Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alin10123 said:
Hey guys,
Not to cause a big fuss. I just did my first solo today! I'm so excited. I thought my heart was going to be pounding like crazy. But it wasn't. It only got slightly faster and once i was off of the ground i looked around and thought "hmm, i kind of like this".

I did 3 times full stop around the pattern. First landing was a slight bounce, 2nd was really good, but third had a crosswind pickup and was drifting slightly on the touchdown. But all in all... i am very excited. I actually wanted to go for a 4th time around so that i could get a perfect landing in there but i figured i'd better not. It was getting dark and my instructor specifically said 3 times. Good thing i didn't go for the 4th, he was back at the school with a handheld listening to me. So... if i had gone he would've known. lol

Cross country stuff next...

Congratulations! I remember my first solo...i was so nervous...i did three stop and gos and completely forgot to take the flaps out before taking off again...took off with full flaps...then realized my mistake and took them all out...bad situation...it was still fun and its a day i will never forget...its also the only time ATC has ever said "congratulations" either
:D :) :beer:

Hey, I just found this thread, so congrats on the solo and the passed checkride! Have fun with your newfound freedom!

81Horse said:
Congratulations! Seven weeks from solo to checkride? You're on the fast track, huh? Keep up the good work, Alin; just the first of many, many checkrides to go.

Actually... it was much shorter than 7 weeks. There was 10 days before the checkride that i wasn't able to fly because of the weather. The winds were acting crazy here. Crazy as in like gusts of 20 knot direct cross winds. Then i had to schedule the examiner and he wasn't available for a few days. Otherwise... i could've gotten this done much quicker. lol

Anyways... thanks for the kind words. I'll be updating everything when i get them.

Congrats to you. What an accomplishment in such a short time! Enjoy your flying career!

congratulations - the 1st solo is always memorable - I remember mine like it was yesterday - I don't even remember much about checkrides but the first solo sticks out still..
There was a nice article in AOPA (more of a blurb than an article) a few months ago where a guy's son was waiting to solo a few years ago at Merritt Island, FL..and Jim Halsell, who's been an Air Force fighter/test pilot, flown the SR-71, piloted the shuttle on STS-65 and 74 and commanded STS-83,94, and 101 and is assigned to STS-120, was there and told him of all his flights, his first solo way back when still stood out!! He even sent the kid a congrats. letter and picture when he was able to solo a few weeks later when the weather was better

Jim Halsell comes from a great family, he's a local hero in the Monroe, LA area.

for grammer

That's wonderful to hear and not surprising - over the years I've written to several astronauts and usually gotten a signed picture - sometimes w/a short note on the back, especially from the ones that are from Massachusetts like myself since I always mention that! I wrote to Jim about 4 years ago and had asked a couple questions- w/in 3 days I received a 2-page hand-written letter from him with this thoughts about what I'd asked.
I hope they get the foam-shedding problem fixed so he (and others) can return to spaceflight before the shuttle program comes to an end. He's been assigned to STS-120 since January 2003; it's the last major construction of the ISS flight.

Thanks everyone. I've already jumped into my instrument rating already. It's actually a lot of fun. Much more fun than i thought it'd be. I'll report back to let you guys know how it goes. :D

Congrats!!!!!!!

UALX727 said:
Congrats, that is something you will never forget!!!!
You know, I actually don't remember mine.
Oltimers, I think

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back