• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wifeofpilot

I am the wife of a major airline pilot who was furloughed while
in initial training. I have watched and supported him through
flight instructing, charter jobs, commuter job. I was thrilled
for him when he landed his dream job at the majors. Finally
all his time and effort would pay off! Well sad to say he's back
to making $19,000 a year flying a regional jet...Something he was allowed to do without resigning seniority.

My question is... HOW AND WHY did $19,000 ever get passed as an acceptable, liveable salary FOR A PILOT ? Where did this happen, what years and what was the environment that everyone didn't REVOLT and say THIS IS RIDICULOUS! EVEN TAKE IT TO THE MEDIA, YOUR CONGRESSMAN, A LABOR LAW ATTORNEY, THE FEDERAL LABOR DEPARTMENT? ANYBODY ????

My next question is WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT? There has to be something someone can do to get you guys a more liveable wage? I'm not even talking big money, I mean $35,000.
I can tell you that no one, NO ONE, believes me when I tell them what a F.O. makes flying a regional jet with a big name logo on it.
I don't know ANYONE who makes that low of pay in a full time job!

First of all, the skill and pay you guys put out for training and schooling. Now the security and terrorism threats looming over you. It's a complete insult.

With little hiring, many of you are facing F.O. positions for a long time to come. What can be done?

I am a member of a union at my full-time job (Non airline) and I can tell you the one advantage is great wages.

I urge you to become active in your cause! Speak out and demand better pay! THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DEMANDING A LIVEABLE WAGE. I guarantee you NO ONE WOULD DISAGREE WITH YOU! YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED AT THE SUPPORT YOU GET!

A supportive wife!

The short version is: Pilots get taken advantage of because we love to fly. That's what it all boils down to.

Sorry for what your family is going through.:( :mad:

"YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED AT THE SUPPORT YOU GET!"

You might be surprised how few people care how much an airline pilot makes. Not including, of course, our spouses, families, anyone to whom we owe money...etc. You get the point.

Bottom line: It doesn't matter what you are worth. All that matters is what you can negotiate.

THAT'S MY POINT! I can't believe that a group of highly skilled
intelligent pilots wouldn't negotiate better wages! It's your life,
your skill, your passion! What if you said NO.... $19,000 is not acceptable.. Don't you think A LOT OF PEOPLE WOULD AGREE WITH THAT?

wifeofpilot said:

My question is... HOW AND WHY did $19,000 ever get passed as an acceptable, liveable salary FOR A PILOT ?

My next question is WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT?

Answer to question one: Because there are literally thousands of pilots who apparently view $19,000 as an acceptable salary, given the long line of those waiting to grab one at the first opportunity.

Answer to question two: Nothing. Nothing at all. Why not? See the answer to question one.

wifeofpilot said:

What if you said NO.... $19,000 is not acceptable.. Don't you think A LOT OF PEOPLE WOULD AGREE WITH THAT?

Not nearly enough. Obviously, if enough people agreed with that, then there would be no $19,000 salaries. It would be whatever the market would bear. Currently, the market has no trouble at all attracting hoards of pilots salivating for a chance to fly one of those really cool regional jets for $19,000.

It's ashame you guys don't think a situation could change for the better. Maybe that kind of attitude has left your wages in the toilet.

You also would be surprised to know that I bet a lot of people
would care that their pilot makes less than their flight attendant and rampy.

Latest resources

Back