I hear-by challenge general lee:

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Redflyer,

Did you check up again on that DTW-NRT Flight (I mean flights) that flew out today? Boy the General got you on that one. Way to set yourself up. You looked at an add on flight (probably for cargo), and not the normal flight that was pretty much full. Eating crow?

OYS

Absolutely no crow OYS. A little worried about the loads to Asia this summer? I would be if I were you, they suck dude..get used to it, I've seen the numbers. Radioactive Japan is not going to get better over the next three months.

I pointed out ONE flight that had 40% passenger load on a 14+ hour flight and your trying to claim some kind of victory with that? You obviously didn't go to business school.

Here's a hint...that doesn't make money for Delta and there's more pain for the next 3 months, at a minimum. Need me to pull flight loads for June and July? Do you really want me to prove you wrong?

Last edited:
History is fun.

OYS

It really is fun, here's a small recap...

1- Delta ALPA allows so much outsourcing of domestic flying to RJ's that it has cost THOUSANDS of mainline DL jobs and salaries. (plus dues that would have been paid to DALPA)

2- Delta management sells a few DC-9's to a new upstart called Valujet which grew into Airtran, costing Delta millions of dollars in revenue over all the years since. (which still continues)

3- Delta's poor management forces the once mighty Delta into bankruptcy.

4- Delta post a 1st Q. 2011 loss almost as big as AMR's trying to deal with NINE fleet types and all the cost associated with them, with large load reductions in Asia and rising fuel prices.

The problem OYS, is that you can't re-write history, it is what it is brother.

Absolutely no crow OYS. A little worried about the loads to Asia this summer? I would be if I were you, they suck dude..get used to it, I've seen the numbers. Radioactive Japan is not going to get better over the next three months.

I pointed out ONE flight that had 40% passenger load on a 14+ hour flight and your trying to claim some kind of victory with that? You obviously didn't go to business school.

Here's a hint...that doesn't make money for Delta and there's more pain for the next 3 months, at a minimum. Need me to pull flight loads for June and July? Do you really want me to prove you wrong?

Are you guys referring to DTW-NRT on April 29?

There were two because the flight on the 28th was cancelled. The pax that couldn't be rebooked went on the made-up early flight on the 29th, with the 40% load factor.

Aside from that, it just seems like you don't understand advance bookings or something.

Need me to pull flight loads for June and July? Do you really want me to prove you wrong?

The loads from DTW and ATL in the next week or so look pretty good actually. Even though it's just a couple of months till summer I bet those flights fill up to about what they are now. People aren't booking as far out in advance as they used to so looking at any flight a couple months out are going to look pretty open. NRT is still a hub to everywhere else in Asia. I don't think transient passengers are going to be too worried about passing through there the next couple of months.

I understand advanced bookings, just to be clear..

On the 29th, there were two flights. The first booked to 258 out of 393, or 65% load.

The second was 75 out of 393, or 19% load. Combine the two for 42% load factor for the day.

Just like 5/2, 22% load. The ADVANCED bookings for June and July look just as bad.

Is that clear enough. Let me bottom line it for you, if Delta isn't running close to and average 80% load on these long legs, they are losing money.

This WILL effect the second quarter. No question. OYS and Gen don't think it will. We'll see in 90 days.

Last edited:
Lets not forget how SWA got their contract improvements....on the backs of the legacies in their heyday.

Yeah, strong company... As profits went up so did the pay of the Pilots.

I understand advanced bookings, just to be clear..

On the 29th, there were two flights. The first booked to 258 out of 393, or 65% load.

The second was 75 out of 393, or 19% load. Combine the two for 42% load factor for the day.

Just like 5/2, 22% load. The ADVANCED bookings for June and July look just as bad.

Is that clear enough. Let me bottom line it for you, if Delta isn't running close to and average 80% load on these long legs, they are losing money.

This WILL effect the second quarter. No question. OYS and Gen don't think it will. We'll see in 90 days.

Hahaha...no wonder you think the loads are so bad. You're reading them BACKWARDS!

The 258 is 258 open seats. That was the pop-up flight to cover from the day before.

The second flight was 100% minus whatever you thought the load factor was. So, 81% load?

The next few weeks look mostly full in both classes. The quake in Japan still doesn't effect pax going to Manila, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul, Guam, Taipei, Bangkok, Saipan, etc. Sure, oil does but the loads look normal for this Asia flying: full. Why you even brought it up I don't know but that is another discussion.

Just a public service announcement to any SWA guys bashing DAL based on loads on a few select Asia flights (and I don't work for either company but I find this argument humorous)...just make sure you aren't reading the loads backwards.

Agreed - everyone should be thankful of SWA's great contract. It will serve as a basis for other negotiations going forward...

ALPA is all about pattern bargaining. They invented the concept, you know... just ask them. Of course they started the pattern of RJs to cover the pattern on the low end, but left the pattern of higher wages to others like SWAPA and APA.

You do know that it started with UAL's contract, right? I was there when it started. Delta then picked up on it, and eventually Southwest did. History is fun.

OYS

You are such a loser, SWA has always made it known that if you want UAL, DAL or AA rates, then go fly there. Southwest pay has just kept on the same narrow percentage rate since 1971, and we work fine with that. As a matter of fact we would love it if you guys would make $400 an hour, since it would only contribute to another bankruptcy with your inept management.

Latest resources

Back