• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to save the Airline Industry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are different lifestyles for all different kinds. I would have loved the domestic freigher deal as while the night sort would have been difficult, the week on week off and the fact the turns were only 4 nights a week would have been great.

my point earlier was that everyone likes to point to the major NE Fortune companies, the Worldcoms etc where there were a bunch of greedy people caught up in themselves who took and took. I am saying that there are a much larger group who work 55 hours plus may communte in for an hour and out for an hour who have to travel all over the place and who have the employees respect and who care much about their people.

If you don't like being away from home, becoming a pilot is not for you. Likewise being a flight attendant would not be a good career choice.

Find what fits what is important to you and quit worrying about everyone else.

Publishers said:
I am saying that there are a much larger group who work 55 hours plus may communte in for an hour and out for an hour who have to travel all over the place and who have the employees respect and who care much about their people.

You're absolutely right. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any of these people in management in the airline industry.

A friend works as an orthapedic implant salesman. 2yr degree and makes >$300,000 a year. Reason: passing on the cost to the customer. Am I saying we should be making $300,000 a year? No. Just that in the scheme of things we're not overpayed. On the street I live on I have the highest level of education and training, yet we are the poor folks on the block. I love flying as a job, but if the trend continues downward people such as myself that can make money doing other things will probably just leave the industry.

HPpilot said:
On the street I live on I have the highest level of education and training, yet we are the poor folks on the block. I love flying as a job, but if the trend continues downward people such as myself that can make money doing other things will probably just leave the industry.

We see the same thing in the AF Reserves. The active AF guys eligible to leave are mostly choosing to stay, or so I hear. Those in the Reserves on furlough are working toward full time military positions or preparing for different careers. I don't know if or when it will get better. My hunch is it will bounce back some in the near future but will never get to where it was before. If oil goes to $80 the 'bounce back' will be MUCH different.

On the flip side, folks getting into other careers is good knews for corporate and regional folks. They will be in higher demand, on a relative basis.

This is where the money is...people getting older, needing replacement parts. Sign me up.

HPpilot said:
A friend works as an orthapedic implant salesman. 2yr degree and makes >$300,000 a year. Reason: passing on the cost to the customer. Am I saying we should be making $300,000 a year? No. Just that in the scheme of things we're not overpayed. On the street I live on I have the highest level of education and training, yet we are the poor folks on the block. I love flying as a job, but if the trend continues downward people such as myself that can make money doing other things will probably just leave the industry.

HPpilot said:

Good luck walking in with a 4 year degree and interviewing for a job such as this. You'll need years and years of experience and commitment in the same field making next to nothing in a job you hate to get the opportunity to have a look at this sort of job. Sound a bit like flying for a regional???

This guy is no different than the Delta CAs who used to make $300,000 a year. There are more MBAs out there who make $75k a year who have friends who work as airline Captains, 4 year state college degrees, work 10 days a month and make >$200,000 a year.

miles otoole said:
Good luck walking in with a 4 year degree and interviewing for a job such as this. You'll need years and years of experience and commitment in the same field making next to nothing in a job you hate to get the opportunity to have a look at this sort of job. Sound a bit like flying for a regional???

This guy is no different than the Delta CAs who used to make $300,000 a year. There are more MBAs out there who make $75k a year who have friends who work as airline Captains, 4 year state college degrees, work 10 days a month and make >$200,000 a year.

Can you tell me where these captains are? I have never met one.

Latest resources

Back