Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I’m confused I thought the PNCL TA was industry leading?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This has become known as "block or better" in the industry, which we have.

"Block or better" in the industry is a contraction from "scheduled block or actual block, whichever is better". What we have is "averaged actual block or actual block, whichever is better". Scheduled block is generally higher than average actual block because the airlines like to build in a buffer so that they stay on time. A few carriers use this averaging system or something similar but its not as lucrative as systems that compare the actual schedule with actual block. Maybe next time we improve on this.

True usually it is a couple minutes less than actual block. Occasionally it works in our favor and is actually paying over block from the start. Overall it's really not much of a difference. I would say our leg by leg guarantee is a much bigger improvement than switching to a true block or better. Now we won't have scheduling pull our middle turn on the last day just to bring us back down to trip guarantee. Good for the lineholder that doesn't have 3 hours overtime stolen from them, good for the reserve that now isn't called in to fly that turn for no reason other than to take money away from a fellow pilot.

True usually it is a couple minutes less than actual block. Occasionally it works in our favor and is actually paying over block from the start. Overall it's really not much of a difference.
Before making blanket statements, I would check with the JFK pilots how trip value or better is working out for them. Their scheduled block times are usually padded with 30 minutes+.

Now we won't have scheduling pull our middle turn on the last day just to bring us back down to trip guarantee. Good for the lineholder that doesn't have 3 hours overtime stolen from them, good for the reserve that now isn't called in to fly that turn for no reason other than to take money away from a fellow pilot.
Have you seen our schedules lately? Getting back to guarantee is something that doesn't happen at 9E. They would never burn a reserve to cover "too much flying" of a line holder. Besides, all the reserves are covering open time.

Rationalize if you will, but anything that takes money out of the pockets of pilots is not a good thing.

Last edited:
That was a Mesaba perspective... Much like many other sections of the contract some of the Pinnacle guys have had issues with because of the different cultures and enforcements of the contract, this is a similar situation. For my experiences at Mesaba, it's largely a wash.

Having said it is average, I can back up my claim by saying about half the regionals still have better contracts.

way to not lower the bar. but it wasn't raised either.

The bar has been, diluted.

I remember when the XJT 2004 contract came out...Neal Schwartz was on this board explaining that while XJT's payrates were not the highest in the industry, XJT pilots would have the highest W2s in the industry - even higher than Comair - due to work rules.

Part of that workrules thing was based on profit sharing. XJT was operating at a cost + 10% at the time. Profit? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I truly do wish the best for ASA and XJT. Its your turn up at bat. Go get-em.

SKW didn't do us any favors recently. Wishing for the best on the JCBA, but preparing for the worst.

That was a Mesaba perspective... Much like many other sections of the contract some of the Pinnacle guys have had issues with because of the different cultures and enforcements of the contract, this is a similar situation. For my experiences at Mesaba, it's largely a wash.

I wouldn't call it a 'Mesaba perspective', it is and old NWA perspective. NWA had the three most reliable hubs in the inductry, and their marketing times reflected that. As more of your business moves to NY and ATL (it will) you will discover the pain of working in a marketing system that melts down by nine most mornings.

I wouldn't call it a 'Mesaba perspective', it is and old NWA perspective. NWA had the three most reliable hubs in the inductry, and their marketing times reflected that. As more of your business moves to NY and ATL (it will) you will discover the pain of working in a marketing system that melts down by nine most mornings.
I would call it a Mesaba perspective, XJs performance numbers would agree. We've been flying to NY and ATL for years with no difference in operations than any other city.

Hopefully, this is one of those items that is fixed with the merger.

Latest resources

Back