• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I can't flight instruct

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And to the original poster. Go to ATP, you'll learn more as an instructor than as a student anyways. You'll be logging tons of multi time, and if you instruct on the ATP side of the operation, you'll learn alot from your students. Plus the pay is good compared to anything else you qualify for.

dcramer16 said:
Like I said, it has nothing to do with me being all high and mighty to be a "lowly" flight instructor. I would love to be a flight instructor to build hours, but only if I feel confident in being a good teacher. I know my stuff, I just have a hard time explaining it. To be a good teacher you have to be good at teaching, I am not a good teacher. That is why I am looking for an alternative. I can get a job as an instructor, but I would feel awful being an instructor that is only there to build hours. I know of a couple instructors that suck at being teachers but do it anyways just to get the hours. I don't want to do that because it isn't fair to the students.

Nobody thinks their going to be a good instructor....mainly because when you finish your CFI you still really don't know anything about teaching. And for the first 10 or 20 hours you will feel like yo don't know what the he11 your doing. If you want to be a good teacher...then you will be. It just takes a little time to learn your craft. Ask the more senior guys for tips and tricks they use and before you know it you'll have 7 different ways to teach the same thing. Just relax and have fun with it.

You'll be fine as an instructor, and all of the previous posts are right on. You start out with a little bag of tricks, and after a year or two you'll have 3 or 4 bags full. Taught for 4 1/2 years and don't regret any of it; you will be a better pilot for all of it.

Interesting correlation: When you finally make the left seat of that coveted airliner, you'll be able to tell which of your FO's worked as instructors, and which didn't.

Those who didn't teach don't take criticism very well, constructive or otherwise.

Peace.

Rekks

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back