• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I guess no doesn't mean no for Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And how much money to shove under the table.

That would be, "over the table," Driver. We shoved money at United in a deal to sublease their controlled gates. If Delta had wanted the gates so much, they were certainly allowed to offer to "shove" a larger amount of money at United in order to secure a lease instead of us. I guess they didn't want it that badly.

Say, aren't you a United guy? You're really gonna' sell Southwest something, take our money, and then bitch and whine about what happens next? That's pretty funny.

Bubba

Wait.....hang on. DAL we decided we don't want to compete against you. We took the gate and your SOL. Get over it and move on.

Wasn't one of the previous posts about irony?

No you moron, the problem is we have already sold tickets for NEW destinations that would require the new gates. Not like Delta that just wants to add more flights to Atlanturd. I think they are the ones who just shove money under the table, and it didn't work this time.

Delta, Southwest reach temporary agreement on gate space at Love Field

Delta Air Lines and Southwest Airlines reached a temporary agreement on Wednesday to allow Delta to continue operating flights out of Dallas Love Field as legal issues are resolved.
The agreement will be in place until a federal court in Dallas holds a hearing to decide whether or not the city of Dallas has to accommodate Delta?s request to keep access to gate space at Love Field even though Southwest Airlines holds the lease to those gates. Southwest was pressing for Delta to leave early next month.
?Delta is pleased that Southwest has agreed to continue accommodating the five flights Delta currently operates at Love Field while the airlines pursue a long-term resolution in the courts,? the Atlanta-based airline said in a statement.
Demand for gates at Love Field has become an issue since last fall?s expiration of the Wright Amendment, which had restricted flights to nearby states.
Currently, Delta offers five daily flights to Atlanta out of Love Field but its temporary agreement with Southwest to use gate space was set to expire on July 6. Southwest plans to expand its flight schedule to 180 daily flights out of Love Field by August and the Dallas-based carrier said it needs all 18 of the 20 gates it controls for the expanded service.
?I can confirm that we have an agreement in principle to temporarily extend Delta?s license agreement while we await the opportunity for the court to hear our arguments,? said Southwest spokesman Brad Hawkins in an e-mail statement.
The court had originally scheduled a hearing on Monday to hear emergency motions in the case, but that has now been canceled. A full hearing in the case, which was filed by the city of Dallas last week, has not been set.

Logical move on SWA's behalf, should DAL prevail in the suit and retain the gates - this mitigates the possibity of SW having to pay damages.

That would be, "over the table," Driver. We shoved money at United in a deal to sublease their controlled gates. If Delta had wanted the gates so much, they were certainly allowed to offer to "shove" a larger amount of money at United in order to secure a lease instead of us. I guess they didn't want it that badly.

Say, aren't you a United guy? You're really gonna' sell Southwest something, take our money, and then bitch and whine about what happens next? That's pretty funny.

Bubba

Hmmm. I seem to remember LUV getting gates taken away from the majors by DOT when the majors have been forced to 'divest' due to lack of competition. Why are you guys getting so upset about the possibility of being forced to divest at DAL? ... I guess all's good when you can grab gates at LGA and DCA from other airlines that didn't want to surrender them, but when the same thing happens at DAL, it's not fair? It appears that Delta's stolen a page from LUV's playbook ...

Hmmm. I seem to remember LUV getting gates taken away from the majors by DOT when the majors have been forced to 'divest' due to lack of competition. Why are you guys getting so upset about the possibility of being forced to divest at DAL? ... I guess all's good when you can grab gates at LGA and DCA from other airlines that didn't want to surrender them, but when the same thing happens at DAL, it's not fair? It appears that Delta's stolen a page from LUV's playbook ...

Actually Andy the problem is the whole Wright amendment. I don't think anyone would have a problem with Delta, United, American coming into Luv if it were not for the artificial limitations put on SW by the Wright agreement.

Remember before there was an agreement made to let love fly outside of Texas without stopping SW was going to each individual state and getting the law changed to allow SW to fly direct to that state. AA saw the writing on the wall and with the city of Dallas came to an agreement to remove the restrictions based on SW never flying international directly from Love and to limit SW to only 20 gates. This is after waiting 8 years to come to fruition. Now that SW put all the time and effort preparing for this Delta just wants to swoop in and take a gate that its lease was up and should not have?

Now on the other hand if Delta wants to challenge the Wright agreement to get more gates above the 20 that are there. They could do it since they were not part of the original agreement and there are no traffic or space limitations just artificial ones then I don't think anyone would object and I think even SW would support that call.

Remember before there was an agreement made to let love fly outside of Texas without stopping SW was going to each individual state and getting the law changed to allow SW to fly direct to that state. AA saw the writing on the wall and with the city of Dallas came to an agreement to remove the restrictions based on SW never flying international directly from Love and to limit SW to only 20 gates. This is after waiting 8 years to come to fruition. Now that SW put all the time and effort preparing for this Delta just wants to swoop in and take a gate that its lease was up and should not have?

American gets vilified for this, but the most disenfranchised party to the WA drama (and the one with the most pull placing restrictions on LOVE Field) is the City of Ft Worth. Not so distant, the legal claims Braniff made that it was completely wrong that they were forced to serve 2 cities with one airport [DFW].

I don't think FT Worth wants more than 20 gates at Love... SWA could move to DFW though. Lots of airlines poured $ into Love and then left, swa could do the same and do anything they want. What's wrong with that?;)

Last edited:

Actually, Andy, that's not quite what happened.

The gates (slots, really) that Southwest picked up in LGA and DCA were bought by Southwest either at auction, or directly from the other airlines in question. Some were marketed or auctioned by the other airlines as a condition of approval in merger; others on their own. Regardless, Southwest bought them from willing sellers.

Just like we paid for the subleases from United at Love. Delta was certainly allowed to make a superior offer for the gates if they wanted them; for their own reasons, they declined to.

Not the same thing at all.

Here's an idea--why don't all the airlines lobby to increase the number of allowable gates at Love? That way, any airline could do what they wanted there. Southwest wouldn't object, and everyone wins, right?

Well, everyone wins but Flopgut, whose head might explode. He seems more interested in simply hurting Southwest, than in actually helping anyone else, or promoting the industry in general.

Bubba

American gets vilified for this, but the most disenfranchised party to the WA drama (and the one with the most pull placing restrictions on LOVE Field) is the City of Ft Worth. Not so distant, the legal claims Braniff made that it was completely wrong that they were forced to serve 2 cities with one airport [DFW].

I don't think FT Worth wants more than 20 gates at Love... SWA could move to DFW though. Lots of airlines poured $ into Love and then left, swa could do the same and do anything they want. What's wrong with that?;)

Wrong again, Flop! You're a model of consistency; I'll give you that. :blush:

1. Ft Worth is hardly "disenfranchised" in any manner whatsoever. DFW is a huge economic generator for the region, overcrowded as it is. They "made out," in relation to the respective traffic at the two cities' original airports. The majority of local traffic at DFW comes from/to Dallas, so by sharing the revenue, the city of Ft Worth enjoys considerably more benefit, than if the two cities operated their own respective airports. Huge win for Ft Worth.

Besides, with the demise of the WA, if they wanted to operate their own airport in addition to DFW (i.e., their own "Love Field"), nobody would care or try to stop them. They just have no reason to do it, nor the traffic to justify it.

2. Braniff made no legal claims whatsoever that "it was wrong that they were forced to serve 2 cities with one airport." You just pulled that line of crap out of your a$$. Braniff was actually the driving airline force behind building DFW in the first place; they wanted it to support their growing operations. Also, they continued serving Love Field in addition, mainly to compete with Southwest, eventually leaving of their own accord. No one forced them to do anything, at any time, least of all confine operations to any particular airport.

The only legal action Braniff faced in regards to Dallas, was their initial frivolous lawsuit attempts to kill Southwest, and then their related criminal conviction for conspiracy (along with Texas International and your beloved Continental), in their later attempts of the same.

Bubba

Facts are facts. Swa lives with the result of the WA because the other side had a solid case. And it was not only American in opposition to SWA.

What we need is high speed rail between Love and Dfw. Wonder if SWA would be on board with that? Make them function like one airport. Would be good in Houston as well. Might be too far fetched, but anything that affords a level playing field is all anyone wants. Well, except swa

Latest resources

Back