• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to start a 135 Company?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well if the pilots violated an FAR while on a 135 flight, the FAA could obviously pursue enforcement actions against the PIC and SIC and would probably also pursue actions against the holder of the 135 certificate since one of 'their' flight crews violated the FAR and/or the ops specs.

Now if you're talking about like financial(insurance)liability in an accident I don't really know - I've never been that involved in the financial end of it but I would assume that the insurance company that insures the airplane would be on the hook but I don't know - anyone else have any idea??? I'm sure that would be covered in the contract you sign with the 135 operator as to whose insurance yoiu're going to use -alot of times piggyback operators will switch to the same policy as the 135 operator so they can get a group discount - sorta' like a 'multicar' discount on auto insurance.

CL

Considering maintance....

Many people have pm, expressing the concern about maintance. Does insurance cover such events as bird strikes, lightning strikes, and other acts of god? or is this totally my financial responsibility?

thanks

I know that an insurance company will pay to repair damages from sucking a bird into the engine. Damages to the engine and anything else. It may be pro-rated somewhat. Like if you are at TBO then suck the bird, they will not give you a free overhaul.

Good Luck,
JetPilot500

Ditto on lightning strikes. Our King Air got struck a few years back. Someone told us they are lightning magnets? Apparently to the effect that it is a prop and the altitudes they fly? Anyway the pilot told me (I was airlining back from initial training at the time and didn't fly for a month) that he was 50 nm from nearest cell (in August) at FL 210 in a thin wispy layer and clear all around when he saw a flash and heard a pop. Proceded without incident. Apparently the strike came through the tips of both props, through the power section (magnetized parts of the governors) and exited the trailing edge of the flaps, burning a small hole in each. Props redressed, governors OVH, power section tear down, flaps reskinned = $80,000 which the insurance covered.

I've worked for several part 135 outfits, one doing contract freight for DHL, UPS and the like, and the other a "people charter" outfit. I would do PLENTY of checking into the freight business before starting a 135 outfit. It seems to me that there are soooo many of these businesses out there competing for a few jobs that most of them are pretty poorly run. Have flown with alot of commuter guys also that quit flying freight due to shotty maintenence, blatant disregard of duty and flight time limitations, you name it.. Its a tough business!!

S.B.

We did 135 with ejm for several years, there is pros and con. Great fuel prices throughtout the country,fleet insurance policy and flight safety discounts. Slow at paying for trips you flew and sometimes flew trips you didn't make money at. You will have to explain to your boss why you did such trips, gotta take the good with the bad. We are in the process of going on someone else's 135 we have been at it since December, the FAA is really backed up, we were given 12-14 months it could take. If we are lucky we will do the proving runs in October or November (25hours) Insurance requirements have really changed since 9/11 as everyone is aware of, so get ready. I agree the simpliest way is to go on someone elses certificate, just be ready for to deal with both sides of the fence.

What FSDO are you having that much trouble with?

Latest resources

Back