How to Pack

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK, I don't often do longer than a 4-day, but here goes:

4 Day trip. Assumes all-climate overnights, like a trip last winter that was FLL, MSP, MSY:

In my suitcase:
4 each fresh undies, socks, t-shirts (one each day plus a spare set just in case)
2 Uniform shirts (2 days each, plus a spare)
1 Pair uniform pants (2 days each again, pretty hard to get navy pants too dirty to reuse)
1 Pair denim jeans
1 Pair zip-off leg warmup pants/shorts (blue or dark grey)
1 Pair Teva or similar sandals (can go to the pool, shower if it's gross, plus wear out with the shorts or jeans)
1 Pair tennis shoes (MAYBE, only if it's a good gym or I plan to walk a lot. These are bulky, and otherwise I get away with uniform shoes/jeans and the sandals)
1 long sleeve t-shirt or polo (all shirts are on the black-white monochrome to allow layering and go with jeans or shorts)
2 short-sleeve t shirts (colors as above)
1 short-sleeve polo shirt (always grey or white, can go on over the t-shirt for a deadhead leg to avoid the stupid pax questions onboard)
1 combo charger for cell phone and web-enabled PDA
1 shaving kit with all toiletries
1 swimsuit
1 Gore-Tex or similar windproof jacket (For cold-places it ends up as the outer layer over a long-sleeve shirt and my air force-type uniform sweater if needed)
1 Ohio State ballcap-pick your favorite school (Covers headset-hair and my bald spot, plus it's a converaation starter when in a bar, there's OSU alums and fans everywhere)
1 spare tie and set of epaulets
1 small sewing kit with extra shirt buttons

All of the above can fit in a Purdy-Neat 23" rollaboard with a little packing talent, and I'm 6 foot plus and a former football player, so it's not small clothing.

On my person:
Black belt and shoes that come off the uniform and go with the jeans.

Finally in my tote that goes up front with me:
Digital camera
PDA
my favorite snacks
Current reading material
Anything else that fits the situation

This plan has worked for me for six years, YMMV..

..CT

Last edited:
Chicken Taco said:
1 Gore-Tex or similar windproof jacket (For cold-places it ends up as the outer layer over a long-sleeve shirt and my air force-type uniform sweater if needed)
1 Ohio State ballcap-pick your favorite school (Covers headset-hair and my bald spot, plus it's a converaation starter when in a bar, there's OSU alums and fans everywhere)

Hey, Gore-Tex and OSU cap are part of my standard gear, too (Hell yeah, us OSU alums are everywhere!).

My new favorite travel accessory: combo cell phone USB data cable/charger that plugs into the laptop. It's just a tiny cord that charges the cell thru a USB port, and it also lets you dial-up on the internet thru the phone too. It's handy when there's no convenient 'net access and you gotta check email. Best $20 I ever spent.

In my suitcase:

You wear a hat or cap indoors? Do gentlemen do this nowdays?

HEADWIND

Headwind said:
You wear a hat or cap indoors? Do gentlemen do this nowdays?
HEADWIND

Are you assuming that we're gentlemen? :)

Duderino said:
Yeah, can't leave home with out 'em.

I swear I'm not making this up... I heard a Budweiser "Real Man of Genius" ad on the radio the other day saluting the inventor of jean-shorts. The term they used was "j-orts" ... :D

Now I nearly crack up every time I see a guy wearing a pair...

They mean Ohio State. There seem to be a lot of Buckeyes on this board, which will make the 10th of September verrrry interesting around here. :D

h25b said:
I swear I'm not making this up... I heard a Budweiser "Real Man of Genius" ad on the radio the other day saluting the inventor of jean-shorts. The term they used was "j-orts" ... :D

Now I nearly crack up every time I see a guy wearing a pair...

I forgot about that! Here's a link to every Real Men of Genius Bud Light commercial! The Mr. Jean Shorts Inventor is about 3/4 of the way down.

http://www.ksilebo.com/realamerican/

Edited to include the link. That would help. Thanks Brett.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back