Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA44Jockey

Stupid Comair pilot
I just did a turn today in DAY, and I nearly died. The wx was VFR with no precip., and and a Comair flight was doing a quick turn. So let me ask the great Comair pilot group that dominates this board, why in the hell did he have to be de-iced? Was it his goal to piss off the personal who's time he wasted? The glycol wasted, and the money wasted? Or delayed the pax, and pissing them off as well? Is it your goal to do all of things in the face of Mother Delta to show them how great a pilot group you are? Waste it all away and watch the vultures come in and take you job

I don't know how things are dealt with over there with your Pilot Group, but let me fill you in on how we do things over here at Comair. I'll first start off by telling you flat out that I was the FO on that flight. I am a very junior FO as well. However, as Junior as I am I will tell you that I had every reason to advise the Captain that we needed de-iced that day. We flew in from CVG that morning and VFR conditions didn't exist until about 15 miles from the field. On decent through IMC in freezing weather, there is a tendancy for ICE to accumulate on various surfaces of an aircraft. Yes it was a QUICK turn (No time for Ice to melt) and during my walk around the aircraft had various surfaces covered in Ice. I don't know about your aircraft over there, but not every surface of our aircraft have de-icing or anti-icing capabilities. That day the Nose of the aircraft, the Entire leading edge of the Winglets, The windshield wipers and the leading edge of the flaps had ICE accumlation on them. Those specific areas were hit with some Type I and we were on our way. Out of the gate to OFF the ground was 10 minutes including the deice proceedure. We arrived SAFELY and ONTIME with our Passengers smiling back in CVG.

I do believe YOUR Pilot Group is probably having a hard time reading this with how you just represented them. Sorry to the rest of your Pilot Group, but I'm glad you work for them and not along side me.

I thought you were the SkyWest dork??? Ah, I can't keep up around here. THANKS COMAIR!!!

No, he probably isn't kidding about that. I've found "mystery ice" there many times on walk arounds. In fact, we found it there on my aircraft checkout a few years ago on the walk around. The examiner used it as a great example of where ice can be hidden fairly easily.

Mookie

With little to no experience these days in the cockpit (sorry kids, 3000hrs in a senaca fartin around FL doesnt count), I'd rather see these monkeys de-ice when they dont have too.

Damn. There's so much bravado here. If the aircraft was iced up according to his description, whats the big deal about getting de-iced. I'm sure the folks inside the cabin don't mind any delay that this procedure entails.

kudos for speaking up and taking a stand PA44.

wolfpackpilot said:
With little to no experience these days in the cockpit (sorry kids, 3000hrs in a senaca fartin around FL doesnt count), I'd rather see these monkeys de-ice when they dont have too.

How much experience does it take? See ice on the airframe, call for deice. Not that hard.

Not to mention...

...other things like say, active frost which can occur in VFR conditions or an airfoil surface below freezing with a temp/dewpoint spread closer than 3 degrees C and converging.

Seriously, was there really some "expert" ranting and raving about some crew deicing when said "expert" felt there was no need to? I can understand and laugh at the summer time stories (or exagerations) of receiving Type IV because of forecast enroute icing, but who really gives a crap if its VFR out, you don't have to deice, but the crew at the next gate feels the need to for whatever reason? Sheesh (golly!).

wolfpackpilot said:

so with soooo much more experience wolfpack can you explain why you and your fellow corporate chums mannaged to crash left and right last winter on icing and instument approach issues?

To me I would rather trust a "kid" (with 3000 hrs of FL seneca time) that flys part 121 opps 4 days a week following procedures. Then an over a over confident jack @ss that flys once or twice a month in a jet and thinks hes god.

Latest resources

Back