• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to Earn Respect as an Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It has nothing to do with Hats and Shiny Shoes...Or talking to Kids in Airports, or giving directions to People.

The intent of the post is well meaning, but will never serve to correct the Ills we face collectively.

Good Luck All.

MKR
Ding Ding Ding,
We have a winner! Hats, jackets whatever! Every time a junior pilot get shoved under the bus, the majority of American pilots just keep on keepin on. You wanna know who the real pilot hero's are? The Chinese pilots who are standing up for their collective rights, but I guess thats not new, check the guy who stood off the tank in the big square. American pilots are just a slice of the rest of America, no different, now go back to your TiVo'd copy of American Idol, there are Chinese dudes protecting the profession for you.
PBR

In order to work for the airlines in the good old days, you were required to have 20/20 vision uncorrected, pass much stricter physical's, prior military experience, etc. The doors have been opened to anyone with a pulse who can pay for their ratings. Naturally the pool of qualified people will become polluted and the "profession" will as well.

Yeah, your right. Unless have 20/20 and belonged to the taxpayer funded aero club, you don't have the right to be here!
Did I miss your point?

Public Perception

zkmayo said:
Unfortunately, a great number of people today dont respect themselves first and foremost (Look like trash, speak using improper language, dress like theyre doing laundry, disrepectful to others). Its hard to respect pilots, or anyone or anything else for that matter, if you dont respect yourself first.

I read through this tread earlier today and was impressed with the original poster and I have to agree. I also have to agree with zkmayo. It doesn't have to do with low time, high time, captain or fo. It's the individual.

Anyway, just before shutting down the computer I wanted to see if I could find a picture of the e170 flight deck. This is what I found:Linky

From airliners.net...

"... The cloth on US domestic seats are better for longer flights, but the UAX seats in first used by Mesa on the CR7 and Chautauqua on the E170 are only comfortable for short haul. The first class flight attendant named Anastasia on this flight was serving drinks. She was a nice lady that was being friendly and was a new hire. She wasn’t anywhere near as professional as a mainline flight attendant, but served adequately. We then asked for the registration number of the plane. She was confused as to what we wanted, so Zone1 asked for her to go ask the captain. She then came back saying N514Monkey Jet. Zone1 found this hilarious. Overall I don’t think she has ever had that request in her life before..."

I posted this w/o reading his entire post, but reading beyond this he does write about the only thing unpleasant with MESA was the lack of professionalism from flight attendants.

Here's to respect and the public perception:beer:

Gotta wonder who else reads that and what is perceived?

eP.

Last edited:
Yeah, your right. Unless have 20/20 and belonged to the taxpayer funded aero club, you don't have the right to be here!
Did I miss your point?

Nope! Spot on buddy. I'm civilian and know a lot of professional civilian pilots just as good or better than military. In my humble opinion, I have great respect for the military trained pilot who's dedicated 10 years over the now 250-500 hour regional new hire. Most are highly motivated and have a high sense of self- worth compared to the stereo type regional new hire willing to work for food stamps. What happens to any profession when you cut the requirements by 3/4? If anyone can do it, you're not going to be specialized.

Nope! Spot on buddy. I'm civilian and know a lot of professional civilian pilots just as good or better than military. In my humble opinion, I have great respect for the military trained pilot who's dedicated 10 years over the now 250-500 hour regional new hire. Most are highly motivated and have a high sense of self- worth compared to the stereo type regional new hire willing to work for food stamps. What happens to any profession when you cut the requirements by 3/4? If anyone can do it, you're not going to be specialized.

You don't make complete sense. What does' your interpretation of medical standards have to do with motivation? Are you telling me that an Air combat Instructor who wears glasses is not up to standards?
Everyone starts with no experience.
A new hire at a regional has always earned crap. Military guys have gone from 10 years service to the standard "kick in the nuts" salary in order to crack the heavy metal market. Whats the difference.
There will be below average people in every profession, low hour requirments has nothing to do with it really. Uniteds old mins were 350 hrs!!!!!!!!
Many overseas airlines have been big hirers of low timers. CX, QF,etc.
There is a demand right now, simple as that. Don't go blaming entry level guys for bringing down the image.
Most are motivated and work hard.
With 4000 hrs, you have hardly been around the block! Remember, all those trying to get started have to pass the same standrards you did.
Airlines can reduce mins because they are allowed to. Talk to the FAA if you don't like it.
It's up to the individual to look after themselves. Stereo typing stinks of facism.

How to earn respect as an airline pilot:

Pick out the things about other pilots that annoy me while ignoring the things about me that annoy others.
Post those things on a message board. Sit back and feel warm with gratification.

I do respect the military pilots, but I don't think that service prepares them for an airline job. The regional pilot flying part 121 is much more qualified for a job at a major airline.

It has been my experience that the military people in my classes have always been the ones who were more confused, studied all the time & asked strange questions.

I think 1 of 10 military people are qualified for a major vs 3 of 10 regional people.

There are a lot of dorky pilots out there, I notice it walking around in the terminal now too.

Why is it that regional pilots feel they need to wear their sunglasses on their heads instead of their hats? Why do they carry backpacks like they are in high school?

I agree with the fat thing, lose weight!!! It is not that tough unless you have a disease, just don't eat everything you see.

DIAMONDDD said:
How to earn respect as an airline pilot:

Pick out the things about other pilots that annoy me while ignoring the things about me that annoy others.
Post those things on a message board. Sit back and feel warm with gratification.

Deep.

eP.

1. Wear your uniform proudly, even if you don't like
your company. This includes the uniform hat if
required.

2. Don't talk badly about your company in the
public, if you like to complain, do it in private!

3. When people ask is your job easy respond with a
"no" and inform them it takes years of training.
Let them know you ARE responsible for their lives
when they are on board your flight.

4. Take a look at pictures from the 1970's of what
airline pilots looked like. This is what we should
be emulating.

5. Don't sit at the gate and yawn in public. If you
are tired stay in the crew room and rest until
your flight.

6. Try not to become a fat slob. Stay in shape and
look the part of a professional!

I know some will respond with hate for the statements above, but this is why I always viewed the airline pilots I saw as Gods. The Pan Am Clipper pilots taxiing their brand new 747s into the gates at JFK, absolutely awesome. We are the ones that make our jobs seem insignificant to the public. Don't let this happen, that is why they don't respect us.

Earn the respect of the pulblic and you will also earn the respect of management!

Well Said.. and I would add to that, be respectful of others in your profession who may not have been as lucky as you in picking or timing their being hired at the airline that's ontop today.. you may be the next one looking for that lower end job or being on the street and on unemployment with kids, pre-existign conditions and no medical insurance.

Latest resources

Back