• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How's the Jet Blue Luge Driver Doing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I can see both points of view here. Before everyone condemns UAL78, I for one am very thankful for all of the advice he gave during the late 90s and into 2000.
UAL78 saw her getting special treatment due to her being on the Olympic luge team (and it's luge, not bobsled, FWIW). She chose to leave of her own accord when times got REALLY tough at UAL, and UAL78 likely views that as a betrayal after the special treatment that she received. I can understand that feeling, and I hope that most others can feel that way when someone leaves an organization where they were treated special. When I left the Air Force, those of us that chose to leave were considered ingrates and traitors by some who stayed, especially the higher up brass.
I personally felt that ACA betrayed UAL when they asked for concessions and ACA refused. I had already been furloughed, and felt that everyone needed to lend a hand to get UAL out of the deep problems that UAL faced. I'm getting over that anger, but it's taken a while.

I can also understand LD's (not her real initials) choice of leaving UAL. Times were very bad and it was looking like liquidation would happen at any time. It was a miserable place to work (I don't think that's improved much over time). JetBlue is not a miserable place to work and the comeraderie that exists there is great; I wish that UAL could get to that point.
I do not think that she's trying to come back to UAL; that seems unlikely.

For me personally, I'm happy that she left. It meant one less furloughed pilot on the street which means that I'll be recalled just a little bit faster. I also hope that all of the bypasses above me decide to not return to UAL. It's all about where you are on the seniority list.
UAL78, if this helps ease the anger, remember that she left when there were many downgrades going on. She spared someone junior to her in that fleet/seat/domicile from being downgrade. In the end, her decision to depart UAL saved UAL a few dollars when we needed it most.

In closing, let us not forget that we all feel the same way as UAL78 about a person/organization/situation. He chose to openly ask the question, which is probably cathartic for him. Better to let it out than keep it bottled up inside.
And UAL78 has done a lot of great work here for a very long time. Let's not fire up a lynch mob because we find a single post in poor taste. If that were the case, there are a few posters here who should have been hunted down and shot, since just about all of their posts are in poor taste.

Yeah, but was/is she HOT?

and felt that everyone needed to lend a hand to get UAL out of the deep problems that UAL faced

I Think ACA needed to make the best decision for themselves. I'm not saying they did, just that UAL problems were UAL problems not ACA's.

Last edited:
Dennis MillerQuote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoeingJets
I think it is the duty of every American company to support the Olympics. Kinda like supporting reservists.

And in turn you should support the company that supports you, but unfortunately some people choose to play the system against their company, just like some dishonorable reservists do.

DM... you sir are a tremendous slouch... honor is not a word that is in your vocablulary or a word that I will ever use to describe you...

Tailhookah
Honorable Reservist
War Veteran

tailhookah said:
DM... you sir are a tremendous slouch... honor is not a word that is in your vocablulary or a word that I will ever use to describe you...

Tailhookah
Honorable Reservist
War Veteran

Unfortunately, DM is correct. There are a few guardsmen/reservists that abuse the system. I wasn't one of them, but saw some abuse of the system.

AlbieF15 said:
Geez--why don't you come out and call her a slut who slept around in college while you are at it...this is sophmoric. ...as was a thread last fall regarding a different female pilot.

No--she never wanted to come back. Glad to know that you are an authority on this. Now we can put this one to rest.

Connections? A certain senior VP for one. When faced with the life altering decision of leaving the arguably premium passenger airline in the world, she wanted to know if this company had a chance. She did her homework, found out the name of one of the major financeers of the operation, and asked about the chances of the this new start up. I like that kind of moxie. Her work with WIA (yawn) exposed her to lots of company folks at JB, but as far as having "pull?" I'll let her decide if she wants to refute that, but let's just say there are no automatic ways to get on the team at Jetblue.

She was success at United. Some quotes from Albie's first post on this thread:
"I don't know about Luge Driver's act at United,..."
"Again--I wasn't at UAL, don't know the history,..."
"Again--wasn't there..."
How do you know she was a success at United, but don't know about her "act", weren't there, and don't know the history?

She was a success at the Olympics. I'll give you that one as anyone who makes the Olympics should be considered a success.

She was a success as a TV commentor. Really? You mean at channel 7?

She seems to be a success at JB. In whose eyes?

Why does that inspire such anger? In you or others?

Loyalty to United? That company just ripped the pensions out from under a ton of folks...including me.... I fly with 2 f-lo'd United guys in my squadron who may be out a job for years. ...so help them get on at FDX...they are part of the good ol' boys club, right? At least United rescinded their travel passes last December. True, but the F'd UAL pilots had them much longer than the TWA folks who got f'd from AA. UAL 78 is a genteman and an avid supporter of his airline, and I think that is great. However, I would think you guys would rejoice at someone leaving, creating more opportunties for those who really want to stay. Most folks at JB still have the esprit that once characterized other carriers, but for some reason that really irritates a lot of folks on this board. Picking one of their crew force out and publically attacking them seems to be a way for some folks to deal with their sour grapes.

Back in September you agreed with another poster (FlyingFarmer) that I should essentially lighten up because of my anger and distaste of a thread about a friend of mine. Now, the foot seems to be on the other hand (thank you Ted Striker!) and you are upset that your friend (apparently) is being bashed on this board.

Which way do you want it? Free-bashing, or free-basing?

GP

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back