Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Reply to Freight Dog

TXCAP4228 said:
1) So if an airline is failing to make money and it is the management's fault, are you saying that every single pilot has done everything possible to make the airline run as efficiently as possible? Come one. How many times have I readon this board when pilots exhort their union brothers to do something to make it hard on management. Sure, Wilbur.

You bet it is management's fault. Who runs the company? Who makes the decisions to fly that type of aircraft between that pair of cities? Who makes investment decisions in the company?

Bear in mind that the company HAS to agree to a contract before it becomes binding. What you see on pilot forums is rantings and ravings, and if you ever get to ride in the cockpit jumpseat of an airline, you'll hear the same thing. Bear in mind that most major airline pilots are either former military pilots or former regional airline pilots. We are not your uneducated crowd, although we can act like a bunch of crybabies, but we're not out to strangle the goose by demanding unreasonable.

2) As for records losses, when the economy turns down ALL INDUSTRIES take losses. I will agree that some airlines are using an outdated business model, but some airlines have managed to continue making money in spite of the economy of the last three years - and some have never laid off a pilot.

Yes, they do. With the statement that "some airlines are using an outdated business model" you just countered your own argument. Whose fault is that? Sure, SWA has continued to make money because of THEIR MANAGEMENT who designed their business model, and their employees who are unionized none the same. Let's hope they pay their employees what they're worth as well. Their flight attendants are way below industry standard and even if SWA paid them the industry standard, they would still continue to be profitable.

3) On forcing wage cuts, I will concede to you that the most recent example at American Airlines was pretty slimy but I don't think that it is appropriate to say that its the rule.

It's not a rule, it's criminal. On top of that, it wasn't only at American. Look at NWA, Delta, UAL, USAirways, Hawaiian... do some research, you'll be surprised at what you find out.

Overall the unions have done more harm than good. I can see how they begin, but once they exist they exist for the benefit of the already arrived and the most senior. I guess SWA's outstanding safety record is due to ALPA? Oh... wait a minute... ALPA doesn't represent them.... nevermind.

You're a pilot, right? Do you like how the taxiway and runway signs are laid out? What do you think about the latest improvements to LAHSO operations which will ultimately reduce airspace congestion? How about TCAS requirements for passenger airliners? Ahh... nevermind, those were some things that ALPA made happen that are enjoyed industry-wide. By the way, SWA pilots have an in-house union SWAPA which works closely with other pilot unions. Your arguments and lack of knowledge about ALPA, pilot unions, improvements in the national airspace system clearly shows your inexperience.

The businesses, the FAA, and passengers mandates will increase safety. My point is that you would be hard pressed to convince me that increases in safety have been due to unions and nothing else - thousands of things have lead to an increase in safety that run the gammut from regulatory to the insistance of the paying customers.

Do you know what people care about? I'm sure you do... you love those $99 fares, dontcha? Well guess what... you get a $99 product. Your average Joe has no clue what TCAS is, nor does he know the ergonomics of current aircraft designs, nor does he care to know what LAHSO means, nor does he care about airspace congestions, nor does he care about separation requirements and little things like that. On the other hand, the management wants to make $$$$. Obviously, you've never worked as a pilot, and you don't know how many operators without unions push their people to break regs in order to turn a buck. Ask some Part 135 pilots, ask some non-union freight dogs flying B727's about passengers and customers demanding safety. They don't give a rat's about any of that, they just want to get from point A to point B.

1) Pilot unions prevent you from being able to leave one job and walk into another based on qualification. Why? Because that may displace someone who has already been given a protected status that has nothing to do with their ability to fly an airplane, but instead has everything to do with "I was here first". I love the quote from Fate is the Hunter - this is close to verbatum: Seniority protects the weak, who are everywhere, and in the greatest numbers. If I had a copy of it at my desk I would give you the quote exactly.

Based on qualifications huh? How's this one strike you? You are a paying passenger, and your flight is captained by one of the girls on B190Captain's avatars with 1500 hours and bare legal minimums in the operations simply because she showed some skin to the chief pilot. Oh, and she's only been here for a month. The FO on the flight is this 6 year veteran flying that same equipment for the same company. Once again, shows your inexperience in how our industry works - from time building days to major airline cockpits.

2) Why should an airline not be allowed to choose the equipment that it puts on a certain route? If it makes money and satisfies the customers, why shouldn't they be able to do it? Do you see that your question proves my point??????? If a company sees benefit in using certain equipment, and its more profitable and satisfies the paying customers, what the hell is a union doing trying to dictate something else? You are proving my point that unions dictate terms to airlines (and for that matter all companies which are unionized) that are necessarily less profitable than other alternatives.

The airlines ARE the ones who decide what equipment is flown on certain routes. I presume you are talking about RJDC argument here, and let's hope the thread doesn't get hijacked, BUT... there is absolutely nothing preventing management on what kind of aircraft gets put on a route. The only restriction is WHO FLIES that aircraft. In Delta's case, 57 70-seaters can be flown by Connection pilots, if Delta wants to replace their entire narrowbody fleet with 70 seat CRJ's, that's their prerogative, but they'll have to be flown by Delta mainline pilots. It's called JOB PROTECTION.

To say that having seniority gives you a vested interest in the company flies (forgive the pun) in the face of reality. I am personally not in a union job, and am employed at will by my company. If, some day, they decide to fire me it is their perogative to do so. Now... do you suppose that makes me produce in a way that insures that I will not ever find myself in that position? Of course it does. The union job is extremely protected and lends itslef to the opposite effect.

Yes, you have a vested interest in the well-being of your airline. Unlike the management and their golden parachutes once they destroy an airline, we are "stuck" with our airline due to seniority. You make it sound that unionized employees are out to destroy the airline that employs them. Yet, you don't seem to understand the concept of seniority and how it correlates at employees' interests in the well-being of their airline. Once again, shows inexperience on your part...

Then you go on to say that if managements had a seniority system there would be no rape and pillage of major airlines..... you have completely lost me here. If management had a seniorty sytstem then Carty would have had a UNION CONTRACT that prevented the company from being able to fire him.

So what in the world are you talking about here? You've lost me. Maybe I don't have enough hours after all..... :)

I have thought about reading Flying the Line but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Back to you.

You seem to think that it is impossible to fire a unionized worker. Boy, are you wrong... once again, shows how little you know about the unions and how they work.

I simply implied that if management had something similar to seniority system, they would have the same interest in well-being of their airline as employees do. After all, they can punch out with nice golden parachute, yet we can't.

Required reading my friend.... Flying the Line I and II.

FlyDeltaJets

"Please give me an example when a union prevented an airline from choosing what equipment it flew on what route. I can think of none. My airline, for example, is free to operate as many airplanes as they want on whatever route they want. There are no restrictions on what equipment they may purchase or operate."

How about the Delta MEC's opposition to Comair flying greater than 57 70 seat RJ's, or any 90 seat RJ's whatsoever? Would that be a union attempt to restrict an airline from flying specific equipment?

Just curious.

Profit structure

jarhead said:
You also seem to imply that their is a "hidden" profit in the rental structure at an FBO.
This is an interesting part of the discussion. Which part of the profit is hidden?

I do not doubt for a minute that many organizations that employ flight instructors do anything and everything to hold down instructors' pay. Having said that, consider that every enterprise at an FBO is designed to generate revenue. Flight instruction is designed to generate revenue. Renting airplanes is designed to generate revenue. Selling fuel is designed to generate revenue. Et cetera. All of these are profit centers. Each must stand on its own feet to be successful.

E.g., an FBO might charge $35/hour for flight instruction, but the CFI only gets $15/per hour and wonders where in the he!! the rest of that goes. The answer is simple. It is spread among the non-billers, e.g., the receptionist, the boss' secretary, the cleaning service. And to insurance, workers' comp, space rental, airport use taxes. And finally to the boss.

Consider law offices. Attorneys and paralegals in many offices bill hourly for their time. In my last office I was billed out at $95 per hour (which was absurd; paralegals in other offices in the same speciality in which I worked and with the same experience were billed at $65 - $75, but I digress). I was on salary and my cut of that worked out to $14 per hour. The boss always told us that we billers were supporting the "staff," i.e. the receptionist and secretaries, who were depending on us for their livelihoods. That was melodramatic, but our boss was melodramatic. But you see the point. Paralegals in our office were profit centers big time.

I do not believe that there is an overt conspiracy to hold down instructors' pay. To wit: there are a number of instructor jobs that pay good salaries and offer good benies. You just have to understand where the rest of the $35 per hour lands.

Last edited:
an anecdote to Bobbysamd

Good point.

At the end of June, I will be hauling a boat with a very large gas tank in it, up to a resort on a large lake, for a week of fishing and relaxation. It will be my 7th consecutive year at this resort. I am aware, due to experience, that the price the resort charges on its 87 octane gasoline, is about 75 cents a gallon higher than what the local Amaco station charges me. Knowing this, I always fill up as I am on the highway, pulling my boat up there. Its saves me a lot of $$$, and the tank usually comes close to lasting me for a week of fishing (it's a 40 gallon tank) Should I start running low, I do not fill it up at the marina at the resort.....I just add a few gallons to last me for the last day or two. I understand the the resort has gas as one of its profit centers. I also know, that the same gas on the highway, becomes in a perverted sort of way, a profit center for me! The resort counts on people running out of gas, and counts on people buying fuel at an inflated price, vs the inconvenience of pulling the boat out of the water, and trailering it into town 10 miles away to gas up. This is the free market at work. If the resort starts to charge too much for 87 octane, they will lose business at that pump (they already lost mine) The same rules apply in most free markets, be they a CFI, a hamburger, or gas at a marina.

Exactly...

And if the CFI wants to keep all that $35/hr for themselves, they are welcome to do so...

All they have to do is find their own students, provide for their own training materials, facilities, etc. They need insurance, a phone, etc.

It is doable and you can make more doing that than working for an FBO, but there is at least some additional work beyond what most FBOs require of their CFIs.

Most independant CFIs that I know have been doing this for at least two years, enjoy it, and have their own base of students and refered students from past students. Many can charge more than the FBO does and they keep it all, because they have built up a reputation as being good at what they do.

Jason

Re: FlyDeltaJets

jarhead said:
"Please give me an example when a union prevented an airline from choosing what equipment it flew on what route. I can think of none. My airline, for example, is free to operate as many airplanes as they want on whatever route they want. There are no restrictions on what equipment they may purchase or operate."

How about the Delta MEC's opposition to Comair flying greater than 57 70 seat RJ's, or any 90 seat RJ's whatsoever? Would that be a union attempt to restrict an airline from flying specific equipment?

Just curious.

Jar,

Delta (who owns cmr) is free to operate as many rjs as they want. The fact that they are restricted from transferring them to lower paid pilots is not a prevention of thier use. For more info, please refer to the numerous rjdc threads. The only reason I mentioned it on this thread was to correct a common misconception.

FlyDeltaJets

I have read for over a year, the debate on the RJDC. That is an unending conundrum of opposing viewpoints, to which only history will be the final arbitrator as to what the "truth" is about that topic. I suspect a lot of it has to do with ideology.

That said, I would like to return to the point of my question, to wit your quote; "Please give me an example when a union prevented an airline from choosing what equipment it flew on what route. I can think of none. My airline, for example, is free to operate as many airplanes as they want on whatever route they want. There are no restrictions on what equipment they may purchase or operate."

Question number one: Is Comair an airline?

I know Delta is an airline, and that airline bought Comair outright a few years ago. Yet the two entities (CMR & DAL) have separate pilot union MEC's, and separate contracts with their pilot groups, and separate Presidents, ramp agents, csd, et al. That said, If the Parent (DAL) wants to put specific RJ's in service to generate revenue, is it not the Union representing DAL pilots not restricting the Company, from placing those aircraft in service at another airline (which it owns), to its betterment of generating revenue. I am not debating the right or wrong of it, only the veracity of your quote where you state that a union does not restrict what equipment an airline may fly on any particular route.

The RJDC situation will be resolved in the courts, not on these boards, one way or another. That is internal politics between two warring MEC's (IMHO)

Yes. cmr is an airline.

Yes, our mec is preventing Delta from operating rjs at other airlines. Please do not interpret that to mean we are preventing Delta from operating rjs. We are not. Delta is free to buy and operate as many as they like. If they wanted 10,000 rjs, they are perfectly free to get them. They are not, however, free to transfer all of our flying to lower paid pilots in the process.

Delta, however, if free to fly C-152's, A-380's, and everything in between. We have never attempted to negotiated language which would prevent them from buying and operating anything they wanted in an attempt to maximize revenue.

So, the short answer to your question is that the parent (Delta) is 100% free to operate any type of rj they want for the betterment of generating revenue.

Are they free to outsource all of our flying? No. Nor should they be.

It is important to recognize that there is a difference.

One Question?

Has anyone ever done a poll on how many of these threads end up with 121 guys arguing about MEC, ALPA, RJs, IMHOs, my planes bigger than yours and etc...Come on, you've tainted the regional forum already lets not currupt this one too.

see ya:)
Squirreldog

To FDJ

Thank you for your answer to the original question I posed in response to your post.

To SquirrelDog:

I agree with you! This thread was started by wifeofpilot on the subject of pilot pay. Lets not let it degenerate into yet another RJDC thread and debate. Also, let's not let it degenerate into yet another poll [tic]

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back