Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I don't understand this type of landing.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
macfly said:
In the end she will thank you.
As part of her punishment, she should...she needs the discipline.

I'm not sure what I just read in this thread. I feel like I just had some of FN FAL's supply. I'm confused.

Only at flight info could a conversation go from 3 point landings to something about Caravan X-wind landings to drug references to sexual innuendo. The worst part is, the poor kid's question was never answered. Gotta love it.

first of all....avbug.....you still are my hero
second.....unanswered...you are a F**KING retard

please stop before you become a statistic

and i will guarantee he will make some fake quote of me saying something stupid of myself

again

UNANSWEred should win a DEE DEE DEE award

Flare

UnAnswered

Big airplanes are basically the same as a 150 except on a larger scale with greater weight and momentum.

A big jet is flown with power on until just before touchdown. It makes for a stable and safer approach. Big planes can't recover very easily from large sink rates or other abnormalities like fast approach speeds or slow speeds.

When you practice a soft field landing it is similar to methods used to land a big jet. Power on throughout the approach untill just before touch down. Most small plane pilots are taught to fly the pattern with lower power settings and some are at idle. That makes for a steeper approach. If you did that with a big plane you would make a big hole on the end of the runway because you wouldn't be able to recover from the high sink rate at the bottom. FedEx lost a 727 due to that very thing.

Adding power will raise the nose of the plane making for a flatter attitude on approach and the "nose high" look that you see big jets have on approach.

Skyline

UnAnswerd said:
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that if you took a conventional geared airplane, and a tricycle-geared airplane, and completely disregarded the configuration of the gear, both airplanes are landed basically the same way....in a nose-high attitude at a speed at or near stalling.

No, you are not wrong. We are talking a typical tricycle trainer. Nose high near stall landing attitude. If the tricycle had a tailwheel, the tailwheel would be touching down with the mains. This is the correct way to land a light airplane, and keep the nose up as long as possible. The nosewheel is a "Taxi-Gear" not a "Landing Gear".
Avbug must be talking about King Airs or something.

Skyline said:
Most small plane pilots are taught to fly the pattern with lower power settings and some are at idle. That makes for a steeper approach. If you did that with a big plane you would make a big hole on the end of the runway because you wouldn't be able to recover from the high sink rate at the bottom. FedEx lost a 727 due to that very thing.
That's news to us. Where did you hear about that?

The original question

UnAnswerd said:
I know enough about the three point landing, but if anyone could describe this other, special, apparently magical way to land a large jet, I would greatly appreciate it.

I got a little lost there, for a second, but I think this is the original question, no?

The magical way to land a large jet...you're going to be so disappointed when I tell you the secret because like most secrets it's compensating for a weakness....

Actually two weaknesses:

1) The swept wing is very inefficient at low airspeeds and therefore you need much higher angles of attack (compared to straight wing aircraft) to generate sufficient lift.

2) As you know, some turbine engines take a while to "spool up" from idle to "go around" thrust. Therefore, in the interest of safety, it's become a matter of procedure to have the engines spooled up before 500 or 1000 feet. If you didn't, and needed to go around, the power wouldn't be there fast enough.

So, lots of lift required for approach speeds means high angle of attack on swept wing aircraft and the engines "should" be above idle in case of a go around.

Flare, brake, clear the runway, go to the hotel. Repeat tomorrow.

HS125 said:
Because in a conventional gear (tail wheel) aircraft, you will sometiems do a wheel landing where you land on the mains first and then set the tail down. Most helpful in strong crosswinds and in conventional gear aircraft with limited forward visibility

Yes, but I wasn't talking about wheel landings. My post specifically referenced three point landings. Whether or not that term can really be applied in any way to an aircraft having a tricycle-gear setup, I don't know. But either way, it's pretty clear that Avbug will take into account every possible exception, every minute variation, and every irrelevant detail for the sake of arguing.

Latest resources

Back