I love wake turbulence...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cforst513 said:
good stuff, guys. i've been fortunate, in the minescule amount of flying that i have, to avoid wake turbulence, as i fly into smaller airports. i never knew it could be as serious as a 90 degree bank, though. that's enough to make you shart in your pants.
It can be as serious as a friggin 360.

gkrangers said:
It can be as serious as a friggin 360.

Which isn't nearly as bad as a friggin 180 ;).

I had my first taste of wake a couple of weeks ago. Wake from the departing plane in front of me caused a 20 degree bank and heading change despite almost full aileron and most of the rudder. It was a few seconds after takeoff. The fact the other plane was only a second or two in front of us might have had something to do with it though.

Lilah

Funny, actually I have many times, but have never been bumped like the time a couple of weeks ago.

Lilah

JFK one morning Saab-340 up from DCA. Low IFR (300 and 1/2) rain, winds are something like 110/30 gust to 35. Lined up on 4R ILS controller asks can we take ILS 4L capt says sure. I am flying tune up 4L everything is fine till about 800 feet agl IMC. Plane rolls 80-90 to the left almost vertical to the ocean. Anyway get it rolled out somehow get the glide path back and land 4L. JFK had a AA 767-300 land on 4R 5 minutes before us. With the winds it blew the wake into our flight path. Strange we never heard the 76 on the freq. I kissed the nasty JFK ground on that day.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back