Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SSDD said:
Viper,

Actually there are quite a few Skywest pilots who favor DOH. Maybe not among the recently hired, but there are a lot. It seems like you have your carreer at SKW all mapped out, but a reality check might be in order. Everyone is going to have to give a little. Another thing to keep in mind is that Skywest Airlines did not buy ASA, Skywest INC. the holding company did. A small but extremely important difference.

Also what's floating around the crew lounges and what SGU has in mind are completely different scenarios.

Take care.

Pretty much everyone on the SAPA website and the captains I fly with think percentile is the way to go. I know everyone will have to give a little. Personally, I'd like to keep the groups seperate until necessary. When integration becomes necessary, what I think is fair is percentile with either 2 year fences or drop the fences for 50 ASA pilots/month. I'm not looking for a windfall, but on the other hand, I don't think I should lose senority either.

Texx said:
The MIL pilots here have learned the hard way.

What happens if you tell them you can't work one of your days off because you have MIL duty? How can they deduct time from your paycheck if you're unavailable for JR man? Is that for lineholders as well as reserve?

I usually re-schedule my reserve days to my days off so I don't have to miss any of my trips.

viper548 said:
I believe a percentile integration would be fair to all pilots. DOH would favor ASA because SkyWest has had a very recent hiring boom. I have 400 below me, and I've been at SkyWest for 9 months. I figure I'm at about the 81st percentile. I don't think ASA has hired as much recently, so it would be a greater proportion of ASA pilots going in front of me instead of behind me. What I care the most about is getting the base I want as an FO, upgrade time and getting the base I want as a Capt. Fences help there, but they wouldn't stay up forever.

I don't know anyone at SKW that favors DOH.

There have been pilots at ASA that have been employed for 2-2.5 years that would be about the 75-80th percentile. It would sure suck for them to be junior to guys still on probation.

A percentage integration, while good for SkyWest, would unfairly punish FOs due to the fact that ASA hired only one class for about 15 months in 2003-early 2004. It would also punish relatively new FOs that should have a lot more under them, but don't due to people no-showing class and leaving after being here just a few months.

I am completely for a fence system. While I would enjoy relocating to one of the SKYW bases, I do not believe I am entitled to it nor should I displace a SKYW pilot in any way. Even after the fences go down there still probably should be some sort of favoritism to a SKYW pilot for a UA base, unless ASA starts flying for UA too. I can't imagine any SKYW pilot actually wants ATL, so I'm sorry we don't have much to offer in that regard.

That being said, a percentage-based integration would hurt the current captains at ASA very little, as they would keep their seat in any integration, so I fully expect DOH to not happen based on that fact. Yes, a DOH integration would be best, but a percentage integration would appease the captain side enough I believe.

viper548 said:
I believe a percentile integration would be fair to all pilots. DOH would favor ASA because SkyWest has had a very recent hiring boom. I have 400 below me, and I've been at SkyWest for 9 months.

I don't know anyone at SKW that favors DOH.

Well yippiddity doo. You and your 9 months, which came at the expense of ASA's growth in our DFW hub, isn't going to water many eyes at ASA. Very candidly you are not even off your probationary year and you want to jump ahead of a couple hundred pilots at ASA - lots of luck.

Career expectations are the same, if not better at ASA. We had more 70 seaters and the strategically important hub that SkyWest wanted to ensure its survival. Your hope for a windfall as a result of a happy accident will not happen. The process is designed so that windfalls don't happen.

You might as well get back in line scooter.

Last edited:
SSDD said:
Viper,

Actually there are quite a few Skywest pilots who favor DOH.

Take care.
Yep - Skywest has been around longer. So be it.

~~~^~~~ said:
Well yippiddity doo. You and your 9 months, which came at the expense of ASA's growth in our DFW hub, isn't going to water many eyes at ASA. Very candidly you are not even off your probationary year and you want to jump ahead of a couple hundred pilots at ASA - lots of luck.

Career expectations are the same, if not better at ASA. We had more 70 seaters and the strategically important hub that SkyWest wanted to ensure its survival. Your hope for a windfall as a result of a happy accident will not happen. The process is designed so that windfalls don't happen.

You might as well get back in line scooter.

Our recent growth is attributed to UAL flying. Career expetctations at ASA may be better for DL flying, but certainly not for UA flying. I fly the UA system about 80% of the time. I'm not looking to JUMP in front of a couple hundered pilots at ASA. I'm hoping to not be on reserve again.
ASA has done a bit of hiring recently too. I don't think I would be negatively affected by DOH integration, but a lot of our JR captains would.

Last edited:
Like people have said before, we can all come up with what we think is fair, but when it comes down to it we will do what somebody in the G.O. tells us to. I hate that but I fear that it will happen that way. It is out of our hands.

viper548 said:
Our recent growth is attributed to UAL flying. Career expetctations at ASA may be better for DL flying, but certainly not for UA flying. I fly the UA system about 80% of the time. I'm not looking to JUMP in front of a couple hundered pilots at ASA. I'm hoping to not be on reserve again.
ASA has done a bit of hiring recently too. I don't think I would be negatively affected by DOH integration, but a lot of our JR captains would.

There was plenty of SKYW growth over the past year or 2 at DFW.

Some of us were actually here to see it.

And wasnt there some growth for ASA in SLC? SKYW is no longer in DFW, but ASA is still in SLC...Who got more growth in the end?

homerjdispatch said:
And wasnt there some growth for ASA in SLC? SKYW is no longer in DFW, but ASA is still in SLC...Who got more growth in the end?

Since you seem to sit behind a desk, ASA didn't expand into SLC, they relocated part, a very small part, of their opertaion to SLC.

Latest resources

Back