• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I-Phone passenger knows all.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He could have instructed the FA to explain the situation to the passenger instead of hanging him. I'm sure that will be the last time he'll ever fly with that airline. Good job in helping your airline grow, captain.

Was that part of your CAPT training?

I had a pax do the same thing to me several months ago from IAD using his "crack-berry". I told him there were scatered TS in the DFW area and that it would probably be bumpy with some rain when we arrived. He quickly whipped out his little gadget to show me that the weather radar was good, which it did indeed show no precip. I didn't argue, but I figured it get the last word.

Sure enough, 2+15 later were are being vercorted with DFW TRACON and getting some good bumps and rain. Naturally I gave him a jab as he deplaned about the rain and rough ride. Next time I am gonna give him that little sticker I got when I purchased my Luggage Works roller bag: Get in, sit down, shut up, hang on!

No Oakum Boy, that wasn't part of my CAPT training. You can't learn professionalism from a flight school that doesn't know what it means. But getting back to the conversation at hand, it's called being a professional in a professional environment. I'm not calling the captain a liar since I don't have the weather reports for the situation to assess it myself. My point was he should have handled the situation in a professional manner. Passengers are always going to bitch and moan. It's how you handle the situation that distinguishes you. And IMHO, this captain decided it was perfectly okay to publicly humiliate this iPhone passenger.

And with millions of iPhones out there, I'm sure this isn't going to be the only incident. After sitting on the ramp/tarmack for hours not going anywhere fast, that iPhone just might be tempting to find out what exactly is going on...with the Internet so available and all on that device. Passengers aren't the dumb cattle they once were.

DX Rick & Vetrider, I don't know about other people but when I fly, I have my list of preferred airlines that I'd rather fly on and a list of airlines I will never fly on. Sure, the cost of the ticket is a key consideration but if it's within $50 difference, I'll go with the preferred carrier. This goes for hotels, cars, restaurants, anything. Why would I tolerate your bullsh!t when I can give my money to your competitor and ruin your reputation in the process?

Just ask CAPT. They know all about how poor service to their clients has caused a detrimental effect on their student enrollment in the United States.

Ninija,
Should you ever make it to a 121 carrier, you will understand about the smart ass pax. Every so often, one will pop his head up and try to assert that he has more knowledge/authority than the Capt. Most of the time those individuals cannot be reasoned with and the only thing that seem to work is a good ole' public humiliation. Don't comment until you have been there and I have.

Yeah, I'm going to say the chances of me getting into a Part 121 outfit has all been lost, no thanks to CAPT. And you are right that I shouldn't knock it until I try it. But then again, I recognize a lack of professionalism when I see it. The captain could have easily smiled and said, "thank you, we'll do the best we can to get going." and leave it at that.

Or...maybe the captain could have just kept his mouth shut and be more professional about the situation instead of openly embarrassing a passenger that clearly has no intimate knowledge of how aviation works. He could have instructed the FA to explain the situation to the passenger instead of hanging him. I'm sure that will be the last time he'll ever fly with that airline. Good job in helping your airline grow, captain.

Ninja,

It may have not been as tactful as it could have however....Until you have any time acting as a PIC please refrain from judging other pilots actions.

Your broad judgemental statements show how little you know about this job. Just you overpaid for some title on your resume from some school, What right does that give YOU to judge a captains or f.o.'s or f.a.'s response to any situation?

"Graduated CAPT 10/2005 - Summa Cum Laude, Highest Time (459TT/101ME) of any graduate! No Job, Big Debt!"

Since you obviously show no humbleness, who cares if you are Summa...and WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU ARE GUARANTEED A JOB? Were you on an episode of "My Super Sweet 16"????

Your post and your "signature" show what is exactly wrong with this industry.

Once YOU have had a student show up and say, "Well, I DO have Microsoft Flight Sim. 2007...and then procede to try to kill you....

Or....the day after the Comair crash have some a$$ stick his head in and say..."Make sure your on the right runway guys, ha,ha,ha"....

Until YOU have had to make decisions about your airplane, passengers, crew, cargo, company....

Until YOU have had the RESPONSIBILITY of all of those things resting on YOUR ATP certificate, meanwhile the consequences of making a mistake can mean the worst possible of things(loss of life) or losing your career let alone a job....

Please let the flight crew do their jobs and not be so quick to judge.

Do YOU tell your doctor how to treat other patients? Do YOU tell your lawyer how to litigate other clients?
Do YOU tell your banker how to manage other peoples accounts?

Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't the highest time in a program like CAPT where the idea is to get 'er done quickly... a bad thing? Not something I'd be proud of.

Oh Ninja Ninja Ninja... you armchair quarterbacking the captain in question is no different then that pax armchair quarterbacking him.

I'll bet a stack of high-society (sorry, couldn't resist the "Rounders" slang) that the crew was on the last turn of a 4 day, possibly extended to the 5th or 6th day, trip. At that point, the crew is tired and doing their damndest to keep a smiling face on. Believe me, it is not at all amusing to get some pax who thinks he is the representative for all the pax on that plane and decides to challenge your authority and knowledge.

Would you walk into your stock broker's office the moment your fund lost 3% and you think he should've seen it coming because you "did some research on your own"? I doubt you would, and why? Because you know he knows more. I'll admit, there are other ways to get the point across to that passenger that could have been better, but if he were on my plane, he will get the point one way or the other. Perhaps something like this:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I realize some of you have the ability to view realtime weather on your PDA's and such, but you need to understand that just because you don't see anything or the forecast says neh to rain/storms, keep in mind that there are a lot more dynamics to weather than meets the eye and those reports you are seeing do not reflect that. Additionally, there is a long list of hoops such as ATC, dispatch, alternate planning and more that we need to jump through and in a certain order and we are no special then the aircraft or passengers sitting on our right there. Please be patient with us and trust that we are doing what is safest for you and for us and not misleading you in anyway. We are always thankful for your patronage and never wish to inconvenience you, but sometimes these things happen. And if it makes you feel better, we are all in the same boat with you, so please do not take out any frustrations on cabin crew. Please note that the seatbelt sign is off if you need to stand up and we will warn you when it is about time to move, and we will do our best to keep the cabin comfortable. Thank you".

"Oh yes... Free drinks all around!!!!" (just kidding)

Latest resources

Back