• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to Earn Respect as an Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can we get back to the original purpose of this thread? Promoting professionalism.

Also consider you are talking about a moniker message board. Who is T8? Who is PCL128?

Can there be a better reply from guys like me and PCL128? Sure... I don't speak for PCL, but I'll work on it.... That is all I can control....

Keep in mind that a poster starts a thread about professionalism and guys like PCL and I defend the notion of professionalism.

Have you considered that by chiding us, you motivate the anti establishment guys? Do you allow free choice over ones interpretation of professionalism but not the defence of it?

That is the real threat: Guys like PCL do Walk the Walk. He spends about 10 guys worth of time trying to make this profession better. His time would be better spent defending this profession against gov't and management, but it is spent defending against our own.

How'd you respond if one of your own in your own house (aka our profession) trashed it. How do you reason with someone who wants to fight the only methodology that has a concern for thier welfare?

How do you fight ignorance and apathy on a moniker message board all while concerned the masses will believe that doing nothing is an acceptable path?

If you are aware of the youngest generation, this pilot gig is just that... something to try out and if it gets too uncomfortable they will bail. 20-somethings are doing this in every industry... it is not exclusive to airline pilots...

Guys like PCL have done more to defend and promote the COE than most of us.... yet he gets a "smackdown". Have you considered that you've devalued the profession by critiqing a defender?

number one rule of a professional and above board critique....

Offer a compliment before a complaint.....

T8-

Perhaps you missed this......post #117 A reply?

Rezfully yours...

In order to work for the airlines in the good old days, you were required to have 20/20 vision uncorrected, pass much stricter physical's, prior military experience, etc. The doors have been opened to anyone with a pulse who can pay for their ratings. Naturally the pool of qualified people will become polluted and the "profession" will as well.

In order to work for the airlines in the good old days, you were required to have 20/20 vision uncorrected, pass much stricter physical's, prior military experience, etc. The doors have been opened to anyone with a pulse who can pay for their ratings. Naturally the pool of qualified people will become polluted and the "profession" will as well.

Hence the evolution of the airline or any given industry.

Pilots during the turn of the century were considered "supermen" for thier daring ability....

As an industry matures, grows and expands (economically) so does the aura of "special capabilities" lessen. Technonolgy can play a role, but supply and demand is the real "diluter" of the profession. Simply said, the more pilots that fly, the more common and the greater the need, then the less "elite" or better.. unique.

In addition, our current economic model mandates that we play the costs against the risk. The Corporati's are playing the fatigue card almost to the point of brinkmanship... When the jets start crashing is when they will back off... usually with a public outcry and a congressional hearing.. Then a bandaid will be issued...but for certain, the compensation of the profession will NOT be adjusted for the better.

When the Corporati's start petitioning the Dept of State, the FAA and the DHS for work visa's and license conversions, etc.. so third world citizens can fly our jets (in about 10-20 years) then we will really lose respect for our profession. How many people respect, look up to or covet other immigrant workers?

So where does that leave us? What about professionalism? Who is responsible for it? Are THEY supposed to make the profession better? The Union Leaders? The Check Airman? Who?

How about you?

Professionalism is an individual choice.

Last edited:

haven't followed this thread much, but I'll submit that scope and pay go hand in hand on this issue. Other professions have 'evolved' as well but lawyers and doctors still seem to keep their respect as professionals.

haven't followed this thread much, but I'll submit that scope and pay go hand in hand on this issue. Other professions have 'evolved' as well but lawyers and doctors still seem to keep their respect as professionals.

Consider...

Lawyers:

Have you heard this one... In a bar a customer said "All lawyers are assh%#s!!. Another customer said "I resent that". The first cutomer said "are you a lawyer?" and the reply was "no I am an assh%#!

I haven't heard that type of joke about pilots.

Doctors:

With mal practice insurance and insurance companies calling the shots and questioning decisions on doctors judgement I don't think doctors are as respected as they were...

The point is... our entire culture and value system is being turned upside down. If one gets out of flying I think they will have problems in another field...

No... better to stick to it... and try and make it better from within...

I'm in.

Last edited:
Consider...

Lawyers:

Have you heard this one... In a bar a customer said "All lawyers are assh%#s!!. Another customer said "I resent that". The first cutomer said "are you a lawyer?" and the reply was "no I am an assh%#!

I haven't heard that type of joke about pilots.

Doctors:

With mal practice insurance and insurance companies calling the shots and questioning decisions on doctors judgement I don't think doctors are as respected as they were...

The point is... our entire culture and value system is being turned upside down. If one gets out of flying I think they will have problems in another field...

No... better to stick to it... and try and make it better from within...

I'm in.

"Two."

by improving scope and increasing pay.

Latest resources

Back