• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to Properly Land a C-172.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All these guys are way off in what they are telling you.

Be configured by 1000', be stabilized by 500' -- hold about 45-55% N1 depending on the weight -- and when the airplane says "20" reduce the thrust to idle and........wait, what forum is this? ;)

Super Skyhawk

CaptX That would be the porcedures for the Super Skyhawk that is turbin powered wouldn't it?

Last edited:
On thing to mention regarding a 180 after departure with a failed engine. Always turn into the wind if a crosswind exists. This will allow you to remain more aligned with the departure runway should you need to turn back. A tailwind behind you will put you further away and require more manuevering. Since many airports have multiple runways which intersect, sometimes a 180 back to the same runway isn't always necessary. In terms of banking, I recall a study done which showed that an approximate 45 degree bank was safe and provided a better return on altitude during the turn than did a shallower bank. The shallower bank took longer to get turned around and left you further from the runway.

Amen! You must have flown gliders!

-Goose

If you are looking to grease it on then here is the trick. Yes cross the fence at ref but at the same time keep rolling the trim nose up intil almost or full up; (on short final) that way you will not use so much back pressure and inevitably smack the mains down. Then just practice. Works every time. BUT; be ready on the trim if you have to go around; just shove the nose forward and start rolling the trim forward if that time comes! Let me know how it works.

I wouldn't tell a student to do that in a million years.

-Goose

As one of my mentors once told me, "Just fly the plane.". Every new plane takes some getting used to. Fly the speed you are supposed to in the configuration you are supposed to and just practice. Then again this advice may be unnecessary because you have probably moved on with your life by now.

As one of my mentors once told me, "Just fly the plane.". Every new plane takes some getting used to. Fly the speed you are supposed to in the configuration you are supposed to and just practice. Then again this advice may be unnecessary because you have probably moved on with your life by now.

I couldnt agree more. I cant believe how techincal this thread has gotten. Numbers are nice but we all know what pitch and power does for us. Just find the combo of pitch and power that works for the situation and see what happens. If its not the right combo, go around and adjust. You already know how to land, just make it happen.

I've only done one (my first) flight (one assisted landing) but its interesting to see so many different ways people are landing these C172's. We were in a 172K.

I was just running two things through my head... pitch for attitude, throttle for altitude. K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid :D

Bear one thing in mind: approach speed is relative to weight, you don't have to be flying a 747 to apply this. If you're lighter, fly a little slower.

Then again, I don't see why every one thinks of "soft landings" when you talk about "good landings." If you want a "good landing," put it down where you want it, aligned with the runway, in control, on the mains, and go easy on the brakes.

People get so fixated on making it soft that they often round out too high, side load, flat spot, blow tires, float halfway down the runway followed by excessive braking, hit the nose gear first, etc. Any 10 hour pilot can grease it on from time to time, but there's a lot more to saving wear and tear on your plane.

Latest resources

Back