Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I don't understand this type of landing.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nosehair said:
No, you are not wrong. We are talking a typical tricycle trainer. Nose high near stall landing attitude. If the tricycle had a tailwheel, the tailwheel would be touching down with the mains. This is the correct way to land a light airplane, and keep the nose up as long as possible.

Well that's kinda what I figured, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only person to think this.

nosehair said:
Avbug must be talking about King Airs or something.

The world may never know...

Skyline said:
A big jet is flown with power on until just before touchdown. It makes for a stable and safer approach. Big planes can't recover very easily from large sink rates or other abnormalities like fast approach speeds or slow speeds.

When you practice a soft field landing it is similar to methods used to land a big jet. Power on throughout the approach untill just before touch down. Most small plane pilots are taught to fly the pattern with lower power settings and some are at idle. That makes for a steeper approach. If you did that with a big plane you would make a big hole on the end of the runway because you wouldn't be able to recover from the high sink rate at the bottom. FedEx lost a 727 due to that very thing.

Adding power will raise the nose of the plane making for a flatter attitude on approach and the "nose high" look that you see big jets have on approach.

Such details were not evident to me, but no longer. Thanks for clearing it up.

mar said:
So, lots of lift required for approach speeds means high angle of attack on swept wing aircraft and the engines "should" be above idle in case of a go around.

I see what you're saying. So would it be correct to say that most jets/swept-wing aircraft fly much "flatter" approaches to land than does the typical 172???

I remember the last landing I did, about a week ago. I apparently lost too much altitude before reaching the runway, and ended up having to fly for quite a distance over the ground, almost level, with power on (obviously). When I was over the runway I cut the power. Even though I didn't intend to approach/land this way, it was without a doubt the shortest landing I ever made. I even got to take taxiway delta back to the ramp, never done it before. Is this basically how a swept-wing airplane lands all the time???

No, you are not wrong. We are talking a typical tricycle trainer. Nose high near stall landing attitude. If the tricycle had a tailwheel, the tailwheel would be touching down with the mains. This is the correct way to land a light airplane, and keep the nose up as long as possible. The nosewheel is a "Taxi-Gear" not a "Landing Gear".
Avbug must be talking about King Airs or something.

Unanswered lumped all aircraft into one, or at least, all light aircraft into one.

Conventional gear aircraft are landed both two point and three point, with two point being just as good as three, and often preferable. When two point, they're not landed nose up, but nose flat, often with forward pressure on the stick.

King Air's are landed just about like anything else with a nosewheel.

Three point landings, generally speaking, for nosewheel airplanes are destructive and poor airmanship.

UnAnswerd said:
I see what you're saying. So would it be correct to say that most jets/swept-wing aircraft fly much "flatter" approaches to land than does the typical 172???

I remember the last landing I did, about a week ago. I apparently lost too much altitude before reaching the runway, and ended up having to fly for quite a distance over the ground, almost level, with power on (obviously). When I was over the runway I cut the power. Even though I didn't intend to approach/land this way, it was without a doubt the shortest landing I ever made. I even got to take taxiway delta back to the ramp, never done it before. Is this basically how a swept-wing airplane lands all the time???
No. What you did is very unsafe, dragging it in with power. If your engine failed, you would end up in the grass. You must learn to recognize any adjustments your glidepath needs early enough that you can make adjustments so as to always be able to reach the runway at idle or no power.

jknight8907 said:
No. What you did is very unsafe, dragging it in with power. If your engine failed, you would end up in the grass. You must learn to recognize any adjustments your glidepath needs early enough that you can make adjustments so as to always be able to reach the runway at idle or no power.

Well I certainly didn't do it intentionally. Funny thing is, instructor claimed it was a good landing...:confused:

UnAnswerd said:
Well I certainly didn't do it intentionally. Funny thing is, instructor claimed it was a good landing...:confused:

then change instructor. if that was a good landing for him then he is probably milkin ya for money/time. has he not taught you how to use a VASI/PAPI??

Kream926 said:
has he not taught you how to use a VASI/PAPI??

Never heard of it.

Just kidding! But I thought those were only used at night??? Either way, I don't recall ever seeing the projection units on approach, in all my 20 hours.

UnAnswerd said:
Never heard of it.

Just kidding! But I thought those were only used at night??? Either way, I don't recall ever seeing the projection units on approach, in all my 20 hours.
Oh for crying outloud, enough people. Nobody is this much of a tool. Just ignore him.

UnAnswerd said:

It may have been a good landing, but it was a poor approach. They are two different things. And VASI/PAPI units are on all the time, and are used day and night. If you haven't seen them during the day then you are either color blind or fixating.

Latest resources

Back