Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
I don't know what the dispute is.

Holding out in regard to common carriage? Can't do it.

Holding out in regard to providing pilot services? Thats fine and legal, despite what the Riddle packet says.

Bingo. It's that simple.

AC560 said:
Noncommon carriage means an aircraft operation for compensation or hire that does not involve a holding out to others.

You can't advertise an aircraft operation (domestic, charter, cargo, etc.) you can advertise your services. Look the Sunday paper and there are plenty of ad's for CFI's advertising their services.

Yep, another one who gets it.

mcjohn said:
Also, where did this "holding out" phrase originate from? Where is it printed in an FAA document?

As mentined, you'll find it in part 119 and AC120-12A

In both cases it is used to establish whether carriage for hire is common carriage or private carriage. It has nothing to do at all with pilot service.

When I finally got regional minimums (about 7 years ago), I sent out about 30-40 resumes. I'm sure the FAA would consider that 'holding out'. I then got a job flying Jetstreams and CRJs. All of that with an COMM MEL. I'd better get all that illegal time out of my logbook. Does anybody know how I can build 3-4000 hours of multi, turbine without holding out? Oops, did I just 'hold out' again??

The confusion, it seems to me, is between pilot and operator. A pilot can offer any service he likes as long as he doesn't do so as an operator(ie provide transportation(airplane & pilot)). Otherwise, what's the point of a commercial pilot's license?

DJRobbioRobbio said:
Commercial Study Packet includes:

*Basic FAR's pertaining to Commercial pilots
*Aeromedical Factors
*McCauley Constant Speed Propeller diagram/ schematic
*30 ERAU Drafted Comm. Pilot EOC Questions
*Oxygen systems as described/ pertaining to 91.211
*Diagram describing the different prop conditions (over/under/on speed)
*FAA AC 120-12A on Private Carriage vs. Common Carriage of Persons or Property
*Pilot's 'decision' schedule [ie. a go or no-go checklist]

In all it's about 25-30 pages thick. When I have time I'll just type up that whole FAR's section and link it for all to see, so I can prove that I'm not bull********************ting anybody about what I'm learning.

Sure am glad that I'm not waisting good money at ERAU.

A Squared,
That was the most thorough spanking I have seen on here in a while. And in reading this thread, I have effectively doubled the amount of FAR's that I have actually read...

Latest resources

Back