Hypothetical question for ASA pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No.W. said:
That kind of rhetoric gets us no where, fins.

..... you don't have to remind us with that kind of "FU" rhetoric.

N
It isn't rhetoric. If you were to bump ASA's 6 and 7 year employees down to the status of SkyWest's 24 month employees I know that most simply would not show up for work the next day. Most of ASA's 6 year employees already have contingency plans, or another job, lined up. For us, walking away from the left seat, a schedule and 6 years is difficult. Walking away from a loss of more than half your years of service is easy, in fact it is a sign of intelligence. For people like me, who spent 36 months on reserve, that was hard time and I will never walk away from that time in service, nor should anyone have to.

Argueably - ASA, SkyWest and Comair already act as operationally integrated carriers - at least to the extent that Delta maintains operational control over where we fly, what and when. So you guys are saying that DOH does not make sense when your filling up your airplane at our gate and vice versa?

Mergers are not about windfalls. Read up on some mergers:

Republic - Hughes Airwest
Northwest - Republic
Alaska - Jet America
Seaboard - Flying Tigers
Federal Express - Flying Tigers
Braniff - Panagra
Allegheny - Lake Central
Allegheny - Mohawk
US Airways - Shuttle

Find me a single merger where the G.O. decided seniority integration issues. That is not how the process works.

Read up on what Arbitrators like Richard Bloch and George Nicolau have written in reaching their decisions. Date of Hire is the most relevant fact.

ALPA has more time negotiating in front of Federal Arbitrators than most of us have total flight time. If you think that an ad hoc merger committee is going to succeed in stripping an ALPA unit of 80% of its seniority, it isn't going to happen.

We need to merge to avoid whipsaw and threats of "replacement." But, put up a 40 year fence if you want. I don't want your airplanes, or your flying. But candidly I'm offended at some of the junior SkyWest guys who think that they can pillage the life raft that SkyWest just bought.

Ironically, Fins is holding up his can of "no shark" and ready to repel all boarders.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
Well yippiddity doo. You and your 9 months, which came at the expense of ASA's growth in our DFW hub, isn't going to water many eyes at ASA. Very candidly you are not even off your probationary year and you want to jump ahead of a couple hundred pilots at ASA - lots of luck.

hmm, and your growth at ASA did not come at the expense of Delta pilots at the DFW and ATL hubs?

michael707767 said:
hmm, and your growth at ASA did not come at the expense of Delta pilots at the DFW and ATL hubs?
Some probably did. Why did the Delta pilots vote for it? Why didn't they put all the flying on one list?

If I were a Delta pilot, I would have stapled the ASA / Comair guys and built a fence to keep them at their current cost structure. All three MECs would have agreed and the NMB would have stamped it. Delta would have been able to build a rational fleet plan instead of being forced by mainline scope to buy a bunch of 50 seat jets. 70 seaters pull 40% more revenue with around 15% more costs.

Delta still needs the rational fleet plan and will get it by running right through your swiss cheese scope section, in bankruptcy, or with the agreement of the Delta pilots (the DAL pilot group ratified the other changes, probably will these too.)

Certainly I'm not gloating. My buddies got slam dunked at the 2000 ALPA Board of Director's meeting by the Delta MEC. Ironically, had we gotten what we wanted, there would be at least another 4,000 Delta pilots, no one would have been furloughed and Delta would have the right airplane in its' fleet. I wish we had a healthy mainline - like a rising tide raises all boats.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
Some probably did. Why did the Delta pilots vote for it? Why didn't they put all the flying on one list?

Because you are a COMMUTER PILOT and they are a MAJOR AIRLINE PILOT!

~~~^~~~ said:
If I were a Delta pilot, I would have stapled the ASA / Comair guys and built a fence to keep them at their current cost structure. All three MECs would have agreed and the NMB would have stamped it. Delta would have been able to build a rational fleet plan instead of being forced by mainline scope to buy a bunch of 50 seat jets. 70 seaters pull 40% more revenue with around 15% more costs.

Oh yeah, and the MECs of CMR and ASA would have accepted a staple. You are dreaming.

Incedently, what makes you think we still would not have had scope problems had ASA and CMR been stapled to DALs list? That does not change scope. Delta would have still been allowed to outsource flying to Skywest, for example. I don't think there is anything we could have given up to get Delta to change the scope to say all flying done by the pilots of the combined DAL/ASA/CMR list.

The 50 seater is a dog. It will be replaced by 70 seaters. I have no doubt the number of 70 seaters is going to go up.

Last edited:
410dude said:
Because you are a COMMUTER PILOT and they are a MAJOR AIRLINE PILOT!
Ok, how do you define COMMUTER and MAJOR AIRLINE PILOTS? Where is the line?
  1. E120
  2. CRJ200
  3. ATR72
  4. CRJ700
  5. E170
  6. E190
  7. B717
  8. B737
  9. Narrowbody
  10. Heavy
Does the line stay in one place, or does it move around based on someone's opinion? If so, who's opinion?

I thought we were flying the same passengers with the same brand and tickets under the same operational control. Its a phony distinction which serves no purpose than to lower our profession.

If you ever wonder why Commuter Pilots replace Mainline Pilots it is because Mainline Pilots define a lower class of pilot, then agree to deals to outsource flying to them.

~~~^~~~ said:
Ok, how do you define COMMUTER and MAJOR AIRLINE PILOTS? Where is the line?
  1. E120
  2. CRJ200
  3. ATR72
  4. CRJ700
  5. E170
  6. E190
  7. B717
  8. B737
  9. Narrowbody
  10. Heavy
Does the line stay in one place, or does it move around based on someone's opinion? If so, who's opinion?

I thought we were flying the same passengers with the same brand and tickets under the same operational control. Its a phony distinction which serves no purpose than to lower our profession.

If you ever wonder why Commuter Pilots replace Mainline Pilots it is because Mainline Pilots define a lower class of pilot, then agree to deals to outsource flying to them.

It's because commuter pilots undercut and backstab mainline pilots due to commuter pilots having SJS.

michael707767 said:

Big difference. ASA's growth was a result of DAL scope that allowed that growth. You voted for a contract that allowed it, so don't complain about the results. On the other hand, ASA pilots and their CBA does not have any control over the DL code, so they had no choice in losing flying to SKYW.

Hey Fins,
I guess I didn't make myself clear, I am not looking for windfall, I am only looking to maintain my QOL at its current level. That includes the same general upgrade time, the same general schedule quality, etc. I am currently SLC based, as there are a few ASA pilots also based in SLC, I am not sure any kind of fence would work to help me maintain my schedule where its at right now...this is the primary reason I have chosen to bypass upgrade and enjoy a little relative seniority as an FO. I want that to continue to be a viable choice. I see pure DOH as a downer for me. Fences may work, I haven't seen any concrete proposals yet, so you gotta humor me on that one. I am sensitive to the "FU" rhetoric right now, not just from you, so I didn't mean to single you out. I am just getting tired of it. It can be assumed we are all frustrated. It can also be assumed that we all know a merger is NEVER a pleasant thing. My point is, let's end the rhetoric and talking down to each-other, and do something PRODUCTIVE; Like get off these freaking boards:)

As far as your guys walking away if they get screwed in this process, you're right, that would be valid. I don't think you guys are going to get screwed that bad, though. I expect some aspect of my life will be set-back, you should expect the same. I have already experienced one furlough, it cost me lots of money and was a very stressful time. I'm geared up for more. You CAN'T fault me, however, for WANTING to maintain my QOL. I would be offended if you did:). I've put in some time here as well, and paid some dues as well. We all have our stories. We all chose this industry. I have set my expectations accordingly. I'll repeat it again, status quo for QOL. That is my simple expectation/desire.
N

Last edited:
PCL_128 said:
Big difference. ASA's growth was a result of DAL scope that allowed that growth. You voted for a contract that allowed it, so don't complain about the results. On the other hand, ASA pilots and their CBA does not have any control over the DL code, so they had no choice in losing flying to SKYW.

did I complain? No, I fully realize we did it to ourselves. But, you guys have to realize that when you go to work for a company who's sole purpose is to provide a service for another company, you will never have control over your destiny.

Latest resources

Back