Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From a flight attendant’s perspective:

AS A COMMUTING PILOT:

Don’t assume you have immediate and total access to the cockpit the minute you step on the plane. Some of us know how to do our job, and know the crew up front and where they are in their work. They may be running a checklist, on the radios, attending to a mx issue etc. We often know this and will ask you to wait just a moment.

Don’t hang out in the cockpit for the entire boarding process. On many regional aircraft, there is barely enough room up front for me to do my job. I am supposed to be up front, standing by the cockpit door. I really don’t need to have to find another place to stand during the boarding process, I really have no interest in rubbing up against your butt as it hangs out of the cockpit and if I can find someplace else to stand, the folks in the first three rows do not want to look at your butt while you chat. That goes for the galley as well. I might need/use that space. Take a seat or wait outside the aircraft.

Don’t do all you revisions, charts and bids then leave it all stuffed in the seat back pocket, the floor, and the seat next to you. Yeah, it is my job to clean the airplane when you leave, but a little common courtesy would indicate that after your free ride, that you at least hand me your garbage as I coming through the cabin in flight.

Don’t get all dejected when you see a male flight attendant on your flight. I actually have had, more then once, a jump seating male pilot tell me “I was hoping you’d be a chick.” I am sorry that I am a guy and you are not going to have eye candy for your 42 minute flight to your base. And, not every male FA is a gay. Please don’t mutter fag, homo, or whatever other derogatory comment you chose to use prove your manhood when you do not get what you want.

Don’t bother the female flight attendants, especially when they are on IOE or getting a check ride. They do not think you are hot. If they do, they will let you know. They are at work, let them work.

Don’t sit and complain about how horrible your work place is. If you are so lucky to sit with another commuting/non revving pilot, remember to use your indoor voice. My passengers do not want to hear your complaints, how poorly run your company is, how bad the bids are, how fat/ugly/gay your FA’s are, how much the hotels suck, your union sucks, your commute sucks, how much my airline sucks, how much you drank the night before, etc. They do not know which airline you work for, so they assume you work for mine.

Don’t question me when I ask you take a certain seat on the plane. Usually I know what we are doing about weight and balance and may need you in the seat/section I ask you to take. I am not really that interested in how your company does it or that you never have to move people on your plane. I know you want a whole row to yourself, but sometimes I just cannot accommodate your request.

Do ask if there is anything I need. I probably do not need anything – but who knows – one day I might. It’s not like I am going to ask you to serve drinks or clean the lav.

Do engage in conversation when appropriate. Some of us are actually interesting people.

Do answer questions from my passengers, and for that matter from me. They do not know what airline you work for, so they think you work here. Like it or not, that uniform, like mine is an open invitation for questions. If I ask you a question it might be because I am genuinely interested or need something explained. And remember, I am a pilot too – though not yet a professional like you. You might one day sit next to me in the cockpit. What goes around comes around.

Do tidy up your seat area. Cross your seat belt, pick up your stuff. I know you are a pilot and a customer and as such you are not required to clean up after yourself, but come on, we are all in this together.

Do ask politely for stuff. I do not want you to sit there uncomfortable, thirsty, hungry cold or hot. If you need something, just let me know. But be polite, and understanding if I cannot do it right then and there.

All that said, the very best commuters are the folks at jetBlue, Independence and Southwest – you folks are welcome on every flight I work. The worst seem to be the fresh out o’ the box 23 year olds who seemingly have no manners or ability to behave in public.

So my rant is over.

2yrs2go,

Great post...not a rant but a wake up call.....

Sorry Terry but this post gets my vote. As a previous jumpseat coordinator I am embarrassed by todays j/s ettiquite, if it can be called that.

In addition, how about [pretending] to pay attention to the FA briefing. It is called coutersy and respect.

Finally, the clown pilots that step up to the cockpit and say "Well, I guess I am riding with you..." You are? Is your self invite really a j/s request?

Remember when you are jumpseating the FA's have rank over you. Treat them with respect.

Terry great post.

I was wondering if any of you non revvers ever told a passenger that you were sitting near to be quite quite during a FA briefing. I was travelling the other day and this couple kept on talking and interrupting other passengers, i just felt like turning around and telling them to be quite. I know that when i non-rev i try to be as invisible as possible.

I even had a woman who was on her cell phone during take off role and yet i didnt say anything. My question is that if you are non revving on a different carrier, do you speak up?

8HourPilot said:
Hey Terry, you dont have to answer, but where do you commute from, I assume it's to ATL.

I did PHX to IAD, then PHX to STL and now I am airlined all over for NJA. Since NJA buys the ticket literally at the last second, I frequently get the dreaded middle seat. And since I represent NJA, I have to behaveth.
But at least one of the biggest dreads of commuting is gone: I have a ticket so I know I'll get on.
Good luck and hang in there guys.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
At least we have the cockpit door to close... the poor FAs have to deal with them....

And that is why I am one of those "anal" people whose face turns red when I hear the term "stewardess". Todays public doesn't possess the class to appreciate a "stewardess", so I always make them say "flight attendant".
Those gals have my sympathy! I wouldn't last a week. I can see the headlines now: "Flight Attendant arrested in assault on multiple passengers".

pookie said:
I was wondering if any of you non revvers ever told a passenger that you were sitting near to be quite quite during a FA briefing.

Actually, I have been told at everywhere that I have worked that we should "butt-out" while on nonrev or JS travel. In fact, I have heard of pilots being fired for having a situation escalate from telling a pax to be quiet, settle down or whatever. The FA's know their cabin and they know their job. But even they sometimes suprise me. I have been on several planes where the FA allows someone to the lav during approach, and had the plane LAND with said persons in the lav. Again, poor judgement and lack of control in my opinion, but it is their cabin, and it is their job. I draw the line at physical contact though. That is where it becomes a matter of being a man and protecting the FA from violence. This applies whether the FA is male, female or confused somewhere in between. That is where I step in. And please don't anyone give me the BS about the FA having had "training" in self defense. Having been a hand to hand combat instructor in the Marines, I can tell you that most of their "training" is worthless in an airplane. Range is vital, and an airplane offers none. The only value any of their "training" comes in is in the form of confidence it builds. The long and short of it: I stay out of it unless asked to involve myself, or if it becomes physical.

To the FA who does not like us standing in the front of the plane, I have to question this as a matter of your personal preference. I have found in some 300 or so commutes that the big majority of the FA's I dealt with prefer to keep us at the front where we are out of the way, thus preventing a logjam every time we have to move for a passenger. I make it a personal policy to be the last one on when I can. If I can't, I go back out to the jetway until they are ready for me.
As for the rest of your post, I am ashamed that you should even have to mention these things. Pilots should know better than that.

Rez,
I will reiterate my sentiments as above...what the heck is going on? Is this a recent trend? Looks like mommy and daddy didn't spank these ones....

Last edited:
acaTerry said:
Rez,
I will reiterate my sentiments as above...what the heck is going on? Is this a recent trend? Looks like mommy and daddy didn't spank these ones....

Well, I'll hit you with my opinion, but it is just that....

I had a conversation with my FA during a DH. It seemed that more and more people are simply and soley out for themselves. A simple example would be getting cut off in the parking lot while looking for a space. Some guy just barged in and took it... Social grace and civility is gone. And why is that....

All right, here I go....

I think we as a society has lost touch with what is important. The first half of the 1900's was pretty tough. Two World Wars and the depression. People knew what what important and were grateful for what they could get; food, family, clothing, a job, peace, etc.... The attitudes of this generation didn't sit well with the Baby Boomers. Combined with the feminist agenda, this created the mantra of 'screw you, I'm gonna get mine'. In addition, the jump to a hyper-consumption culture and the 'keeping up with the Joneses' attitude has simply dedicated our personal resources to capacity. You rarely hear of dinner parties and cocktails anymore. No time.

Now with debt at an all time high, divorce at records level and more of our children on behavior altering drugs, no wonder people have no time for social grace and courtesy. Recall the grace after 9/11. The civility saturated us...but it quickly evaporated.

Do we need to buy all that stuff? With two parents working and kids craving attention, of course the divorce rate is high. And with kids craving love and attention, no wonder they are annoying and need to be pacified with drugs.

Back to your original post, some pax check to see if someone is behind them before moving their airline seat back, many just come right back!

It is just an attitude and mantra I guess....not too much we can do about it except act by example....

I've started a new book Servant Leadership. I discovered it reading the Southwest book, Nuts. I'm interested what it has to say...

Etiquette cannot operate where there is no goodwill or moral sense or community concern to reach

Last edited:
I was on a van the other day w/ a JB Captain......couldn't have been 30yo and he had a soul patch. I could hardly contain myself. W/in 24 hours of that event I saw a regional FO with both epaulets installed backwards. It really is getting pretty sad out there. There is no joy in my Mudville anymore:(

Flic1 said:
Great post! I think you hit the nail on the head on all points but you did forget the part about the 22 year old pilots with the gelled, spiky hair and long sideburns!! I saw a guy last week and I thought one of the Gotti kids got a job as an RJ FO! Lets face it, as the airlines are going down the tubes, so is the professionalism and the attitudes. It has become an absolute nightmare to fly as a passenger anymore....

Latest resources

Back