How to start a 135 Company?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

goflyme

Has anyone thought of starting a part 135 company?
If anyone has information about how to start up a company and bid on frieght contracts with Fedex, DHL, and Ups please email me. Or send me information.
I'm thinking about starting a "Mini" Ameriflight with a carvan and a 1900...or similar planes. Just intersted in the particulars

[email protected]

Good luck!!!!!

Seriously - can't help ya' with bidding on contracts but as far as starting a 135 company and getting a certificate - just go ask you're local FSDO- they have all of the info. They get many many requests every year such as this and they generally have an 'info pack' with the steps listed. My old company briefly considered getting a 135 until they realized how much was involved - it's not as easy as you think. Average time from initial application to issue of certificate at this FSDO was running 12 to 18 months. This FSDO even had a general info video tape they required you to watch at the very beginning of the process that will answer alot of your questions.

Keep in mind that even on a very small scale this is going to be an expensive endeavor. Read Part 135 and you'll discover there are alot of postitions that need to be filled(ie Chief Pilot, DO, DOM) and each have experience requirements.

Another option may be to piggy back on someone elses 135 certificate. Basically you pay them a certain amount of $$ every month and they put your aircraft onto their certificate. It has it's pluses and minuses but would would keep you from having to get your own 135 certificate which would be a huge savings in both time and money.

CL600

All of the position requirements can be filled by 1 person. And even if you don't meet the requirements but have some experience, the FAA will usually grant waivers (at some FSDO's).

There are basically 3 types of 135 certificates:

1) Single PIC (as the name implies)
2) Basic 135 (up to 5 PIC's on certificate)
3) Full (unlimited)

With the First one, you don't even have to have an Ops Manual, they just issue you Ops Specs and you are off. One person fills all of the positions and is the PIC and you are done. By the way, you can have up to 5 SIC's with that one.

Good Luck,
JetPilot500

It's actually very very easy - there are hundreds of operators out there that do this for people. Suppose I have a King Air 200 that I want ot fly on charter but I don't want the hassle of getting my own 135 cert. - I go to a charter company(Raytheon, EJM, whoever - there are many) and say "I want to fly my airplane on your certf". They charge you a monthly fee to be on their cert.. Typically they also get a percentage of your charter revenue. Some operators will provide you more services than others(ie dispatch, advertising, etc). It's good because you can use your airplane to make money but don't have to start your own 135 company. However - while flying charters under their certificate you must follow their ops specs, policies, and procedures because they are responsible for you and your actions just like it was one of their own aircraft.

Perhaps that's an overly simplified explanation but that's basically how it works.

CL

Thanks for the info...

How would I find an operator that is willing to do this? Would that operator have to fly the plane I'm interested in flying?
thanks

Just pick up the phone and start calling charter companies!!! I know Raytheon and Exec Jet Mgmt do it - I'm sure there are operators in your area that do it.

The don't have to fly the same type a/c but it is considerably easier if they do I think.

Keep in mind that you have to go to their INDOC and meet their pilot requirements and all of that as well.

PM me if you need more specific info!

CL

Just like CL600Pilot said, Pick up the Phone. Virtually every charter company will take you on. Why wouldn't they? You pay them a management fee and a % of revenue. They have nothing to lose. Not only that, but you can get a ton of other benefits. Charter companies with more than 4 or 5 airplanes usually get volume discounts at FBO's around the country, like Signature. Hangar fees, fuel cost, recurrent sim training, insurance, etc. can all be a lot cheaper by associating yourself with a larger charter company. My airplane is piggybacked onto a local charter company's certificate. We have our own crew and mechanic. You don't necessarily have to have their pilots flying your airplane.

GoodLuck,
JetPilot500

Latest resources

Back