Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G2T

3 Times yesterday...

1. PHL: "PDT, cleared to land 35, caution wake turbulence landing 27R prior to your arrival is a B-767." And of course the 76 driver hovered about 5 ft. above the 35 intersection, perfect.

2. PHL: Exactly the same as the previous one, only now it was an A330.

3. And the winner was in boston, on final for 33L. We requested 33R, but for some reason they felt it better to weave the mighty Dash into some more heavys.

BOS: "PDT, Cleared ILS 33L, caution wake turbulence, following a heavy 747 landing prior to your arrival."

BOS: "PDT, there will be one departure prior to your arrival, Heavy B-767. Caution wake turbulence."

My Captain: "From which one?"

BOS: "Uhhh, both of them (said with a chuckle)"

CAPT: "We can do S turns if you need to squeeze in or out any more heavys..."

BOS: "Sorry 'bout that PDT, that should be all of them, Cleared to land, welcome to BOS."

Capt. "Thanks."

I'm not compaining, it was just an interesting day. I find it funny how the smallest airplanes seem to attract the largest traffic. Kept us on our toes, as if landing the Dash nicely isn't enough of a challenge without worring about wake turbulence! Happy Flying.

Coming into DEN about 5 months ago and on a vector for a "base leg" for 16L (about 10 north of the airport) and suddnenly the plane turns into an 80degree bank. We were following a 757. That was the first time I had been in some good wake. From now on I ride a dot high.

Nearly every go around I have ever done has been has been for conflicting crossing traffic while landing rwy 35 at PHL. Go-around, rip a tight right turn for the close downwind for 26, configure and land while PHL screams to keep it tighter!

PHL! Keeps you on your toes!

LowlyPropCapt said:
Nearly every go around I have ever done has been has been for conflicting crossing traffic while landing rwy 35 at PHL. Go-around, rip a tight right turn for the close downwind for 26, configure and land while PHL screams to keep it tighter!

PHL! Keeps you on your toes!

Ooooh, you can always S-turn and skip the top of both wakes. Makes a crazy sound!

What the HELL???!?! Drives me nuts.

My favorite ever, at JFK:

"Blue Ridge XXX traffic ahead is a Boeing 747 aaaaaaaaaaaaaabout 5 miles, he's at approach speed, cleared to land, maintain 190 or greater until advised I have traffic 2 miles behind you".

Are they even allowed to do that?

IFR arriving into PHL in an RJ, approach had us 2 1/2 miles behind our traffic to the runway. When we checked on with tower, she says "caution wake turbulence for the 757 ahead of you that is on a 2 mile final."

Thanks Philthy!

J32driver said:
IFR arriving into PHL in an RJ, approach had us 2 1/2 miles behind our traffic to the runway. When we checked on with tower, she says "caution wake turbulence for the 757 ahead of you that is on a 2 mile final."

Thanks Philthy!

Saftey first...:uzi: :puke:

Nearly went inverted out of OHare one night behind a 777. Full left aileron and it still wanted to roll over.

Fun stuff!

eight8kcabpilot said:
Coming into DEN about 5 months ago and on a vector for a "base leg" for 16L (about 10 north of the airport) and suddnenly the plane turns into an 80degree bank. We were following a 757. That was the first time I had been in some good wake. From now on I ride a dot high.

I had a similar experience departing EWR in a Saab 340 some years ago that made me a true believer in how serious wake turbulence can be. We got spun in to a 90 degree bank. That experience and the clear air turbulence I got over the Rockies are the only times I thought I was truely going to die in an airplane.

good stuff, guys. i've been fortunate, in the minescule amount of flying that i have, to avoid wake turbulence, as i fly into smaller airports. i never knew it could be as serious as a 90 degree bank, though. that's enough to make you shart in your pants.

Latest resources

Back