K...which helps with the commission checks!!

I could see getting a 9-5er when the time is right, like the house sale stuff. Getting a regular job can be a roll of the dice though. There's a very good possibility you might be working for some Bill Lumberg protoge and man I tell you what, THAT would SUCK! Gotta get a job where you are your own boss.

erjguy, do you truly love flying? Do you think flying is cool or is it your job? A senior pilot asked me that and it made me think. Most of us love what we do. Many had prior 9-5 jobs and truly hated it. Just because you don't fly for a airline(regional) doesn't mean you are not a complete pilot. I'm relatively new to the regionals but I understood what I was getting into. Do you want to go through what the regionals ask of a new hire again? Pay sucks and most new guys will accept this because they are told that we are just starting to build our career. "Better opportunities will eventually come." Getting on with a nice corporate or fractional gig doesn't seem to bad. Evaluate what you want out of life and then make your decision. Take into consideration that I'm just a newbie.
P.S. I sure hope that Human Development degree pays off if this flying career doesn't work out!

BoilerUP said:
Yeah I read what he said, did you,Mr. Holier-than-thou?

He's getting furloughed from Trans States, and that sucks. I asked him how much flight time he had because alot of regionals are hiring. Depending on how much time he has, he can get hired on everywhere from Mesa to CAL. Maybe he doesn't want to keep flying, or maybe he doesn't have any options, I dunno...

Most of the people that say "go do a trade" or "I can make twice as much money doing _____" are the same people that DON'T and ruin the atmosphere for everybody else.

If you don't like the industry, then quit - there are plenty of jobs available out there for somebody with a bachelors degree.

Well said.......I agree....give the rest of us a chance to pursue the profession we love.

erjguy said:
Has anyone made the move out of the industry?

I got out for about 4.5 years in the mid 90's. Most of the regionals had embraced PFT and I wasn't about to subsidize business expenses that should be handled by an employer. Lots of other guys got out too. Many went into computer related work and some did pretty well during the dotcom boom.
I went back into sales in the construction industry and made some money, sometimes more in a month or two than regional pilots made in a year back then.

If I were you I'd look at corporate or fractionals unless you like starting over for next to nothing.

The only reason I'm still doing this job is that I don't commute and I'm not gone overnight too much. I also have a side business ( www.IPsails.com ) that I really enjoy. I expect the side business to generate enough income in the not too distant future that I can just bank my flying bankcheck and pretend that money doesn't exist until it's time to retire.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back